Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Left side crank case cover (Read 188 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Left side crank case cover
Reply #15 - 08/16/09 at 15:40:13

Impact helps, but those of us who are tool chalanged...

stick a penny inbetween the gears just like in the arcade where they restamp the penny with pictures it's gonna get stamped with a tooth.

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #16 - 08/17/09 at 13:37:16

eanon wrote on 08/16/09 at 13:32:53:
this is a little off topic but I already had the thread started so,

Clutch basket removal.  The darn thing just spins when I try to remove the nut.  After some thinking, aha!, bike has to be in gear.  (we all make stupid mistakes, right?)  any easy way to remove the nut holding the basket without putting the bike in gear?   OR  Any easy way to put her in gear without reassembly?  (remember, i couldn't get the timing plug cover off, so i have removed both side covers, and have already removed the tensioner and the cam shaft.)  Got to love stupid mistakes.  Angry

I remember removing the clutch some time ago.  I reinstalled 2 of the 4 bolts which hold the springs on, then used a huge screwdriver as a lever placed diagnonally across those bolts to hold the clutch stationary while I loosed the big nut.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #17 - 08/18/09 at 13:15:21

"stick a penny inbetween the gears just like in the arcade where they restamp the penny with pictures it's gonna get stamped with a tooth."

yeah, I even have a piece of scrap aluminum, just like the "special tool" on the TMH CD.  (very helpful Cd, if any doesn't have it....)  Only problem is, when i try to loosen the clutch hub nut, the inside of the basket (compression plate and clutch sleeve hub) spins separate from the clutch plates and the actual "basket".  Only reason I can see is cause it's not in gear.  Then, of course, I broke the clutch cam trying to "manually" put it in gear (pull up on clutch arm, push shifter arm forward, and spin drive sprocket), so there's NO getting her in gear for at least a week. Undecided

"I reinstalled 2 of the 4 bolts which hold the springs on, then used a huge screwdriver as a lever placed diagnonally across those bolts to hold the clutch stationary while I loosed the big nut."

Didn't foul up the screws or springs, huh?  Might have to try that.  Still trying to get a hold of my buddy with the impact....

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #18 - 08/18/09 at 13:53:28

[quote author=3F3B3435345A0 link=1250364007/15#17 date=1250626521"I reinstalled 2 of the 4 bolts which hold the springs on, then used a huge screwdriver as a lever placed diagnonally across those bolts to hold the clutch stationary while I loosed the big nut."

Didn't foul up the screws or springs, huh?  Might have to try that.  Still trying to get a hold of my buddy with the impact.... [/quote]

I didn't put the springs back on, just the bolts.  Just hand tight as I rcall, and it didn't mess them up.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #19 - 08/18/09 at 14:22:08

sounds good.  will try.  

just so I have it correct, clutch hub nut is right hand (normal) thread, and primary drive gear nut is left hand?

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/18/09 at 14:31:00

Primary is left correct (right?)

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #21 - 08/18/09 at 15:47:58

ok, so I feel really stupid.  granted, I'm not some mechanical guru, in fact, most of my wrenching experience is on the savage, but still.....  

so serenity said to use the bolts as lever points.  tried this.  screwed all the way in, the bolts sit below the level of the clutch sleeve hub, so a screwdriver, placed horizontally across, does not reach them.  I unscrewed the bolts half way so they would stick out far enough, but really didn't like the idea of applying pressure to the bolts like that (images of fouled threads and bent bolts kept popping into my head.)

so, I found 4 washers.  od big enough to cover the springs and id big enough for the bolts to go through.  put the springs back on (no pressure plate) washers, then bolts.  tightened everything up, and viola!  clutch engages primary driven gear which engages primary drive gear and I can use the special tool (scrap alum) to hold everything in place!  clutch basket and plates removed!  Now back to advanced auto to get a 30mm sprocket.

i really should start getting all the tools needed before starting a job.......

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:09:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Left side crank case cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.