Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
needin a little horsepower =] (Read 691 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
needin a little horsepower =]
08/16/09 at 10:15:49

ok, so everyone wants me to get a bigger bike so i can cruise comfortably(not me the bike) at around 80 miles and hour or so.

for some reason 70 takes a little work 2 get to on my bike is that normal?

BUT i love my savage and don't want another bike(nor can i afford one lol) so i'm here to ask the experts what to do. please tell me there's a little horsepower hiding in the thumper lol

i want to keep my header because i wrapped it, i'm sure there's a carb and exhaust kit that should do the trick. i was thinking of doing the cold air mod but it rains so much i don't want to risk it.

it's not anytime soon, and i'll def want to fix my rubber cap leak thing that plagues the savages apparently. i looked into mine and i thought it was the bolt right behind the header but it is the cap rubber thing to the top left and it drips down.

SO any suggestions? and i know i'm not going to get "i feel this makes it faster" u guys know what you are talking about that's why i ask! couldn't find too much on a google search lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: needin a little horsepower =]
Reply #1 - 08/16/09 at 10:21:53

So remind me, whatcha got?
wat muf?
wat jets?
wat air filter?
year?

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 08/16/09 at 10:36:37

yes sir! '95!

stock filter, and jets as far as i know, and my muffler is stock except for a few holes drilled in it  Grin

how much faster is one with jets, carb & muffler? air filter too i guess! and is it ok to add a little power to these bad boys? i know some cars aren't made for much more then stock.

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #3 - 08/16/09 at 11:01:13

I would say you need a chain conversion not HP.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 08/16/09 at 11:05:34

yeah? i don't think i wanna mess with things like that. paranoid about messing something up u know?

when i do the engine mods, i'm hopin my mechanic buddy will help!

IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #5 - 08/16/09 at 11:17:05

Rocco,

I wanted more power too because traffic in Milwaukee can a little hectic on the highway and a top end of 65-70 seems dangerous at times.

More power is more fuel/air, which means less restrictive air filter, rejet, and less restrictive muffler.

I did that and 80-85 isn't a problem.  I think top end is about 90 but I haven't tried yet or expect to try.

Only caveat is once you mess with those things, it takes a while to dial everything in just right, so make sure the extra power is worth the hassle/expense involved.

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/16/09 at 12:09:09

I have a '96 which most likely is the same as a '95.
I say that because there's one here who really complained that the bike couldn't get up to what everyone else could, maybe cause the bike was geared different.  Thinking back, I'm guessing it was a tranny or perception problem.  Don't know which, it would take a tach and a ride to figure out.

my '96 would do 70 easy, I think it went up to 80/85 stock before the knuckles went white.
So let's talk thru the simple stuff and narrow it down.

Everything on your bike is stock?  (muf w/holes understood)
Nuthin' replaced?

I'm asking point blank cause I know there's a dif in carb's in the early years.  I got an '02 with an '88 carb, it has a 155 main, it should pull like a raped ape.  It's better than the '96 w/a slipping clutch, but not awsome.  And the top end up my favorite hill is slower.  (Don't worry I got a fix for it already,  Wink Boohaha)

The '96 ran best with a 150 and a supertrapp w/12 disks... 87 up my favorite hill.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 08/16/09 at 12:38:20

with a very slight down hill I can get to 100mph (indicated). I can run 95 with out any problems and I always could even with everything factory so that is kind of odd that some get 65-80 top.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 08/16/09 at 13:36:26

i see what u mean about hassle and expense but i guess it's cheaper then a new bike.

what are the disks everyone speaks of? lol

and if she did 90 i woulda never asked this question!! haha

can i get a less restrictive muffler, a k&n filter and do maybe rejet the carb(though i have no idea how!) and that'll solve my problem?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 08/16/09 at 13:48:08

The disks are specific for a super trapp muffler. The disks allow you to tune the muffler to your mods for maximum efficiency. The more disks you put in, the freer flowing the muffler is.

Rejetting, change muffler, and K&N air filter were my first mods, and they did help my power and top end. All of those mods are very easy to do. I also replaced my cam with one of Lancer's performance cams (his first generation though when I can I will be getting his second generation cam) and that helped even more. That too is rather easy to do yourself.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 08/16/09 at 13:55:49

thanks yonuh for clearing up the disk thing lol i was lost!

ok so if i get a different brand muffler i won't even have those.

ok so how do u rejet? is it expensive? how hard is it to take out the carb, it shouldn't be too difficult. and what brand of jets do u recommend?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #11 - 08/16/09 at 14:15:25

Contact Lancer for one his jet kits. They are very reasonably priced. To pull the carb can be a bit tricky if you don't pull the battery box first. The jets are under the bowl of the carb. When you remove the bowl, the jets are right there. You just unscrew the old ones and screw in the new ones.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/16/09 at 14:25:07

Get a jet kit as said and see how it goes would be the 1st step.
You've drilled out the muff so it's a little more open.
Do you have backfiring now?
indicates lean
I'd go up to a 150 or do the test if you don't have the jets yet.
I know you're in swampland so this might be the hard part...
find yourself a hill that you can go WOT and achieve a steady state speed.  Doesn't matter which gear just as long as you can't wind it completely out.
Now from WOT (wide open throttle) back off a little, does it seem to pick up a little?  If so go up one jet size.  My guess is you're gonna go up to 152.5, one size higher than mine cause you're one step above drownin'   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/16/09 at 14:33:46

How much does the jet kit cost?

Once you've got them in, do you have to pull the carb to adjust them?  I just got a new muffler and am wanting to rejet as well.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/16/09 at 14:42:18

check the tech section for the carb cleaning post and you'll know all about it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:43:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › needin a little horsepower =]

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.