Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil consumption at full grin (Read 272 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Oil consumption at full grin
08/13/09 at 22:10:20

The new2me '02 seems to burn just as much oil as the '96 did.
Now when I can actually stay under 70 the whole week, I'll end up with as much as I started with.  But once it gets up to 75 the grin kicks in and I sware those grin muscles pull so tight my hand justs twists uncontrollably.  And it's not until my destination comes into sight that a frown appears and the throttle shuts off.  Hell I even blew right by another savage and all I could manage was a 2 fingered salute as he disappeared from sight.

So what do you guys think?
The greater speed vaporizes the oil better and blows it out the breather?
Or the greater speed overheats the oil and boils it off?

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Oil consumption at full grin
Reply #1 - 08/13/09 at 22:51:49

Huff'n'puff'n out the head tube - both my '95 and '02 will do it if running in high grin mode

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/13/09 at 22:56:43

So, can we run extra hose or something to keep the oil mist in?

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/14/09 at 00:12:42

Simply acknowledge that huff & puff at high speeds has been seen multiple times by list members and even documented on the first Dragon run trip.  Having done so, simply carry a quart of your favorite oil along with you on those high speed trips to replace the very small amount lost to huff & puff when you are really cooking on the RPMS.

Sometimes you have to accept we are using a large thumper engine that displaces a canned drink's worth of volume every time it goes up and down.  It moves that much air around in the crank case ongoing, back & forth.  Throw in two quarts of oil flying everywhere in that crankcase and churn it constantly with a huge crank and a large counterbalancer that are spinning madly and frothing everything together all the time.

(hey, pick an oil with an anti-froth & anti-oxidation package in it -- Rotella comes to mind)

Suzuki wasn't kidding when it put the large stainless mesh oil separator into the head assembly upstream from the puke tube that goes into an oil reservoir that lives UNDER your air box -- an air box reservoir they ask you to remember to drain at every oil change.

And now we drop in hot cams and start running higher RPMS on purpose -- and what should we expect?   Expect more oil to be exiting the dump tube.   More oil in the airbox reservoir.  More oil lost on high dragon speed trips.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/14/09 at 01:09:34

Reelthing wrote on 08/13/09 at 22:51:49:
Huff'n'puff'n out the head tube - both my '95 and '02 will do it if running in high grin mode

I had to hunt back a few posts for it,... but I really liked Reelthing's explanation a couple of days ago...
Makes good sense to me....

"With a multicylinder engine the oil mist air under the piston when it goes down has some place to go - another piston is going up - on a single it just goes out the head breather hose into the air and then right back in as the piston goes up - with a little loss along the way when some of this are is pulled into the air intake as well as some oil condenses and settles into the bottom of the air that should be drained with each oil change."

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #5 - 08/14/09 at 02:29:22

I HAD that problem, not anymore since the new rings and
exhaust valve rebuilt, not a drop is missing now at any speed
until now (600mi since rebuilt), but lets see how long this bliss
lasts, problem seems to be extremely common too.

In my case it's hard to tell exactly which one was at fault
(valves or rings) since both bad parts would have the same
result, BUT a guy in the savage forum from Spain, I've been
talking to, some engineer, swears it's "ring blow-by" the engine
produces at high RPMs by design regardless of ring conditions;
he says s it's the bore/stroke size and that the oil heats up, thins
and "climbs" the cylinder wall through the microscopic grooves at
constant high speeds and gets burned along with the gas in the
chamber.  

It is well known that most savage riders carry around their
quart of oil when on the road cause of this. Oh, and it is NOT
the oil vent, since my airbox was completely dry when I had
this problem.

Anyway, my 2cents
C'ya

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 08/14/09 at 04:55:09

My airbox is almost dry, just a drop or two when I check. Makes me wonder with all that forces from huff and puff, if that affects the camchain too, as it runs right in the middle of everything. I once had the engine at idle and carefully removed the oil filler cap, and it about ripped the cap out of my hand as soon as I got it off. It was blowing hard and spewing oil out of the hole. It scared the heck out of me, as I didn't expect it that hard. I have a small leak in the clutch cover gasket right behind the oil filler cap, the leakage is bigger the more rpm's. Three times a new gasket couldn't solve it. And the surfaces are damage free. I wonder if my breather hose is clogged, or somewhere on the way up to the head all the way along the cylinder, and that causes that leak to reappear. Too much crank case pressure?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/14/09 at 06:41:00

Ive started it w/o the cap. It does make a racket & blow oil vapor out. I bet w/o that baffle under the cap it would just throw oil out. You can check your hose, hook onto the hose that comes out of the head & blow. Then pull the oil cap & see how it feels. No difference? Its plugged.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #8 - 08/14/09 at 07:58:48

Verslagen,

What oil are you using, 10-40, 20-50?

I was flabergasted when we rode to California and only lost a few oz. in each bike, when using 20-50 dino. Before that I'd loose that same amount of oil in a 300 mile weekend trip, using 10-40 dino. We brought a quart each of 20-50 and I barely used a few oz. on the whole trip! Shocked

Mind you this is riding in Texas-NM-AZ on Interstates, so 75-80 cruzing (Not the speed on the spedo, but actual road speed).

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 08/14/09 at 08:28:17

verslagen1 wrote on 08/13/09 at 22:56:43:

continue to ponder this - seems to me a far cooler running engine could be had if the huff in of air was fresh(filtered) air and puff out of hot air went away but a better oil mist recovery would be needed I think

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/14/09 at 12:10:01

vhfkid wrote on 08/14/09 at 07:58:48:

Rottela Syn 5w40

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 08/14/09 at 14:14:18

verslagen1 wrote on 08/14/09 at 12:10:01:
vhfkid wrote on 08/14/09 at 07:58:48:

Rottela Syn 5w40

Now that's some thin thin stuff there, no wonder...

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #12 - 08/15/09 at 11:58:10

"an air box reservoir they ask you to remember to drain"
Please 'splain this to this newbe. I changed my oil and added the required 2 quarts. Had to suck some out!

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/15/09 at 13:48:03

In the middle at the bottom of the bike is a hose with a plug hanging down.

When you remove that plug, expect something terrible to come out of it, oil/gas/water mixture.

Every bike should get it's hose yanked every time you change the fluids.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/15/09 at 22:30:03

Reelthing wrote on 08/14/09 at 08:28:17:
verslagen1 wrote on 08/13/09 at 22:56:43:

continue to ponder this - seems to me a far cooler running engine could be had if the huff in of air was fresh(filtered) air and puff out of hot air went away but a better oil mist recovery would be needed I think  

OOOOkay, I read my post & theres a HUGE hole in it.

Okay, a Y, one leg up, to let the engine exhale, the oil condenses & drains back in a parallel oil line, to bypass the exhaust reed valve, but it needs its own valve, to close when the exhaust reed opens, so as to not blow the condensed oil back away from the engine.

The return air is sucked in as the piston goes back up, thru the other leg of the Y. Its valve & the return oil valve work at the same time, so, it would be okay for the condensed oil line to go to the intake leg of the Y.

How about an "exhaust" pointed up with an "intake"( the whole thing is a Y) & some reed valves on it? The Exhaust,( with an air filter on top) pointed up, would give the oil a place to condense & drain back to the crankcase, thru a small tube set into it just above the reed valve.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil consumption at full grin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.