Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil consumption at full grin (Read 272 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oil consumption at full grin
Reply #15 - 08/15/09 at 23:11:20

My thought of the longer hose was to increase the chance that oil mist was not exhausted.
Think about it, we have a fairly long large diameter hose as a breather.  Is it long enough so the volume of air expelled is fully contained within the hose?  If it was, the oil mist would never leave the hose and fresh air would never be ingested by the engine.

If we have an inlet of air and exhaust thru this hose we may gain some cooling but we will lose alot more oil.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/16/09 at 07:45:29

Just how would a guy go about figuring out how big the pulse is? Flatten a paper bag & put it over the hose & see how much it inflates it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #17 - 08/16/09 at 15:06:23

I found the hose ( same as a breather hose on a car?). No plug. OK?

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 08/16/09 at 16:47:00

If it was, the oil mist would never leave the hose and fresh air would never be ingested by the engine.

This is why I suggested a Y with reed valves. Long side exhales, short side inhales.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #19 - 08/16/09 at 21:21:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/16/09 at 07:45:29:
Just how would a guy go about figuring out how big the pulse is? Flatten a paper bag & put it over the hose & see how much it inflates it?

about 650cc's I would expect

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 08/16/09 at 21:46:15

How much cooling do you guys think could be had by building a system that made it inhale fresh, ambient temp air instead of the hot blast it just exhaled?

Just that answer is all Im after, I know about the oil loss, seriously, what effect on cooling? Just a SWAG would do me fine.
I wonder how much Would it drive the efficiency down?

Reelthing: Why heck yea, about 650. The exhaust spits it all out a pretty small hole when the piston goes up, so if that hose isnt more restricted than the exhaust, then it oughta be spitting about 650 ccs.
That wadded up pot scrubber in the head cover is all that keeps it from being a straight shot, isnt it?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #21 - 08/16/09 at 22:01:48

that's all that s'pose to strip the oil out - i was pondering maybe the air going in at the filler plug and out at the head - couple check valves or even pcv ball valves would likely do the trick - but a better oil condenser strip'r is needed - how much cooling would such a thing give is a good question - likely make a pretty good air pump!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 08/17/09 at 08:00:54

A valved filler plug replacement would do it. Id expect to see a big increase in lost oil, tho, because if it doesnt "inhale" from the same hole it "exhales", all the oil in the pathway will fail to be sucked back down.,
But, it would make a fun experiment.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil consumption at full grin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.