Send Topic Print
Bell helmet (Read 216 times)
billybloggs
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bell helmet
08/13/09 at 15:03:50

Ok here is one for ya all, i am looking for a Bell rt helmet Black XL, in the UK  they cost a small fortune. :'( :- I have seen them on ebay for around $60 which i think is good, but by the time i put shipping and vat and import taxes on i am back to square 1. Undecided I have heard if you say it is a gift under $59 you will be ok? but dealers will not do this, am i right. Any ideas would be well considered. I could be wrong but i think this is the ideal lid for my 90 savage. Cheers, Billy.

IP Logged
PTRider

Re: Bell helmet
Reply #1 - 08/13/09 at 19:14:54

A very large proportion of impacts to the head happen to the front...your face.  A full face or modular (system) helmet offers protection.  Even if your face ain't much to look at now, it'll probably be worse after after skidding down the pavement.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/13/09 at 19:34:36

Had a friend some years ago who wore an open face Helmet.  He hit the ground and slid along the street, partially on his face.  He lost his nose and most of his lips and the skin on approx. half his face.  When he healed, he looked like a scarred monster with no nose.  No woman would bother with him and he stopped getting invites.  All because he wouldn't wear a full face.  Dammed shame.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/13/09 at 19:42:12

Theres a drawing of a helmet with impact zones on it & in each zone, the %age of impacts in that area. The chin takes the highest %age of impacts. If I hadnt been wearing a flip face HJC, instead of that "normal" helmet with the plastic face shield, I would either be dead or so mangled it would be a horror to not be dead.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #4 - 08/14/09 at 02:00:46

I have a couple of Bell helms, worth every penny  Wink  you wont regret it  (...I paid $150 ea. on sale)

« Last Edit: 08/14/09 at 11:48:33 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/14/09 at 03:20:46

34.6% of impacts are "On the chin". Or, just over 1 out of 3 impacts the head gets hit that part of the face. I saw a guy on his knees in an intersection. His face was gone from about mid nose to the throat. No lower jaw left that I could see. I dont know how he came out of that, but that was a life changing event. I dont know if he was even wearing a helmet, I just have that part of the pic seared into my mind & No, it wasnt a "Kodak Moment".

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
91 UK SAVAGE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

weston super mare,england
Reply #6 - 08/23/09 at 02:49:17

billybloggs wrote on 08/13/09 at 15:03:50:
Ok here is one for ya all, i am looking for a Bell rt helmet Black XL, in the UK  they cost a small fortune. :'( :- I have seen them on ebay for around $60 which i think is good, but by the time i put shipping and vat and import taxes on i am back to square 1. Undecided I have heard if you say it is a gift under $59 you will be ok? but dealers will not do this, am i right. Any ideas would be well considered. I could be wrong but i think this is the ideal lid for my 90 savage. Cheers, Billy.

hi if you buy a helmet in the usa the D.O.T (Department of Transport) approval refers to USA D.O.T approval and not UK approval.  They are however, not UK ‘E’ Marked.

and yes you are right in saying about the shipping from the usa but if you need it you have to go with the flow,and i know it is a pain in the but i have to do this a lot haveing three chevy vans as well.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #7 - 08/25/09 at 08:28:49

98% of all statistics are made up.

But on this one I would have to think that the chin does take the most damage.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/26/09 at 06:24:54

God, you guys,...is this a bit off topic ?? I'm about ready to quit riding, and I just got started again ! (after 30 yrs) If I have to ride in fear, I'm hanging it up now ! Yeah, I just bought a good 1/2 helment,...if thats what you call it. I was very uncomfortable in a full helment. And yeah, I went down once 45 yrs ago.

Give it a break, ok ?

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/26/09 at 06:47:05

Aww, Heck, Routy, you'll be FINE, as long as that 1/2 helmet is the front half.. Smiley

Ive totalled 3 bikes. The first 2, no helmet. The first one, IF I'd had one on, I would been killed, because my neck would have been severly broken, since I landed on a shoulder & the side of my head. Would been like a hangmans noose, snapping it.
The second crash, my head never touched pavement, or anything.
The third, however. I had a flip face helmet on & left a big dent in the cab corner of a small pickup. The strap drove into my throat hard enough that swallowing was a conscious effort for a couple of weeks & I had a split lip (2 stitches worth) from the helmet flexing in when I smashed into the truck. So, One, I woulda died wearing one, one, didnt matter & one, the helmet saved, if not my life, a tremendous amount of pain. You may never even need your helmet & I hope you never do.
May your choices lead to a long life.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/26/09 at 07:20:10

You know JOG2, that would make a great mythbuster.  Do helmets always do more good than harm.  You'd have to explain in great detail how the helmet of death would have killed you, and the one that saved your life.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/26/09 at 15:01:14

I checked the speedo just before I rolled off the bike. It showed 58 MPH. I was in Louisiana, home of the 70 foot wide, 4,000 foot tall pine tree.  Obviously an exageration, the point is, if you go off the road into a place where trees are, you will not miss them, as they are so closely packed you cant see the sky. It was dark & I was out of control & all I knew was there was a grand liklihood I would hit a tree if I didnt stay in the ditch, so I rolled off the bike instead of staying on & riding it out, as I had blown a turn. As I rolled away, I realized I hadnt turned the bars to make sure I didnt get into the bike, so I pushed it. That stopped my rotation. I had planned on landing on my back & pulling the shoulders forward, to make the jacket pull tight & slide. Instead of the back, I landed on the right shoulder & side of the head. That folded my head over so hard my ear was crushed against my left shoulder. had a helmet edge been in there, my neck would have snapped. As it was, I suffered for about 10 years before I went to a chiropractor. Agter seeing about 6 of those guys, on X-rayed it & showed me the vertebrae. They were sitting like , say you take your fists & aim them together, then offset them a knuckle. Just a little more & I wouldnt have walked out of that ditch.
That impact launched me. I came down on my forehead & plowed some soft ground, thinking" Man, If I hit a rovk, Im screwed" Literally, thats what i was thinking, then the lights went out. The bike, an RD400, made 5 endo flips & was totalled. All the grass stains were on the upper body & I was really sore.For a long, long time.

As it turns out, I was in a clearing. Had I stayed on the bike & ridden it out, I would have been in a freshly plowed field.. CRAPPOLA!!!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/26/09 at 17:04:56

I'm going to sell my bikes,I look bad enough I would really be scary without a nose

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/26/09 at 18:51:35

You could do like the guy in Cat Ballou & have a silver one made. Or get one made now & wear it, like a nose helmet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:13:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bell helmet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.