Send Topic Print
oil viewing window (Read 664 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
oil viewing window
08/13/09 at 19:45:24

I have a hard time viewing the oil level in the window. I try holding my bike upright and looking and seems I just can 't get the hang of this.
I have a new s-40 and manual says to run it for a few and then let it rest for 3 mins. Then holding straight up view the window.
I have to literally get down on my knees and hold the bike with one hand which I am leary of doing.
Have any of you found an easier way of viewing your oil level? I have thought of using a mirror..

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: oil viewing window
Reply #1 - 08/13/09 at 19:51:55

The easy way is to have some one hold the bike up level and you look at it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #2 - 08/13/09 at 19:54:38

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/13/09 at 21:14:31

I put it in gear, get on right side, facing the rear of the bike, right hand on throttle & get down on my right knee, pulling down on the bar to make it easier & to stand the bike up. "FEEL" of the bike, let it rock back & forth a bit. If you are working, its leaning. Find the spot where it takes the least effort. Now, look at the window. Itll be awkward at first, but it gets real easy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/13/09 at 21:49:45

The mirror is a dam good idea if you got the eyes for it.

I don't anymore.

I throw a pillow on the ground (knees can't take that either) on the right side about 2 feet out, kneel, elbow on ground, flashlight in hand when needed (yes I put the white cane down) and with the free hand tip the bike up.

And you can get it pretty close to vertical with a block of wood under the kickstand.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 08/14/09 at 00:30:55

verslagen1 wrote on 08/13/09 at 21:49:45:
And you can get it pretty close to vertical with a block of wood under the kickstand.

That's what I do ... works great!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #6 - 08/14/09 at 01:04:20

You should have got one of these with the bike (Part number Suzuki Savage KS-Ext1.0)

I think I might have a spare one somewhere. Let me know if you want me to mail it to you. It cost me $19.95, so just add postage from the UK to get your total price.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/14/09 at 03:22:46

Im gonna have to get me another one of those. I busted mine, turning the TV off..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #8 - 08/14/09 at 03:31:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/14/09 at 03:22:46:
Im gonna have to get me another one of those. I busted mine, turning the TV off..

Just PM me your bank details and I'll ship it today. It'll be with you in 28 days, or so.

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #9 - 08/14/09 at 06:08:32

I got a mirror at the $ store. It's 8 1/2" x 11" in size with a cool silver and black checkered border around it.  Cool

On level ground, I just sit on the bike...normal upright position...and with the mirror in the right hand, lower it until the window is in view.

After the oil is checked, I hang it back on the garage wall...get my black comb out, and do a Fonzie hair check. Aaaaaaay!!!
Grin

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #10 - 08/14/09 at 06:10:56

rofl Justin; nice.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #11 - 08/14/09 at 07:19:29

Down on one knee, mini high powered flashlight in left hand (helps when it's really sunny out) right hand on brake and lean it up straight.

Only once had the problem of my kick stand flipping up on me using this technique. Heard "something" figured it was the stand. Took a bit of slow moving to get on my feet without dropping her. Lucky it was quiet enough that I heard it or would've qualified for a darwin award.

FSO
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/14/09 at 19:25:38

My tank bag has things in it.  I pull out the tire gauge and check the front wheel & front suspension, check the tire pressure, look at the tread and walls.  Do the rear, also look at the bags and belt.  Sit down on the bike,  pop the pressure gauge into the pencil keeper in the bag and pull out my extender mirror.  Rock the bike to be sure I'm level, then use the mirror to take a peek.  The window fills the little mirror and I can see it perfetly.  I fold it up, clip it in with my mileage book.  Then check the lights and other controls, if the gas is getting low on the trip meter (no gauge) I pull the tank cap and look in.  If it's low, I put on "prime."

Then I put on my helmet, visor up, and gloves.  Back out.  Pull out choke and start up.  Blip the clutch in neutral a couple of times, make sure I've got oil everywhere, and friction zone the beast over the gravel and grass up to the pavement.  Pop the choke in a notch and I'm on my way.  At the top of the hill, after the stop sign, I push the clutch in all the way.

I've only had to bend over at each wheel.  I have a tire pump right at hand, too.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #13 - 08/15/09 at 07:25:40

i face the oil window toward sun or light, hold it upright with  the front brake with right hand so it's more stable, kneel/lean down to view window.

it's really hard to see if you don't have sun or direct light (e.g. in my dank, dark garage)  a trouble light on the floor behind me helps

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #14 - 08/17/09 at 10:12:31

PhilM wrote on 08/14/09 at 01:04:20:
You should have got one of these with the bike (Part number Suzuki Savage KS-Ext1.0)

http://www2.b3ta.com/host/creative/23179/1250236580/standextender.jpg

Ah seen a whoal piahl o' them kickstand extenders at a vacant lot th'other day.  Would ye believe somebuddy is usin' 'em to build a house with?  Grin

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:22:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil viewing window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.