Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Jingle Jangle...
08/12/09 at 16:08:53

I've recently been hearing a light jingle jangle sound from down below, and was beginning to suspect the cam chain... a tinklely sound like gently shaking a set of keys...
First suspect,... the keys!.... nope, not the keys...
Second,... maybe I'm too lean and it's valve rattle... nope... I stepped up one on the pilot jet..
So I notice, it only comes at that float position,  not accelerating or decelerating,... right in that middle float area...
Must be the cam chain....
Then, I notice that if I get up to speed and pull in the clutch,... I can vary the throttle and the noise stays the same...
Not related to engine rpm....
Hmmm,.... Drivetrain?....

So I pulled the drive pulley cover and saw that the big pulley nut was no longer flat edge to the washer crimp.
Crank on the nut and it started to move before 25 ft pounds.  
I had to have a buddy come sit on the bike and hold the rear brake while I cranked her down.   I think I remember that it should be 85ft lbs.,... I cranked it to 95 or a 100ft lbs with a new dab of loc-tite just to be sure.

Test ride says,.. no noise,...Bingo!... pulley nut was making the noise...

So if your spurs are going jingle jangle,.. check that big ol' nut...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Jingle Jangle...
Reply #1 - 08/12/09 at 17:04:07

Thanks, I will, been hearing a tinka tinka tink when ever I pass something that will reflect the noise back to me.  Was worth about 2 weeks of head light fixin' with no joy.  Undecided  But the headlight aint rattlin' no mo.   Grin  Now I hear the mirror rattlin' at start up   :'(
But still a tinka tink so I'll try the nut.  Looked tight when I looked at it.  But I'll put a wrench on it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/12/09 at 17:20:22

I have heard exactly that sound & since the keys hang on the left side, I thought,, well,, I guess I better pop that little cover off & see what kinda twisting it takes to get some more Tight outta that nut...thanks for the post.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 08/12/09 at 18:05:00

GREAT post, thanks  first ever heard of that one!!
bump it to tech section??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 08/22/09 at 19:57:33

What do you guys use to straighten out the fold in the lock washer?

I used a wood chisel.  It worked, but it put some gouges in the washer.

What do you use to re-bend the lock washer?  I used the same wood chisel and left a few small gouges in the pulley.   Embarrassed

My pulley was not loose, BTW.  I was just checking the torque since I had the bike torn down for some other maintenance.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/22/09 at 21:51:23

bend it up with a pair of needle nose vice grips and a lot of swearing. Bend it down with a rubber mallet and carefully placed flathead screwdriver.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/22/09 at 22:29:31

I expect Ill be using a regular chisel, when that day comes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 08/23/09 at 21:52:13

BurnPgh wrote on 08/22/09 at 21:51:23:
bend it up with a pair of needle nose vice grips and a lot of swearing. Bend it down with a rubber mallet and carefully placed flathead screwdriver.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/22/09 at 22:29:31:
I expect Ill be using a regular chisel, when that day comes.

I could get neither a screwdriver nor a regular chisel into the tiny gap between the nut and the factory-folded washer.

However, the needle-nosed vice-grips sounds like a good idea.

Smiley

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/23/09 at 22:00:59

If its layed over that tight, Digger, Im goin for the wood chisel just long enough to get it moved enough to get the clunky ol cold chisel in there.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 08/23/09 at 22:21:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/23/09 at 22:00:59:
If its layed over that tight, Digger, Im goin for the wood chisel just long enough to get it moved enough to get the clunky ol cold chisel in there.

Good call.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/23/09 at 22:27:55

I did the same as you Digger,....  
I have a special, bang about, wood chisel for just such jobs... Wink

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 08/24/09 at 05:45:49

Could you possibly post a pic?  I've been hearing a little tinklely noise too.  I'm going to try the things you mentioned that narrowed it down for you and see if mine reacts the same, but wouldn't know what to look for if that turns out to be the case for me.

Thanks!  You guys are the best!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #12 - 08/24/09 at 06:09:12

Not to hijack the thread, but Justin, years ago when I rode dual purpose bikes, we were on the trails. A friend's bike had the switch close to where our"s is. A branch or something grabbed his keychain and keys went everywhere Shocked  I have one key in the switch and one on the key ring in my pocket. Truth is much stranger, and more entertaining, than fiction Roll Eyes

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 08/24/09 at 07:17:23

babyhog wrote on 08/24/09 at 05:45:49:
Could you possibly post a pic?  I've been hearing a little tinklely noise too.  I'm going to try the things you mentioned that narrowed it down for you and see if mine reacts the same, but wouldn't know what to look for if that turns out to be the case for me.

Thanks!  You guys are the best!

Never mind on the pic... I think I figured out what I first didn't understand...  duh.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 04/08/10 at 09:04:53

Just wanted to bump this post up again,... rather than post a separate update ...

Had the same sound come up again,... and... sure enough, the pulley was about a 1/4 turn backed off again...
Cranked it tight with everything I got this time... and "jingle jangle" went away...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:32:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jingle Jangle...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.