Send Topic Print
trip meter (Read 162 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
trip meter
08/03/09 at 17:34:40

Hi I am a new member. I have had my S-40 one week now. I noticed upon putting gas in for the first time several days ago their was no trip meter. What do you all do as far as keeping track of how many miles you go inbetween fillups?
I have been told you can use a combination type lock.  The ones with the 3 numerals that you twist each time you fill up.  
Thanks and love my new bike.. I rode a Rebel 250 for almost the last 2 years.. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: trip meter
Reply #1 - 08/03/09 at 18:46:18

Yup,.. mine is strapped on the mirror stem, next to the kill button...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/03/09 at 18:52:16

I just write the mileage when I fill up on the gas cap in dry erase marker.  Works fine.  I fill up at about 100 miles.  I seem to be riding 200 miles/week at least, so the stuff doesn't wear off in that time.

I have a big display bicycle computer on the way.  I'll get it all calibrated up, then I'll have a speedo, tripmeter, elapsed time, etc.  on the bar.  I really can't see the speedometer when I'm riding, anyway.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 08/03/09 at 22:43:25

The bike computer is a good way to go and it works great. Reliable spedo,clock & trip meter all in one.  The 3 number combo lock is an easy low cost solution that works too. Had I read the threads i
on the combo lock 1st., thats what I would have done.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 08/04/09 at 02:39:58

I too have a 3 digit luggage lock similar to the one pic's above ... mine is attached to the bars between the riser clamps with some 2-sided tape ... just dial up the last 3 digits on the speedometer each time I get fuel ... works great and only cost me a buck for the lock! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #5 - 08/04/09 at 10:08:49

Let's see:  A 2.6 gallon tank, 0.6 of which is reserve, 50 plus or minus miles per gallon.  You will probably ride about 100 miles from fill-up to reserve.  If you stop for gas every 100 miles you don't need another gadget.  It works for me.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/04/09 at 11:05:12

Yeah, that's what I do.  Glance at the filler cap.  If it says 11118 and the odometer reads 11201, then I stop the next time I see a station.  I've only hit reserve once - about 3 miles from the station I was heading to. My normal fillup is 1.7 gallons, so I'm not hitting it too close.

I'm getting some MSR quart bottles, too, so I can carry an extra gallon for going over the mountains.   Not that there aren't stations, but there aren't enough that I can handle having a key station closed!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #7 - 08/04/09 at 16:21:53

Thank you all for your responses. I have purchased the lock and will install it on the bike now..
Great forum and I am looking forward to posting and coresponding with you all more..  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/04/09 at 23:01:01

I dont hit reserve very often, but I run on it every now & then( well, actually, I can pull the lever easier, so I use prime) but I run the fuel off the bottom of the tank. I know the vibration probably keeps any crap from settling, But I am just that way..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:27:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › trip meter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.