Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Foothills Parkway Drive (Read 75 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Foothills Parkway Drive
08/02/09 at 17:43:44

Took a nice ride today, up to the Foothills Parkway.  For those unfamiliar with the area, the Great Smoky Mountains lie in East Tennessee.  At the south end of the park lies the well-known road to Robbinsville, US 129, the "Dragon."  Although I've been driving it since it was just another curvy road over the mountains.  Heading east, the Foothills Parkway (part of the national park) runs along the crest of Chilhowee Mountain over to Walland, a small foothills community on highway 321 - another pathway into the Park.  321 to the north hits the nice town of Maryville.

Mr. Dean showed up this afternoon on his Vulcan 900, leather vest and 3/4 red helmet, big windscreen, big bike.  He's a funny guy, used to work with him when I had a "job" (way over rated, jobs).  I took Thumper (I really need a picture of thumper humping goofy on it) out first, and we drove by my shop on Unitia Road in Friendsville.  Unitia Road must be on a tour map somewhere.  We get goodly number of tour bikers coming by.  Anyway, we popped over to Rt. 95 to Greenback and over to 411.  Got gas at the Marathon, this one with 10% ethanol, rats!  And wound over to Howard School Rd, with sweeping views of the Smokies to our left.  Stunning day, surprisingly cool for August.

The big dump truck pulled out in front of us.  The ancient green Chevy with no muffler.  A few dogs.  Lumps of gravel in the road from the big ran.  Rough surfaces, groves, broken pavement, wonderful turns.  

Then we at 72, running from Vonore to Punkin Center - intersection with 129.  Great BBQ, the new biker motel, a couple of moto shops.  We chatted with some bikers.  Saw a nice something or other twin (notaharley).  And I led off up 129 towards the mountains. After some nice turns, we were parallel to to the Little Tennessee river, floating along that beautiful road.  Saw a Lifestar helicopter descending to its landing for a casualty pickup (Dragon - stupid to ride fast up there).  

Then we turned left onto the Parkway.  Beautiful road, floating through the ascending turns easily.  Stopped at the top - Look Rock.  Mr. Dean had never been on the road, even in a car.  I hadn't realized that.  Almost chilly in the hollers.  Delightful.  And all too soon, we headed down through the endless sweepers to Townsend, afternoon light slanting onto the dappled road.  

Took River Road out towards Maryville and parted ways.  I poked along backroads between the mountains and Maryville.  Only got lost a couple of times.  

And that was that.  A little over 100 miles, a delightful afternoon.  Thumper did fine.  The front end feels a bit flimsy.  Think I need one of those stabilizer things T-Rack or whatever it is.  And the handlebars - maybe they're too narrow.  And I do need to move the saddle back 1.5".  And get longer shocks.  But overall, what a nice bike!

Cooked up some chicken, peas, fresh herbs etc over rice.  Sunset across the lake now.

Have fun!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Foothills Parkway Drive
Reply #1 - 08/03/09 at 10:22:39

Hey, I rode out your way on 10July.  Long vacation weekend with friends who have a condo in Pigeon Forge.  Friend has a Suzuki C50 and me on my Savage.  Rode the Tail of the Dragon (my fifth time), the Foothills Parkway from end to end.  We did a lot of riding, but not enough stopping to see the views.  But I'll do it again and stop more.  

I agree with you, it's stupid to ride fast on the Dragon.  There's no reason for wrecking on that stretch other than exceeding your known limits.

Good writing.  Good riding.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
PTRider

Re: Foothills Parkway Drive
Reply #2 - 08/03/09 at 20:04:23

Sounds like a great ride.

Yep, get a Tkat fork stabilizer.  I like the way mine works.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:22:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Foothills Parkway Drive

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.