Cylinder head covers (Read 448 times)
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Cylinder head covers
07/28/09 at 06:56:31

Is it necessary to have them?

If I say... completely removed them, would anything bad happen?

I want easy access to the spark plug, and am considering doing the spark plug door mod (which is really just removing one bolt), but thought it might be an interesting look for the bike without the covers at all.

I ride in the rain, so i don't know if that would factor into things. Also i thought someone mentioned if you take them off you have to buy all new bolts or whatnot to put it back on (which i would like to avoid...)

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cylinder head covers
Reply #1 - 07/28/09 at 07:02:11

They're only for looks.

I took 'em off long time ago.

There's one bolt that's captive, cut a length of vac line to put over it and a washer then the nut.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 07/28/09 at 07:26:38

i don't understand what a "bolt that's captive" means.

it needs to be threaded in/out a certain distance and so the vac line serves as a spacer?

And i'll be glad to get rid of the covers... just more weight.

--
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #3 - 07/28/09 at 08:04:49

He means there's a bolt that is trapped in its hole by the engine.  If you take the covers off then it rattles around.  You can secure it in place with vac line like he says, and then next time you have the head cover off (to retorque the head bolts or fix a plug cap oil leak) you can get the bolt out completely.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/28/09 at 08:35:08

I did the plug door mod & put a "stub" in the bolt hole, poking up far enough that the door cant swing open while the other bolt is even still snug at all.
I also hacked the backside of the hole the hose goes thru on the other side, so I dont have to rassle that thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #5 - 07/28/09 at 09:06:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/09 at 08:35:08:
I also hacked the backside of the hole the hose goes thru on the other side, so I dont have to rassle that thing.

Hey, I did that too the other day, just hadn't remembered to post anything about it.  It seems to be just as stable as it was before.  Should have done it a long time ago because invariably while "rassling" with the cover and the hose clamp, I would lose one or both of the little rubber dampers underneath the cover.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 07/28/09 at 21:17:36

verslagen1 wrote on 07/28/09 at 07:02:11:
....There's one bolt that's captive, cut a length of vac line to put over it and a washer then the nut.

I think you should probably put a shorter bolt in there and torque it to spec the next time you have the cylinder head cover off.

It is one of the cylinder head cover bolts.

Also, is there a chance that the decorative covers aid in air cooling?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/28/09 at 22:37:56

IDK if theyd help or hurt. Those rubber mounted things Look like they would help cool, but Id say not, because of the rubber.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 07/29/09 at 06:57:23

Now, I've never had the covers off, so I can't say for sure their internal geometry, but a block of metal on top of the piston isn't going to cool nearly as well as a finned design.

Also, i'd imagine if it were necessary for cooling, it wouldn't be bolted on with rubber mounts, which would restrict thermal conductivity.

with them off, it would allow for more air to pass over the top of the cylinder and possibly around the top fin too.

--
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/29/09 at 07:40:55

If you drill a 1/2 hole on the front of the covers and put a funnel in there,You will have forced air cooling WinkLook cool too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #10 - 07/29/09 at 09:07:59

Digger wrote on 07/28/09 at 21:17:36:
....There's one bolt that's captive, cut a length of vac line to put over it and a washer then the nut.

I think you should probably put a shorter bolt in there and torque it to spec the next time you have the cylinder head cover off.

The bolt in question has only one function:  to hold half of the decorative chrome cover in place.  It doesn't have any value as to holding the "cylinder head cover" (i.e. cam assembly) in place.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 07/29/09 at 19:38:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/09 at 22:37:56:
IDK if theyd help or hurt. Those rubber mounted things Look like they would help cool, but Id say not, because of the rubber.

Justin,

I was thinking convective cooling vice radiative/conductive cooling.  Perhaps the decorative covers funnel the airstream across the top of the head cover more efficiently than what occurs with a "naked" head cover.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/29/09 at 19:47:54

Well, Digger, yes, YOU were thinking,, apparently, I WUZNT!!!  Roll Eyes

Whatever the level of functionality, Im keepin mine..

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 07/29/09 at 19:48:18

serenity3743 wrote on 07/29/09 at 09:07:59:
Digger wrote on 07/28/09 at 21:17:36:

The bolt in question has only one function:  to hold half of the decorative chrome cover in place.  It doesn't have any value as to holding the "cylinder head cover" (i.e. cam assembly) in place.

Serenity,

I respectfully disagree.  I just had the head cover off of mine (see signature) and the bolt in question was situated right on the edge of the sealing area of the head cover.

The FSM calls for this bolt to be torqued along with the other head cover bolts that are in close proximity to the sealing area.

If you look at the following picture, the bolt in question goes in the hole just below and to the left of the numeral "13":

You can clearly see that the bolt we are discussing is as important to a good seal as any of the other bolts are.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/29/09 at 20:01:01

Digger, the bolt we are talking about is to the left of #13, but it is the forward most bolt hole above #8.  It is inserted from the underside of the head cover and is loose when the head cover is installed and remains that way untill the chrome head cover is in place.
This bolt only holds the chrome head cover in place.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:16:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder head covers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.