Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggestions on my transmission issues (Read 62 times)
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Suggestions on my transmission issues
07/31/09 at 14:03:25

So I bought a parts bike which runs. I got it runing for a friend 1 year ago, he let it sit until I just bought it.  Want to swap the engine but smokes to bad I believe to be worth the swap. Maybe I could just swap the transmissions? How hard/easy to swap a 4 speed for a 5 speed?Suggestions welcome. Fairly mechanic savey but wondering if this has been done. Also switched from Lancer carb and 180 and 17.5 jets witht he dyna muffler which ran well to a jardine muffler. Runs OK at idle but when I start riding its sputter and then does not start up again. Triedto adjust using the Lancer method but having difficulty.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Suggestions on my transmission issues
Reply #1 - 07/31/09 at 14:14:02

The top end, jug, piston and head are the same for all years. If you put the 5 speed transmission into a 4 speed frame you will need to change over some of the wire harness. The ignitions are a little different and are not interchangable. The gear clusters are different and won't work if you try to swap them in the cases. The best way would be to just pull the cylinder and head and swap them while leaving the transmission alone.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/31/09 at 14:20:12

Tranmission swap can't be done, forgetaboutit.
Trans is integral to the case.  Final ratio same for 4spd/5spd
You can swap bottom ends though or top ends
Smoke can be rings or valve seals.
suggest you replace valve seals and see how it goes.
If rings (check compression) have cylinder bored get oversized piston and ring set.

WWW   IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #3 - 07/31/09 at 14:29:36

Was planning on changing much of the wiring anyways. Any other gear ratio problems? HOw hard is this? I looked at the manual and I would have to remove the engine ans split the case. That is beyond my scope. I did just put in seafoam but I thought it all burnt out. Might not have. Was going to switch because sometimes it does not downshift one after another. Now i have to keep in gear a little then it shifts. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Reply #4 - 07/31/09 at 15:51:42

OK. Tried again and it was just the Seafoam burning. will switch the engine and wiring and trans whole in a couple of weeks when I have time. Also switching tins will be quite a different bike!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:55:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suggestions on my transmission issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.