Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
any chain conversion reports (Read 159 times)
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
any chain conversion reports
07/29/09 at 05:19:43

couple of years since hutchs' conversion post
any long term reports?
issues,things you'd do different,performance,etc.
Thanks

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: any chain conversion reports
Reply #1 - 07/29/09 at 06:07:10

Would not change a thing. Well, I might put the belt guard back on as the chain slings lubricant. The ratio fits the bike much better 17/43 if I remember correctly.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/29/09 at 08:14:38

clueless-FSO wrote on 07/29/09 at 06:07:10:
Would not change a thing. Well, I might put the belt guard back on as the chain slings lubricant. The ratio fits the bike much better 17/43 if I remember correctly.

bell makes a "dry" lube spray(wally world) i use on thumperclone no sling and no dirt stikin,,
has any used the belt guard with the chain thought i read it wouldnt clear..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/29/09 at 10:18:51

16/43. Works dandy.

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/29/09 at 15:50:32

17/43 for about a year now.  Runs like a champ on the slab.  A little slower off the line, but city riding is smoother as well.  Less shifting.  Wink

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #5 - 07/29/09 at 17:16:38

the only issue i have had is with the chain itself. i purposly bought a cheap chain, just to see if i liked it. so said cheap chain has stretched quite a bit, and sometimes hits the swingarm. i'm sure when i get a better chain the issue will be resolved. other than that i have had no issues.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 07/29/09 at 17:48:03

I had the 17/43 combo on for maybe 6 months and decided it was just too high geared for me. I weigh over 250, and the bike wouldn't even wring out 4th gear, and 5th was for cruising only; no acceleration left at all.

About a week ago I changed to 16/43. Have to run the chain tighter than I like to keep it from slapping the swing arm, but it does work well; and I MUCH prefer the gear ratios over the higher gear set.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd start at 17/45; which is very close to my 16/43 set, but would allow much more chain clearance at the swing arm crossing.

The only way I would recommend the 17/43 sprocket set is if you weigh less than 150 pounds or so, and like to ride upwards of 70mph a whole lot of the time. Otherwise, I recommend 17/45 or lower.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #7 - 07/30/09 at 10:47:12

Rockin_John wrote on 07/29/09 at 17:48:03:
I had the 17/43 combo on for maybe 6 months and decided it was just too high geared for me. I weigh over 250, and the bike wouldn't even wring out 4th gear, and 5th was for cruising only; no acceleration left at all.

About a week ago I changed to 16/43. Have to run the chain tighter than I like to keep it from slapping the swing arm, but it does work well; and I MUCH prefer the gear ratios over the higher gear set.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd start at 17/45; which is very close to my 16/43 set, but would allow much more chain clearance at the swing arm crossing.

The only way I would recommend the 17/43 sprocket set is if you weigh less than 150 pounds or so, and like to ride upwards of 70mph a whole lot of the time. Otherwise, I recommend 17/45 or lower.

Anyone know a good place to buy a 45T?  I'm running 17/43 and found it great for freeways and flat land, but not so great for hills or mountains.  Spacing between 2nd and 3rd is really bad with that ratio.  Definitely need a 45T.  Price I'm seeing is $36 at www.crc2onlinecatalog.com.  Anyone else beat that price?

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #8 - 07/30/09 at 11:38:52

Thanks for the tip TC. I'll get some dry lube. The shop I deal with did not know what it was. Great dealer though. If I order through their website, the parts are cheaper than any I have found. Pick them up at their place and pay no shipping. Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 07/31/09 at 23:11:47

Quote:
Anyone know a good place to buy a 45T?  I'm running 17/43 and found it great for freeways and flat land, but not so great for hills or mountains.  Spacing between 2nd and 3rd is really bad with that ratio.  Definitely need a 45T.  Price I'm seeing is $36 at www.crc2onlinecatalog.com.  Anyone else beat that price?

Gary,

Yup, I think you'll find that with the just slightly lower gearing, 2nd gear is great on the slow 25mph neighborhood streets, and tight corners. 3rd works good for everything in the 30-45mph range, and from there it's hit the entrance ramp, and away you go!!! Even 5th will get a little acceleration back above 55mph. Works good for me.

I think the Sprocket price you've found is very reasonable. 3$ cheaper than Bike Bandit, and they're fair by comparison to others I checked.

I'd have gone up to the 45t on back instead of down to the 16t on front; but I'd already spent $70 or so on a cheap o-ring chain, and I didn't even have to remove a link the way I went. Going the other way, I'd have had to run another master, and maybe add a link, or buy a
whole new chain. My decision was made for me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:24:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › any chain conversion reports

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.