Send Topic Print
Checking out a Savage. (Read 427 times)
Seymorerage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Checking out a Savage.
07/29/09 at 13:45:35

I have the itch again so in my research a Suzuki Savage looks like a great bike for me. I might go look at a older Savage tomorrow. 1988. From the ad and Emails it looks fine but you never know. Is there anything I should be looking for? Any Cronic problems to look for that I could use in negotiating a better price. Thanks Everyone.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Checking out a Savage.
Reply #1 - 07/29/09 at 13:47:55

On that old of a bike the wiring and everything else is pretty old.And could cause problems.All the rubber things.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #2 - 07/29/09 at 13:50:45

thats as old as i am.  just give it a good look over tyres, suspension, drive belt, fork seals etc

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #3 - 07/29/09 at 13:59:28

- yup, electrical system in good shape before all, no rust, cuts
& electrical tape everywhere (must remove seat) - new battery = $50

- general rust (look at nuts, bolts and joints)
- crashed? (lift and spin front wheel and look at rear shocks & levers for damage)
- rusty gas tank (inside) means carb problems (take good flashlight w/you)
- Switchgears, pedals & levers Inspect for damage and check controls.
- tires (new set about $300)
- quality of exhaust smoke (too black/gray? , place hand in exhaust it should not wet stain and should not suck back, only blow
- oil leaks? outside of head full of oil?
- millage? the lower the better, ask about clutch rebuilt & timing chain
- transmission band should not look/feel "dry and cracked"
- front shocks should not leak or be too soft, they must be hard to push

good luck, post pictures for us to see

« Last Edit: 07/29/09 at 17:58:12 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 07/29/09 at 14:13:18

jabman wrote on 07/29/09 at 13:50:45:
thats as old as i am.  just give it a good look over tyres, suspension, drive belt, fork seals etc

I bought something for my 87 some time ago and the bike was older than the girl working the counter.  She seemed to know her stuff, though.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/29/09 at 18:46:01

Miles-CAMCHAIN TENSIONER

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 07/29/09 at 18:58:00

I feel like I lucked out when I bought my '87. Was away from riding for around 15 years and just wanted a cruiser with ballz. never thought I would be riding a Japanese bike, but after looking at how high the prices were since I'd been away, I decided to leave the HD thing behind. Had no idea what a Savage was but after taking a test ride, I knew right away that this would be the one. PO was asking $1300 for it, but took my offer of $1050. Came with with custom paint, SuperTrapp, mirrors, new cables, brakes, Guardian cover, new tires, an extra front rim and new helmet thrown in. Oil leak was also included. Bike was on Craigslist for weeks with really bad pictures that didn't do it justice.

To be honest, I have no idea what's been done inside of the bike, but I can see black sealant in the middle of the cylinder and gray on top, so the PO did work on something in there. Bought it in March 2008 with 12XXX miles and as of today, I'm up to 20,200 miles. It's been running so well that outside of oil changes, battery and a new air filter, I've not had to perform any serious mechanical work on it yet.
She runs like a dream. It's one of the best motor vehicle purchases I've ever made.

Bought front brake pads which I'll be installing soon. Inside of tank is rusty and bit of paint lift by the gas filler neck, but I'm leaving it alone for now.

But yes, shine a flashlight in all of the nooks and crannies, up around the header and top of the cylinder, and, also in the gas tank. The rust will be staring you in the face if it's there. If you can get the owner to allow you to take the seats off, you'll be able to see most of the wiring. Listen for that Cam Chain noise also.

Depending on the seller, who can be honest or not, oil leaks can be pretty easy to hide. They could simply clean the oil off and it will not show itself until after being ridden for a while. Well, depending on the severity of the leak of course. I would just ask them about the well documented Savage plug cap leak, or any other oil leaks.

What really led me to the decision to buy mine, outside of the price, was the test ride. The low end torque blew me away.

FSO
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/29/09 at 19:26:01

Id come back with the mileage & price & see what the consensus is. The cam chain becomes questionable around 15,000 miles. Some need replaced there, some last a lot longer. Just have to pop the clutch cover & see where the tensioner is. No one seems to really know why.
The cost of that maintenance isnt too bad, if you do the work. Its easy enough. Valves need adjusted, too. Its a couple hours if you are slow & anal about everything you touch the first couple of times. It gets a lot  quicker after a few times.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #8 - 07/30/09 at 08:26:26

Hi there guys,
I was just about to post the same exact question so I will do an Intro and jump on board.

After almost a 20 year motorcycle lull, my GF is buying me a bike for my 40th birthday. I have been looking at used Savages, Late 80's and Early 90's models and have been reading pretty much every thread in the forum for the last several weeks(Up to page 95 in this Section and read most of the Tech Section). I had a CB550 in High school and a Norton 850 Commando in College 20 years ago so I am no stranger to home maintenance and repair.

One of the bikes that is tempting me is an '89, the owner claims the bike is solid and in good shape and runs reliably. I am asking for service records, mileage, whether it is currently on the road. Any other questions I should ask before going to see it?

I have a picture and it looks to have an oil leak. If compression is good, does that look like the Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak?

Asking is $2000 which seems a little high without the leak and I am thinking that if compression is good, maybe CDN$1500 - CDN$1600 is more reasonable assuming the rest is in good shape. i.e. Can pass a safety check.
Price tend to be higher up here in Canada so keep that in mind.
A new S40 is CDN$6600 up here!

What do you guys think?

I'll post a pic in a sec, won't let me on 1st post.

Edited to add CDN for funds

« Last Edit: 07/30/09 at 17:14:54 by dinsdale »  
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #9 - 07/30/09 at 08:26:50

Here is a pic of the bike.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 07/30/09 at 08:35:37

dinsdale wrote on 07/30/09 at 08:26:26:
Hi there guys,
I was just about to post the same exact question so I will do an Intro and jump on board.

After almost a 20 year motorcycle lull, my GF is buying me a bike for my 40th birthday. I have been looking at used Savages, Late 80's and Early 90's models and have been reading pretty much every thread in the forum for the last several weeks(Up to page 95 in this Section and read most of the Tech Section). I had a CB550 in High school and a Norton 850 Commando in College 20 years ago so I am no stranger to home maintenance and repair.

One of the bikes that is tempting me is an '89, the owner claims the bike is solid and in good shape and runs reliably. I am asking for service records, mileage, whether it is currently on the road. Any other questions I should ask before going to see it?

I have a picture and it looks to have an oil leak. If compression is good, does that look like the Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak?

Asking is $2000 which seems a little high without the leak and I am thinking that if compression is good, maybe $1500-$1600 is more reasonable assuming the rest is in good shape. i.e. Can pass a safety check.
Price tend to be higher up here in Canada so keep that in mind.
A new S40 is $6600 up here!

What do you guys think?

I'll post a pic in a sec, won't let me on 1st post.

A 20 year old bike for $2,000? That sounds really high to me, but not sure what the market for bikes is like in Canada. I just picked up a 2005 for $2,100 in ID, but It needed lots of cosmetic issues but mechanically it appears to be very sound with only 5k on the odometer. Here's a pic of what mine looked like when I brought it home 4 weeks ago:

And what it looks like now:

I think your $1500-1600 is a much more reasonable range seeing that you can see the paint peeling around the filler neck and aftermarket paint/mirrors I would venture to say it may have been laid down and fixed/repainted...  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/30/09 at 09:23:47

Dinny
Missing tool box cover and tool kit, a number of bolts, corrosion on rear brake hub, looks like the muff and heat shield are scraped.  Tank is not dented but paint looks like might be pealing around gas cap.  Definite oil leak, could be head plug and oil leak on clutch cover somewhere.

Due to corrosion on hub, inspect closely elsewhere.  How much do you want to refinish?  The head plug leak is expensive to do in a shop.  Get an estimate in a shop for a tune up that includes retorquing the head.  These are good talking points to reducing the cost.  Also mileage, anywhere near 20k could need a timing chain.  Not a major issue, but must be taken care of.

WWW   IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #12 - 07/30/09 at 10:02:04

Thanks guys.

EJID: A dealer wants CDN$2900 + taxes (13%) for a 1997 with 40,000 kms on it.

I am comfortable with a bike as a project as I can't afford much more than CDN$2000 but want to avoid a complete rebuild as I don't have the shop, time or $$$  for that and want to ride it as well.

The Oil Plug fix and Tensioner mods are within my capabilities.

I will definitely use them as bargaining points if I take the plunge.
Well, my GF will.I tend to be impulsive and emotions driven when buying vehicles. I let my GF do the bargaining and she is a pro at it.
She talked a guy down from DN$2800 to CDN$1200 for my 1964 Grew that I fiddle with as well.

Here are  a couple more pics of the bike from other angles.

« Last Edit: 07/30/09 at 17:15:55 by dinsdale »  
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #13 - 07/30/09 at 11:14:44

verslagen1 wrote on 07/30/09 at 09:23:47:
Definite oil leak, could be head plug and oil leak on clutch cover somewhere.

With the oil showing up on both sides below the head, I think you will need to install a new head gasket.  Still not a huge deal, some dollars, time, and hassle.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #14 - 07/30/09 at 11:25:06

Here is a reply to an email request for more details.

Quote:
there are 33, 000 kms on the bike
I have had it for 3-4 years
I have not yet plated it this year, only because I bought a house and didn't think I could afford it, but I rode it from storage to my new place this week and it started right up, I also rode it in the spring before the plates expired. I have had it plated all previous years (in Quebec)
I do not have any maintenance records, I can tell you that I changed the starter relay right after I bought it, and have done regular oil changes, but it has not needed any work thus far (my partner is a mechanic so he checks it out for me)
There is no tool kit cover or tools with it, they weren't with it when I bought it, I do however have the maintenance manual, I had to buy it over the internet shortly after I bought the bike just so I knew the specs etc.
tires and drive belt are good on it

Do you have to pull the engine to pull the head for a head gasket?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:19:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Checking out a Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.