Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Trailer trash" bobber (Read 2521 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
"Trailer trash" bobber
07/28/09 at 10:40:32

So i'm putting this here because, although it may not be a technical reference, it will certainly be helpful for anyone looking to build a bobber on the cheap.

This is a project that has been in the works for a time now, but I never took the bike off the road for a long period of time to do anything to it. It has just been accumulating slowly, mostly because the Savage was my main/only form of transportation during this time. Keep in mind that I had minimal mechanical knowledge before this and only liked to tinker.

It started in June 2007 when I bought a 2003 Savage as my first bike at 20 years old. I enjoyed it but never had any plans to change it. I even (heaven forbid) considered getting a bigger bike.

like I said: had some fun

Then, a year later, I did what every rider has done or will do eventually, I laid it down. I went into a corner too fast, and through a combination of inexperience and panic, put it down at about 25 mph.

Yes. It hurt, physically and damaged my ego too. But I picked the bike back up and rode it home that night. Admittedly, that was a very stupid thing to do seeing as how it was dark and the headlight was hanging off of it. I was pretty beat up too as the scratches on my helmet and hole in my leather jacket will attest to. Plenty of gashes and road rash, but not worthy of a trip to the ER (in my opinion; I'm young, stupid, and cheap). Anyways, I was understandably bummed out. I considered selling it, but I knew I would get nothing for a wrecked bike.

Being a poor college student, I fixed it on the cheap. It was back on the road in less than a week thanks to duck tape and some creative wrenching. I got used headlight, handlebars (old ones were bent), mirrors, and tank on ebay. I painted the tank myself with spray cans. Also, I just took off the torn backrest pad, bent the foot peg out, and taped the turn signal back up. A little later I picked up a harley exhaust at a swap meet (and rejetted) and build a license plate bracket in shop class. So I was happy again; for a bit.

here is my bike all fixed up next to my dad's perfectly stock 2002.

But of course that wasn't the end of it.
One cold night in November, I was screwing around with my friend with a 700 Shadow at stoplight and I took off, HARD. When I say "took off", I mean literally; I went VERTICAL. The resulting wheelie ground the back of my fender into an upward lip and the landing did minor damage to other parts. It wasn't too badly damaged and I managed to fix it temporarily by filing down the rough edge, applying some touchup paint, and putting one of those rubber strip car door protectors on to cover the worst of it. But my friend said seeing me go across the intersection, straight up, with sparks flying was the coolest thing he had ever seen.

So at this point, I had already customized it a good amount, but nothing real serious or radical. But like all addictions, I soon moved onto the harder stuff. I had altered it from stock, removed unnecessary parts, the process had begun! Winter came and I thought of all the terrible things that I would do to that poor little economy bike. Gradually, I took off the belt guard and reflectors, replaced the damaged turn signals, and removed any sticker that would identify it as a Savage.

Now here is where we get into building a bobber: On a whim, I called up a local trailer parts store to see what they had as far as fenders. After some rough figuring and a lot of help from this site, I ordered one for $13; I figured I didn't have a lot to lose. I picked it up and over the course of the next 3 days, the Savage went from modified stock to custom bobber. I pulled off the rear fender and test fitted the new one. I also left the rear wheel on, which made work a little more difficult but made the bike rideable the whole time. Also, the turn signals mounted to the shocks are DOT trailer parts and $3 each at Advance Auto.

The taillight w/ license plate light is, you guessed it, a trailer part available at any parts store for around $6. This is one of those "3 wire" setups that have only 2 wires. You have to use the metal body as the 3rd. I connected a wire to one of the bolts I used to hold it. The running light is actually hooked into the license plate light wires with the same type of connectors that I bought to plug the new turn signals into the stock plugs. That was just easier and provides the same effect. The remaining wire is soldered into the back of the stock taillight plug. I made sure all the wiring is non-destructive and easily reversible.

My "workshop" using my dad's jigsaw and power drill. It was supprisingly easy to cut and then shape up with a file.

After much filing, test fitting, and sanding. I also put in places to mount the heat sink and starter solenoid.

And after its all finished:

I put black electrical tape on the underside of the seat so you don't see the ugly white plastic seatpan. Also, you can barely see a blue glow around the engine; those are LED strips I got at Advance Auto. Those plus 4 strategically placed LED bulbs light it up real nice and make me feel a lot safer at night.

I love the custom look it has now and the way people stare and ask what it is. Grin  My friends love it too. They all know the unique sound it has and my one buddy loves that he can point to any part on the bike and I can tell a story about it. Tongue

IMHO, painting is probably the hardest part, but thats because I could sit there with a file and shape the metal all afternoon, but I get frustrated by painting; especially when it gets too humid and rains.  :'(

Total parts cost:
fender - $13
taillight - $6
turn signal x2 - $6
sandpaper, metal saw blades, wires, bolts, etc - $25
handlebars - $20
mirrors - $30
HD exhaust - $20
Paints – about $10 depending on quality you buy.
license plate mount – free; I made it
Beer - varies by taste

So even you can build a relatively cheap bobber just like me! Mine actually cost a lot more because I had to but replacements for what I had broken like the tank, headlight, handlebars, and triple tree (which had broken the stop off and caused the handlebars to go into the tank). Plus I screwed up with some more expensive paint and had to redo it.

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 13:05:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Re: "Trailer trash" bobber
Reply #1 - 07/28/09 at 15:42:31

Whew I know what you mean with the laying it down, didn't quite hurt the bike as bad but the pride still hurts

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 07/29/09 at 07:13:49

Excellent post and those pics will be very helpful... Smiley

I guess it's time to start my transformation. Smiley

A buddy of mine from another forum makes these custom LED light strips for bobbers (I'm thinking they would be similar to those blue LED strips you got from Autozone)... He can even add in integrated turn signals to them too. Not sure if I'll end up going with something like that, or a setup similar to yours. I like the one tail light off to the side, but then I'm afraid people coming from the right side would miss me.

I really like the conversion where your turn signals are integrated as part of the brake lights, but still function as signals. I might go that route, then I don't need to have an extra tail light at all.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 07/29/09 at 11:02:18

Very nice mods!

Looking online, fenders can be  $200 - $400. you spent less than that on the entire bike!

I am really digging the look, did you black out the muffler yourself? if so, you mind divulging how you did it and what paint you used?

Are blue LEDs legal in PA?

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 07/29/09 at 11:30:15

The fender I checked into (thanks to Demin for the tip) was at Northern Tool @ $25

As for the LED's... I've heard different stories from different people. I'm sure any police officer will tell you that red and blue are off limits... It does add to the looks though. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #5 - 07/30/09 at 12:39:36

im not sure where the fender is from, I just talked to a guy at the trailer parts store and he ordered it in for $13. Its kinda thinner metal than what i was hoping for, but it still holds my weight if i sit on it (<180lb) - so it'll probably hold a womanzes. haha

The muffler was black when I bought it, but I've had to respray it b/c I rashed it a little  Undecided. I got a can of flat black header paint and the auto parts store and painted it and cured it on the bike, as per the directions. you have to let it idle for 15 min, cool for 20, idle for 20, cool for 20, and run at speed for 30 to cure it - or something like that. I just didn't want to take it off. I suggest using header primer to make it stick better; mine pealed off and i had to redo it once.

As far as the lights... ANY COLOR is legal in PA:
"    HB 901 - Auxillary Lighting
   On June 29, 2006 Governor Rendell signed House Bill 901 sponsored by Rep. Kerry Benninghoff. The bill amends the Vehicle Code to allow for auxiliary lighting on motorcycles. The bill allows blue dot illumination, standard bulb running lights and light emitting diode (LED) pods and strips to be added to a motorcycle to give greater protection to motorcycle riders.
"

Red and blue are usually reserved for emergency vehicles, but all of my friends have either red or blue too. and after a recent trip to OC MD, I now know blue and red are legal in Delaware too, but not in Maryland.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/30/09 at 13:57:31

man i want to do this so bad.. but my girl rides on the back, and has no interest in her own bike

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 07/30/09 at 18:40:37

I guess I'll have to mod up my bike so I can add some slick underlighting to it.

can't do that with stock... that would just be silly. maybe this winter i'll do some heavy modding. couple cans of spray paint... header paint... airbox... hmm.....

I'd bob it out, but twdy and i have the same problem: a girl who likes to ride b***h but not ride on her own.

I wonder if I could find a fender the right dimensions for the front wheel. I've always kind of liked the look of a front fender that almost touches the pavement on the rear side of the front wheel. probably would be cleaner too.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/30/09 at 21:32:05

groupus wrote on 07/28/09 at 10:40:32:
So i'm putting this here because, although it may not be a technical reference, it will certainly be helpful for anyone looking to build a bobber on the cheap.

This is a project that has been in the works for a time now, but I never took the bike off the road for a long period of time to do anything to it. It has just been accumulating slowly, mostly because the Savage was my main/only form of transportation during this time. Keep in mind that I had minimal mechanical knowledge before this and only liked to tinker.

It started in June 2007 when I bought a 2003 Savage as my first bike at 20 years old. I enjoyed it but never had any plans to change it. I even (heaven forbid) considered getting a bigger bike.
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C07%5C28%5Cbikepics-1738870-full.jpg
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C07%5C28%5Cbikepics-1738869-full.jpg
like I said: had some fun

Then, a year later, I did what every rider has done or will do eventually, I laid it down. I went into a corner too fast, and through a combination of inexperience and panic, put it down at about 25 mph.
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C07%5C28%5Cbikepics-1738871-full.jpg

Yes. It hurt, physically and damaged my ego too. But I picked the bike back up and rode it home that night. Admittedly, that was a very stupid thing to do seeing as how it was dark and the headlight was hanging off of it. I was pretty beat up too as the scratches on my helmet and hole in my leather jacket will attest to. Plenty of gashes and road rash, but not worthy of a trip to the ER (in my opinion; I'm young, stupid, and cheap). Anyways, I was understandably bummed out. I considered selling it, but I knew I would get nothing for a wrecked bike.

Being a poor college student, I fixed it on the cheap. It was back on the road in less than a week thanks to duck tape and some creative wrenching. I got used headlight, handlebars (old ones were bent), mirrors, and tank on ebay. I painted the tank myself with spray cans. Also, I just took off the torn backrest pad, bent the foot peg out, and taped the turn signal back up. A little later I picked up a harley exhaust at a swap meet (and rejetted) and build a license plate bracket in shop class. So I was happy again; for a bit.
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C01%5C23%5Cbikepics-1547871-800.jpg
here is my bike all fixed up next to my dad's perfectly stock 2002.

But of course that wasn't the end of it.
One cold night in November, I was screwing around with my friend with a 700 Shadow at stoplight and I took off, HARD. When I say "took off", I mean literally; I went VERTICAL. The resulting wheelie ground the back of my fender into an upward lip and the landing did minor damage to other parts. It wasn't too badly damaged and I managed to fix it temporarily by filing down the rough edge, applying some touchup paint, and putting one of those rubber strip car door protectors on to cover the worst of it. But my friend said seeing me go across the intersection, straight up, with sparks flying was the coolest thing he had ever seen.

So at this point, I had already customized it a good amount, but nothing real serious or radical. But like all addictions, I soon moved onto the harder stuff. I had altered it from stock, removed unnecessary parts, the process had begun! Winter came and I thought of all the terrible things that I would do to that poor little economy bike. Gradually, I took off the belt guard and reflectors, replaced the damaged turn signals, and removed any sticker that would identify it as a Savage.

Now here is where we get into building a bobber: On a whim, I called up a local trailer parts store to see what they had as far as fenders. After some rough figuring and a lot of help from this site, I ordered one for $13; I figured I didn't have a lot to lose. I picked it up and over the course of the next 3 days, the Savage went from modified stock to custom bobber. I pulled off the rear fender and test fitted the new one. I also left the rear wheel on, which made work a little more difficult but made the bike rideable the whole time. Also, the turn signals mounted to the shocks are DOT trailer parts and $3 each at Advance Auto.
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C07%5C28%5Cbikepics-1738910-800.jpg

The taillight w/ license plate light is, you guessed it, a trailer part available at any parts store for around $6. This is one of those "3 wire" setups that have only 2 wires. You have to use the metal body as the 3rd. I connected a wire to one of the bolts I used to hold it. The running light is actually hooked into the license plate light wires with the same type of connectors that I bought to plug the new turn signals into the stock plugs. That was just easier and provides the same effect. The remaining wire is soldered into the back of the stock taillight plug. I made sure all the wiring is non-destructive and easily reversible.
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C07%5C28%5Cbikepics-1738902-800.jpg

My "workshop" using my dad's jigsaw and power drill. It was supprisingly easy to cut and then shape up with a file.
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C07%5C28%5Cbikepics-1738915-800.jpg

After much filing, test fitting, and sanding. I also put in places to mount the heat sink and starter solenoid.
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C07%5C28%5Cbikepics-1738929-800.jpg

And after its all finished:
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009%5C07%5C28%5Cbikepics-1739058-800.jpg
I put black electrical tape on the underside of the seat so you don't see the ugly white plastic seatpan. Also, you can barely see a blue glow around the engine; those are LED strips I got at Advance Auto. Those plus 4 strategically placed LED bulbs light it up real nice and make me feel a lot safer at night.

I love the custom look it has now and the way people stare and ask what it is. Grin  My friends love it too. They all know the unique sound it has and my one buddy loves that he can point to any part on the bike and I can tell a story about it. Tongue

IMHO, painting is probably the hardest part, but thats because I could sit there with a file and shape the metal all afternoon, but I get frustrated by painting; especially when it gets too humid and rains.  :'(

Total parts cost:
fender - $13
taillight - $6
turn signal x2 - $6
sandpaper, metal saw blades, wires, bolts, etc - $25
handlebars - $20
mirrors - $30
HD exhaust - $20
Paints – about $10 depending on quality you buy.
license plate mount – free; I made it
Beer - varies by taste

So even you can build a relatively cheap bobber just like me! Mine actually cost a lot more because I had to but replacements for what I had broken like the tank, headlight, handlebars, and triple tree (which had broken the stop off and caused the handlebars to go into the tank). Plus I screwed up with some more expensive paint and had to redo it.

great job on the tank? How did you do the flames? Have you considered a motorcycle safety course? No offense, but two incidents of banging up the bike? The course will teach a little bit about how to drive safely lol

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #9 - 07/31/09 at 13:28:58

haha. i actually did take the safety course already; thats how i got my license. But not with over 10,000 miles under my belt, I'm set to take the advanced course.

the flames were done on a whim with $1 can of paint from walmart. I had sketched up a few ideas at work, and while I still had that tank off, I masked it off and painted it. I used a roll of electrical tape cut in half so it was thinner and i could manipulate the curves easier. then masking tape and newspaper. took a lot of tries to get it good before i painted.

you guys who want to keep the back seat, I know someone here had lowered the stock fender with some spacers and longer top bolts. It looked good; would probably be even cleaner if you got rid of the stock lights with those integrated tail/turn lights and ditched sissy bar and maybe side rails. That way you get to keep the ladies seat. Someone else also had a big dresser style fender on the front. not sure who, but I remember it was a white bike. anyone know who?

here are my blue lights on my (nearly) stock bike. two strips on the frame and single bulbs run behind the shocks and along the brakeline to the front wheel.

i havent gotten any pics of the newest version at night

« Last Edit: 12/03/12 at 09:58:08 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #10 - 07/31/09 at 14:11:15

That lights up really well! I'm going to do a little bit of lighting down the road. I've got quite a ways to go yet.

Great work.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #11 - 08/01/09 at 06:31:17

The Experienced Riders course in PA is the SAME thing that you do in the Basic course, except on your own bike... It was a little basic still, but it might be helpful to do the swerves and figure 8's and quick stops, etc on your own bike...

I took the BRC last year when I got my bike... And then I took it again this year because my girlfriend wanted to take it... And then I decided to take the ERC since I've been riding for a year and I was a little disappointed.

Thanks for the post on the bill from Rendell though! I'll have to carry that along with me once I add some lights! Wink

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/05/09 at 17:45:29

Groupus:  Cool project and imagination, thanks for sharing!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #13 - 08/05/09 at 19:42:00

twdy wrote on 07/30/09 at 13:57:31:
man i want to do this so bad.. but my girl rides on the back, and has no interest in her own bike

P-pad.Under 30 bucks.
If my fender on my build was a little longer it would have been on it.

« Last Edit: 12/03/12 at 09:58:25 by verslagen1 »  

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 08/16/09 at 17:12:03

can you take a picture of your license plate mount?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 10:55:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "Trailer trash" bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.