Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
brass idle mixture screw. Help (Read 590 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: brass idle mixture screw. Help
Reply #15 - 07/28/09 at 21:24:57

If you are going to drill, try these first:

Left-Hand Drill Bits

You may just get lucky.

Here is a source for JIS screwdrivers:

Ames Supply Company

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #16 - 07/29/09 at 08:50:46

The Harbor Freight left-hand bits I got online were not good enough for most jobs - I think you have linked to the same set.  The shafts were either slightly curved or too weak to keep on center.

Maybe they fixed them since 2008 but I am still looking for a high-quality set.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 07/29/09 at 19:35:13

ero4444 wrote on 07/29/09 at 08:50:46:
The Harbor Freight left-hand bits I got online were not good enough for most jobs - I think you have linked to the same set.  The shafts were either slightly curved or too weak to keep on center.

Maybe they fixed them since 2008 but I am still looking for a high-quality set.

ero,

Good input.  I have the Harbor Freight set but have not used any of them yet.

Here are some more choices for Left-Hand Drill Bits

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #18 - 07/31/09 at 11:56:03

Dealer called and said my mixture screw was in. I drive the 40 min or so over, wrong screw. The guy ordered the idle screw. After verifying with him over the phone that it was the BRASS MIXTURE screw on the right hand side of the carb UNDER the BRASS cap. On top of that, the correct screw, I looked on the computer with him, came to almost $10 more with a new spring..... I should have told him to forget it and ordered one on BikeBandit for $8 and been done.....New one should be here Wed.

07 S40
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 07/31/09 at 20:32:29

In the future, it might pay you to research the part number you need on line, then just give the part number to the parts monkey when you place your order over the phone.

Works for me!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 08/01/09 at 05:16:59

when drilling down into whats left of the screw head, use the smallest drill/easyout set you have or can get; there is not much room for error lest you destroy the threads needed for the new screw.  as mentioned already use lots of lubrication and a small size impact driver is you have one; in not then get one..

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #21 - 08/01/09 at 13:53:26

Digger, I couldn't find a part number in my search. Only diagram I found was on BikeBandit.com. Come to find out, it was the same diagram as the dealer. If I had known that, I would have told them. Now I know!! Smiley

Lancer, thank you for the tip. I have one of your Jet kits and I can't find it.  I put it someplace so I wouldn't loose it. Grin

07 S40
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 08/01/09 at 20:19:38

[quote author=6136342737363A2723343C27550 link=1248655164/15#21 date=1249160006]Digger, I couldn't find a part number in my search. Only diagram I found was on BikeBandit.com. Come to find out, it was the same diagram as the dealer. If I had known that, I would have told them. Now I know..../quote]

Here's a useful site for your '07:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/Mak...

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #23 - 08/02/09 at 05:35:37

Perfect!!! Thank you. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #24 - 08/05/09 at 12:38:02

I need to use a different dealer for parts. This is the first time I have ever tried to get parts from the dealer I got my bike from. After the first order being wrong, I showed them exactly what I needed on the computer. They called today and said my parts are in. I show up and it is the correct mixture screw. Smiley However, the spring that he gave me was about 6 inches long, 3/4 inch round. Thats bigger than the carb, no way it's fitting the mixture hole.  Grin So I got a refund on it. Anyway, I came home, crossed my fingers and started drilling. It wouldn't even budge while drilling. I started with a 1/16 drill bit and worked my way up so there was just a little bit of the screw left around the threads. Used a twist bolt remover, took some force, it finally came out. With NO damage.  Cool That bugger did not want to come out.

Anyway, I adjusted the screw. With the Harley muffler, it's now running about the same as it was pre muffler as far as backfire/popping. Looks like I really need to dig around and find my Jet kit......

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

07 S40
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #25 - 08/05/09 at 13:09:57

Glad to hear you finally got that bugger out. Here's to the trial and error of matching the right jet size to make her purrrr!!!  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 08/06/09 at 00:46:18

4carbcorvair wrote on 08/01/09 at 13:53:26:
Digger, I couldn't find a part number in my search. Only diagram I found was on BikeBandit.com. Come to find out, it was the same diagram as the dealer. If I had known that, I would have told them. Now I know!! Smiley

Lancer, thank you for the tip. I have one of your Jet kits and I can't find it.  I put it someplace so I wouldn't loose it. Grin

Dude, if I found all of the parts that I have put away where I would not loose them I could completely restock my parts shelf all over again.   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 08/06/09 at 07:20:50

Used a twist bolt remover, took some force, it finally came out. With NO damage.  

I have a few types of "Easy Outs". Whoever named them that should be jailed for fraud or something. They cant really be called screw extractors, because Ive yet to make them do that. I have found a use for one of the carbide ones. It was broken in 2 & I used one end to put the right side mirror back together. It broke off in the threads. I drilled a hole, top & bottom, then drilled a smaller hole, used piano wire in the smaller hole & the carbide ease out( yea Riight) in the biggun. Been holding for over 2 years.

But heres the deal on those carbide jobbies. They have ridges running the length of the thing. The kit has drill bits for each one, so you drill the hole & stay out of the threads, then drive this ridged rigid rod in the hole & those danged ridges press the wall of the Dutchman OUT into the threads its stuck in,,, Im sure it would work in some places, but Ive never managed to win with it. Maybe Im just not good at unscrewing screwups..

CONGRATULATIONS 4Carb, you pulled it off. I would be hunting a new carb right about now. Getting the screw out was quite the feat, but doing no damage? Total class act.

For me, getting a pipe dutchman out is the easiest. Take a round punch & grind a groove in it till it has an edge like a chisel, only its round, then start cutting the thing down in a couple of places till it will split in the grooves when you start to try to make a groove  90* away from the 2 youve made.

HEY, 4 Carbie, what kind of ease out did you use? How did you get so centered up on such a skinny little screw?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #28 - 08/06/09 at 08:45:13

It took patience. And crossing my fingers, arms legs and toes. I looked at the new mixture screw and tried to guess how deep the head was. I started with a 1/16 bit and kept going up each size  with the bits until I felt comfortable with trying the extractor. I was actually planning on getting at least a new carb base.

I have a set of Napa part number 2419 spiral screw extractors. Like these KD, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down, with the same part number: http://getmetools.com/kdtools.html

I hate the easy outs, they seem to break off wayy to easy. And of coarse you can't drill them out. These spirals seem to work.

And here is a pic of the mixture screw still attached to the extractor after I removed it.

07 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 08/06/09 at 11:08:06

Next time Im in trouble, Ill hunt some of those up, Thanks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:21:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › brass idle mixture screw. Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.