Send Topic Print
backrest (Read 227 times)
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

love my zuki! :)

New Mexico
backrest
07/22/09 at 17:40:10

I have a 2003 LS650. I want to remove the passenger backrest. I found that it is hard to get to the bolts that need to be removed. If anybody has any pointers to make this easier, please let me know!  Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: backrest
Reply #1 - 07/22/09 at 18:11:30

i was thinking of doing this and already stripped one of the bolts... whoops!

IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #2 - 07/22/09 at 18:20:29

Twdy,
Did you drop the rear fender to reach the bolts? Did you use a socket, or a wrench? Thanks[font=Verdana][/font]

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #3 - 07/22/09 at 19:17:02

Take the side rails off too.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #4 - 07/22/09 at 19:24:57

Seviersavage,
Will the fender have to be dropped in order to remove the side rails...or visa versa? I have helped my father in law to put one back together after having it painted, but can't remember the way it went back together exactly! What would be the easiest route? Thanks!

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #5 - 07/22/09 at 22:17:04

Side rails are held on by the bolts that are inside the fender and the two bolts right under the rider's seat.  Put some painter's tape on the fender, getting it as far under the rail as possible to help keep away the scratches.  You may or may not have to remove the rear tire to get to all the bolts.  

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 07/23/09 at 04:48:00

on my '95 i just reached in under the fender and removed the one bolt underneath and the other 2 that are visible. i didn't take off the wheel & it looks so much better without the sissy bar!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/23/09 at 16:09:01

jowamf wrote on 07/22/09 at 17:40:10:
I have a 2003 LS650. I want to remove the passenger backrest. I found that it is hard to get to the bolts that need to be removed. If anybody has any pointers to make this easier, please let me know!  Thanks!  Smiley

My arms reached in order to get the back bolt off. My hands are kinda chubby and reached in the tire with a number 12 wrench. Took a bit of time but no problem.

IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #8 - 07/23/09 at 18:31:18

Ok, I hit a dead end. I got the bolts under the cushion for the backrest off. But the bars are still attached. Do I need to remove the alan bolts on the under side of the side rails????

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #9 - 07/23/09 at 18:44:43

yep Wink

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #10 - 07/23/09 at 18:48:45

Shoot, I was afraid of that. Got that close, but I c,kt get the dang things to break.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 07/23/09 at 23:09:11

try liquid wrench, or try tightening them a little then loosening them! things are always hard to reach, a mechanic has some tricks up his sleeves...along with grease!

i told my friend(who is saving for a bike to make a bobber as well) even though mine is a rat bobber(brobber? brat?) i want to make a "mock" company since we do everything in our backyards and the motto will be BLOOD, SWEAT & A LITTLE CURSING...WE DON'T CRY" haha i made that up all by myself...now where's my cookie?!! Huh

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
jowamf
YaBB Newbies

New Mexico
Reply #12 - 07/24/09 at 08:23:33

I probably sound like a complete moron, but I am new at this, so bare with me pleae!! I am curious if my pathetic little butt can ever get those dang alan bolts loose on the bottom side, is that the last thing I should need to do to get them loose? I had to put it all back together last night, as I had to work today....BOOOO....so before I tear into it again I want to make sure I am not going to run into anything else I can't man-handle my way out of....as I am a woman, and not too good at man-handling. Too scrawny! LOL Thanks again for all the info!

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #13 - 07/24/09 at 08:54:28

i didn't even realize u were a lady! sorry! i should start paying attention to who i'm posting to!

yeah it should take much force to tighten the loosen, u should be fine! once u become a little more comfortable it'll be more fun i promise!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 07/24/09 at 08:56:23

You can use a longer allen wrench you have more leavage with that ,Also can put pressures on in and tap with a hammer.hold the allen wrench tight or you wreck the allen screw

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 05:01:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › backrest

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.