paulchristi
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

My other bike is a
surfboard

Tucson, Arizona
Chirping Belt - Fixed!
07/22/09 at 12:46:23

Like a good owner I diligently used my belt tension tool to check and adjust my drive belt.  I figured that a squeaky belt came with the package because I followed the owner's manual, right?  After research and help from this website, I now have a nice quiet drive belt.  Here's what worked for me:

1.  Throw your belt tension tool in the trash, recycle it, or find something else to use it for (doorstop?).

2.  Elevate your rear wheel.  It's critical to be able to spin it to adjust the belt.  This website has an excellent home-built lift, I built mine using scrap lumber I had sitting around.

3.  Loosen the axle nut.

4.  Ignore the marks on the frame for axle alignment.

5.  Adjust the axle nuts until all of the following is true:
    A.  When you spin the rear wheel, the belt rides in the center of the rear pulley.
    B.   Grab the belt between the front and rear pulleys and twist.  Using moderate force, you should be able to twist the belt 90 degrees or a little less.

6.  Tighten the axle nuts and double-check your belt alignment to be sure that nothing moved.

You're done!  Enjoy the less obnoxious ride.

Paul Christiansen
Hammond, Oregon
2005 S40

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Chirping Belt - Fixed!
Reply #1 - 07/22/09 at 13:28:17

& carry a little canning wax to stick on the belt in a few places,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 07/22/09 at 13:34:15

I use bees wax. A little application to the belt edges once in a while gets the squeek out.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/22/09 at 15:47:01

paulchristi wrote on 07/22/09 at 12:46:23:
Like a good owner I diligently used my belt tension tool to check and adjust my drive belt.  I figured that a squeaky belt came with the package because I followed the owner's manual, right?  After research and help from this website, I now have a nice quiet drive belt.  Here's what worked for me:

1.  Throw your belt tension tool in the trash, recycle it, or find something else to use it for (doorstop?).

2.  Elevate your rear wheel.  It's critical to be able to spin it to adjust the belt.  This website has an excellent home-built lift, I built mine using scrap lumber I had sitting around.

3.  Loosen the axle nut.

A.  When you spin the rear wheel, the belt rides in the center of the rear pulley.
    B.   Grab the belt between the front and rear pulleys and twist.  Using moderate force, you should be able to twist the belt 90 degrees or a little less.

6.  Tighten the axle nuts and double-check your belt alignment to be sure that nothing moved.

Paul Christiansen
Hammond, Oregon
2005 S40

Is this a good way to aling a rear wheel?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/22/09 at 16:49:55

odvelasc wrote on 07/22/09 at 15:47:01:
paulchristi wrote on 07/22/09 at 12:46:23:

3.  Loosen the axle nut.

Paul Christiansen
Hammond, Oregon
2005 S40

Is this a good way to aling a rear wheel?

I've been doing this for some time and find it's worked well on all 3 bikes that I've done it to.

Slight mod to his instructions though.  Spin the wheel one way and adjust, spin it the other way and adjust again.  repeat until the belt is mostly in the center.

Now if it can't be done... you got a problem with either the rubber dampers or the bear the pulley rides on.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 07/23/09 at 21:30:55

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:27:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chirping Belt - Fixed!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.