Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idle Conversation (Read 156 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Idle Conversation
07/19/09 at 07:55:41

CAUTION: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Random link: Road Star Clinic has been a great source of information.

Since my last thread failed to gain a response. I am going to assume no one knows. The rule of thumb that I've seen spread is: go up a pilot jet size if the idle mixture screw is more than 3 turns out

Is there a similar rule of thumb for going down a size?

I assume we're using Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning as our tuning procedure.

There are several reasons for this thread. First, to gather my thoughts in one place. Second, to find out if I'm being rational or not.

Assumption: At idle the pilot jet, idle mixture screw, needle jet, jet needle, idle speed adjustment screw, and throttle plate have an effect on the air/fuel mixture. The pilot jet and idle mixture screw have the largest impact. The impact of other components may or may not be significant or measurable.

Assumption: For any size pilot jet the idle mixture screw can be adjusted to produce a theoretically perfect air/fuel mixture. This is obviously not completely true, but it may be true for the three sizes normally considered (52.5, 52.5 with bleed holes, 55).

Proposal: With a theoretically perfect air/fuel mixture, a fixed volume of reactants (air/fuel) is required for the engine to produce a specific RPM.

Consequences: A smaller pilot jet will produce a lower volume of reactants at a theoretically perfect air/fuel mixture. Therefore an adjustment to the idle speed adjustment screw to open the throttle plate wider will be required to reach a specific RPM. Therefore, with a smaller pilot jet the needle jet and jet needle have a more significant impact at idle. That role may or may not be significant or measurable.

There are 3 easily observable results of adjusting the carburetor. First is a change in fuel economy. Second is the afterfire at shutdown. Third is the afterfire at throttle close.

The afterfire at shutdown is often attributed to a lean idle circuit.

The afterfire at throttle close is often attributed to a lean mid to idle transition.

Why am I blathering on like this?

With no other changes, by using no white spacer I was able to eliminate the afterfire at shutdown, the afterfire at throttle close, and decrease the fuel economy.

With no other changes, by increasing to one half a white spacer I was able to continue to have no afterfire at shutdown, but reintroduced the afterfire at throttle close, and saw a relative increase in the fuel economy.

An additional thought: Given two S40s with no difference other than the pilot jet size, assuming each carburetor is adjusted appropriately, will they have a difference in fuel economy? If so, why?

The Road Star Clinic mentioned above has the following passage:
Quote:
A lean mixture tends to burn too slowly and causes hesitation to throttle input, reduced mileage, intake backfiring, exhaust backfiring, surging at steady throttle cruise speed, and/or engine overheating. A rich mixture burns faster than a lean one, but may cause poor mileage, smell of unburned gasoline, and/or reduced power.

I was under the impression that surging at steady throttle cruise speed was primarily impacted by the "mid circuit" (needle jet, jet needle, and throttle plate).

I did experience surging at steady throttle cruise speed with a 55 pilot and full spacer. I did not experience it with a 55 pilot and no spacer. I'm still evaluating one half spacer, but I believe there is some light surging at very specific throttle openings.

I'm somewhat surprised to learn that the 55 pilot may be too lean and I could be over compensating with a richer mid circuit. Thoughts?

Edited:
07/19/09 at 08:05:01
Turns out I didn't read far enough.
Quote:
A lean condition, on the needle will give less than optimum acceleration, may result in surging during cruise and give poor gas mileage.

So lets blame both and call it a day.

This turned into a really long post. Hopefully, the helpful people here have some experience in these areas and can help me understand what I've observed and proposed.

If these topics have already been discussed, here or elsewhere, please feel free to post a link.

Thanks.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Idle Conversation
Reply #1 - 07/19/09 at 09:42:55

That's a lot of thinkin'!....

I've known more than a handful of people that were highly skilled at carb  jetting... Way more knowledgeable than me... and they didn't agree...

It's part science, part art, and a dash of gut instinct.

All of your assumptions are basically concluding that the inner workings of a carb are interactive and adjusting one will impact another.  That's where the art, gut instinct come in...

IT IS ROCKET SCIENCE!... with a bit of Merlin mixed in....

A lot of people want to be told, " Use this pilot, and this main, and this much spacer, and your jetting will be perfect"...
It don't work like that... No jetting is perfect...
Just riding under a cloud will create a shady spot that will be cooler and have more humidity than full sun...
If I had my bike jetted with an exhaust analyzer and dyno'd, it would be excellent for the conditions in the building that the test was done.  But I tend to ride in the outdoors, and mostly up mountains.  Temp's can vary 40f degrees and 7,00ft in elevation, not to mention rain and humidity....
So, with all the science and theory,.. you're only looking for a good average that will serve you're riding habits.  That's why racers adjust jetting every day for every track...

Now, I'm gonna' go back and read your post again... to see if I can add any of it to my basic understanding.  
I won't try to guess what is right or wrong, or by how much,...
I'll just pour it in my head and see what sticks.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/19/09 at 11:14:00

Well, nobody else is chatting here so,...

1. Will a slightly smaller pilot jet, requiring a little more opening on the throttle valve, create a faster response on acceleration by having some vacuum already drawing gas through the larger circuits?...
I don't know...

2. With the spring pushing the needle slide down, and engine vacuum pulling it down,...what raises it?... what overcomes the resistance of the spring when the vacuum is low?...
I know that's a dumb one...

3. Is vacuum to the needle jet metered by the air jet at the top of the carb, over the slide diaphragm?... If so, why aren't we playing with that one?...  

4. If a dummy grenade is inert, is a live one ert?.... Huh

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 07/19/09 at 11:36:56

Serowbot wrote on 07/19/09 at 11:14:00:
1. Will a slightly smaller pilot jet, requiring a little more opening on the throttle valve, create a faster response on acceleration by having some vacuum already drawing gas through the larger circuits?...
I don't know...

I don't believe so because even with the throttle fully closed, there is some small about of gas being drawn through the main circuits.

What I am curious about is: Are there multiple idle circuits that aren't adjustable that help smooth the response between the idle and main circuit. Perhaps it isn't the need jet/jet needle that's causing the idle to vary when changing the idle speed adjustment screw, but the opening of additional idle circuits. This article on Road Star Clinic talks about it.

The implication is the needle jet/jet needle has an insignificant impact at idle.

2. With the spring pushing the needle slide down, and engine vacuum pulling it down,...what raises it?... what overcomes the resistance of the spring when the vacuum is low?...
I know that's a dumb one...

Actually, I had that same question until this morning. The first Road Star Clinic article addresses it.
Basically, the diaphragm is affected on one side by the vacuum after the throttle plate and on the other side by the vacuum before the throttle plate. Neither of which is the normal atmosphere.

So at idle, with a really strong vacuum after the throttle plate, the needle is pulled down.  At high speed, with a low vacuum after the idle plate and a high vacuum in the venturi, the needle is pulled up.

That's how I understand it.

3. Is vacuum to the needle jet metered by the air jet at the top of the carb, over the slide diaphragm?... If so, why aren't we playing with that one?...  

That is the pilot air jet. (I think that's the one you're talking about.) We could mess with it, but I don't think it's necessary. That provides a different way of adjusting the idle circuit richness and I think we have enough degrees of freedom between the pilot jet and idle mixture screw.

Edited:
07/19/09 at 11:38:58
I wish we had a mechanical drawing or at least a detailed drawing of the carburetor.  A manual would be nice. Any type of documentation.
Does anybody have a spare carburetor torn apart that they'd be willing to photograph? Perhaps poke some threads through the holes to identify flow?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #4 - 07/19/09 at 12:10:05

This book would answer all these questions and a few more. Anyone interested in motorcycle carburettors should really think of getting a copy.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/19/09 at 12:37:03

"So at idle, with a really strong vacuum after the throttle plate, the needle is pulled down.  At high speed, with a low vacuum after the idle plate and a high vacuum in the venturi, the needle is pulled up."

That is my understanding too..... But!.... The spring on top of the slide pushes it down all time!..  High vacuum also draws it down,.... What pushes it up?... What overcomes the spring pressure?.  There's lesser pressure on the low side of the throttle plate, but not a negative pressure unless you have an afterfire...
Low vacuum will pull nothing... Undecided
I know I'm wrong,... just don't know where.... Huh

EDIT:  I think I just got it....
RE-EDIT: Nope,.. I don'tEmbarrassed

Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/19/09 at 12:53:21

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/19/09 at 13:05:49

Nope,... I still don't see where anything's pulling the slide "up"... There's nothing above the diaphragm except for the top plate..
Not that I can think of...

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 07/19/09 at 14:38:42

SV og LS wrote on 07/19/09 at 12:10:05:
This book would answer all these questions and a few more. Anyone interested in motorcycle carburetors should really think of getting a copy.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure it's very good, but I doubt it answers the specific questions we have about the BS40SS.

The area above/inside the diaphragm (#9 - labeled "piston valve") is connected to the venturi (narrow part of the throat of the carburetor) via the holes through the jet needle plate (#3).

The area below/outside the piston valve (#9) is connected to the throat of the carburetor after the throttle valve (#16) via holes not in this diagram.

When the throttle valve is closed, the high vacuum after it also causes a high vacuum under the diaphragm. This sucks the needle down.

When the throttle valve is wide open, the high vacuum in the venturi also causes a high vacuum above the diaphragm. This sucks the needle up.

Thanks for the fiche. Unfortunately that doesn't show the required details of the carburetor body.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/19/09 at 15:07:52

So, somewhere near the pilot air jet #11, is a passage or passages that draw venturi vacuum... but it must be located below the #9 rubber diaphragm (that's the part that confused me).. because there are no passages above it... but perhaps, being above the slide itself, it causes the vacuum created to pull the slide up...
That would make sense for me... How about you?.. Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/19/09 at 15:31:55

One more small tuning tip.....
This bike, being so lightweight,... slight wind buffeting or natural air pockets and turbulence, can cause the mistaken impression of lean surge....  that's why I go more by finding the pilot jet size that likes to be 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns out on the idle mix... on the smaller side is best for good cruising mpg's... and has little effect on performance...

That's just how I do it....

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #11 - 07/20/09 at 07:39:17

One thing that's definitely wrong with my assumptions is that the volume of gas at idle is limited by the pilot jet.

The volume of gas at idle is limited by the idle mixture screw. Which means when the throttle begins to open, the vacuum over the pilot probably increases before decreasing.

The implication is that the pilot jet size has the largest impact, not at idle, but at very slight throttle openings.

My local library has the recommended book. I'm going to be doing some reading this weekend.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:32:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle Conversation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.