oil leak ? (Read 203 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
oil leak ?
07/17/09 at 00:43:54

my beast is leaking @ the bolt under the exhaust in the front of the engine....it looks like it may be getting worse so i want her not to spew anymore!

i've read u can just loctite and throw it back in....i read 17 pounds to torque it on...if u don't have a torque wrench how do u do that?

and if i have to get a torque wrench. there's settings on it right? i've seen them used but was always under the car(smaller dude, gotta squeeze in the tight spaces) i'd hear it click, is that per pound is one click?

i really hope it's just that easy(loctite and back in) because i'm having way too much fun tearing it up and down everywhere! the commute to the job used to suck, til i started thumpin!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: oil leak ?
Reply #1 - 07/17/09 at 01:24:20

i need a torque wrench, ive stripped too many bolts already.  you set the wrench to what you want and then it clicks when your there

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/17/09 at 03:25:12

The click means you've hit the set torque,... it's adjustable by twisting the barrel of the wrench.....
The bad news, (not so bad), is that the oil leak you have, is under the valve cover.... a rubber plug, famous for leaking...
See the tech section....
Repair is a bit of a bugger, but there are step by step instructions, ($10 bucks for rubber plug, and $10 bucks for Honda-bond sealant)... or, if it's not too bad, just live with it....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #3 - 07/17/09 at 07:08:06

Yeah man, if you don't want the big down time, ride her until this fall/winter then tear it apart and fix it. At least, that's my plan for this season. Tech section has all the info.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 07/17/09 at 07:34:21

I've been really lazy with the oil leak. Bought the plug last year and was going to do the plug and tank paint over the winter but did nothing but ride it right through the cold weather, flurries and all. Yes, it's a nuisance, but so is working on it in the sand under the tree in front of my place. Could use Mom's garage, but I guess I'm just a lazy sob. She cools down and I wipe it off with a rag. Worse after a highway ride, but hardly lose any oil, just a couple of tablespoons at the most. Doesn't really bother me enough to tear into it at this point. Paid $1000 for it and am enjoying every dimes worth.

FSO
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 07/17/09 at 08:42:19

crap! the problem is there's no down time here, winter will be 75 degrees and breezy! i'll clean her off and see how much is leaking, i may just leave it for now if it's not too bad. as long as it's nothing serious!

i paid 1700(2000 including dealer fees) everything is expensive in west palm beach!

so she'll just be a little sloppy ahaaa

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/17/09 at 09:03:20

The trick is to have all your supplies ready.
If they predict a weeks worth of rain, go for it.
that's what I do.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 07/17/09 at 19:29:07

No it IS the nut under the header you're talking about. I had the same and used blue loctite and tightened it back down. Leaking stopped. I just loosened the nut and felt how much it took to break it loose, and then applied the same strength to tighten. It just worked great.Rocco wrote on 07/17/09 at 00:43:54:
my beast is leaking @ the bolt under the exhaust in the front of the engine....it looks like it may be getting worse so i want her not to spew anymore!

i've read u can just loctite and throw it back in....i read 17 pounds to torque it on...if u don't have a torque wrench how do u do that?

and if i have to get a torque wrench. there's settings on it right? i've seen them used but was always under the car(smaller dude, gotta squeeze in the tight spaces) i'd hear it click, is that per pound is one click?

i really hope it's just that easy(loctite and back in) because i'm having way too much fun tearing it up and down everywhere! the commute to the job used to suck, til i started thumpin!!!

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 07/17/09 at 20:38:49

ralfyguy, u are the man! i thought it was because it appears to be leaking right from that nut. i'll put pics up if u like, but i'm almost 100% sure that's what it is!! i am so happy it's a quick fix!!!!!! ravenous!!!!!!!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 07/17/09 at 21:06:25

Yeah show me some pics. I am curious too.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: oil leak ? WITH PICS!!
Reply #10 - 07/18/09 at 08:55:39

here it is! this looks like it's coming from that bolt!

what does it do?

which tube(color) threadlock is the one that u can remove later?

and when i do it do i hand tighten then give a small bit of torque with the socket? i assume it's a 10mm haven't even tried yet.

it's not too bad, but if i can fix it easily then y not?! plus too there's alot of oil build up now so it kinda flies on me while riding lol i'm sure it's been leaking the whole time, and now has enough to fill some of the "lines" in the engine.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 07/18/09 at 10:47:31

Rocco wrote on 07/17/09 at 08:42:19:
crap! the problem is there's no down time here, winter will be 75 degrees and breezy!

life is hard, huh ?  

in PA we're lucky if it's 75/breezy in the summer!
Angry

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 07/18/09 at 12:40:48

Rocco wrote on 07/18/09 at 08:55:39:

what does it do?

and when i do it do i hand tighten then give a small bit of torque with the socket? i assume it's a 10mm haven't even tried yet.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs187.snc1/6280_1026531963438_18...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs187.snc1/6280_1026532003439_18...

it's not too bad, but if i can fix it easily then y not?! plus too there's alot of oil build up now so it kinda flies on me while riding lol i'm sure it's been leaking the whole time, and now has enough to fill some of the "lines" in the engine.

That's the one. I used the blue loctite and it's 12mm wrench size, or you can use a 1/2" wrench. Remove the nut and clean the area and the nut. Put a drop or two of blue loctite about half way up the bolt. Then put the nut on and tighten about the same amount it took to break loose. DONE!  Smiley

BUT if I look a little closer at your pic, it seems to me, that the oil comes from the area where the infamous oil plug resides/leaks, from higher up. So I dunno if that is your problem. I would clean up the area entirely first and then ride and observe where it comes from. Use some degreaser to spray it down.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/18/09 at 12:47:55

what does it do?

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs187.snc1/6280_1026531963438_18...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs187.snc1/6280_1026532003439_18...

Is that from the left side of the cylinder or the front? If it is from the left side, thant it shouldnt leak because there i nothing there to leak.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #14 - 07/18/09 at 13:17:36

what does it do?

That's a head bolt believe it or not. You have six headbolts. Four under the head cover and two outside the head. That one in front and it's twin on the back of the cylinder.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:20:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil leak ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.