Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil Coooler
Reply #60 - 02/11/14 at 20:16:34

Yeah, Dave is right, we have abused the bikes as badly as anyone ever has and the stock cooling level actually is enough.

I don't really count as a frankie bike as mine is a street sleeper -- looks exactly like Gandma's old worn out scoot  --  wearing saddle bags and fugly discolored pipe and lots of wear on it.

It looks just exactly like the absolute un-bearable totally intolerable ultimate male ego insult to a $20,000 Hurley guy that just got his butt passed on a mountain road.

And what it does to $30,000 Ducati Monster owners all proud in their new leathers -- the shame should not even be described .... they won't even look at you when they see you in the cafeteria.

Wink

When my piston gets sloppy I will go with a larger piston and then I will have all the frankie parts to be a real frankie.  

Until then I will just be a slightly augmented old fool.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

Dave cheats, he has always used water cooling to keep his temps down whenever he actually lets his frankie off the leash ....

And remember, MM has him a new Hurley for us to play with ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 02/11/14 at 23:13:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/11/14 at 20:16:34:

And what it does to $30,000 Ducati Monster owners all proud in their new leathers -- the shame should not even be described .... they won't even look at you when they see you in the cafeteria.

Dave cheats, he has always used water cooling to keep his temps down whenever he actually lets his frankie off the leash ....

You can outrun Ducati Monsters on a Savage?

..wait.. whats that.. water cooling? Go on... do tell? Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #62 - 02/12/14 at 05:29:29

savagebob wrote on 02/11/14 at 23:13:35:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/11/14 at 20:16:34:

You can outrun Ducati Monsters on a Savage?

..wait.. whats that.. water cooling? Go on... do tell? Cool

Oldfellor is pointing out that the only time I made a dash for the lead role......was in the pouring rain.....and I didn't have a front fender.

On the Dragon excerusions we have passed Ducati's, lots of sport bikes, Harleys....and some really capable bikes with not so competent riders.  And sometimes......some really good sport bike riders show us how it is supposed to be done!  There really isn't a lot of need for big HP on the Dragon......30 HP is about all the power you haver room to use. Grin      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #63 - 02/12/14 at 09:02:09

By and large the best sport bike up in the mountains is any 600cc four cylinder state of the art sports bike ridden by a competent younger rider.  

They stay in second gear all the time and just wick it up and down and concentrate on hard on their late braking ....

They got the brakes -- and they have 100 hp to wick up and down gently with their wrist.  

They balk whenever their front wheel goes up coming out of a turn or their rear end comes up (and jumps over) whenever late braking hard into a turn.

This scares the shite out of me riding so close to the edge, so I will quit playing with them when they start to get erratic.   I know a hurley can wreck low-side "safely" because of hitting hard on the frame, so I always pass them on the inside of whatever sort of turn we are on.  

Hurleys can just wreck themselves low-side in the next turn and go on about it, I am generally well past them on up the road at that point anyway.  
Litters the road some for the guys coming up behind though ....

Sports bike guys can suddenly go sideways during braking and whack you with the rear end if you try to go outside them.  Or re-point themselves right at you if you try to go on the inside and their butt rides up on hard braking or slides over due to too much throttle.  

And they can then EASILY accelerate right into you if they are mis-pointed some ....

The good ones are just a flash in the rear-view mirror and whooosh they are on past you like you were sitting still.

The good ones get a respectful nod for a job well done -- and we never make it easy for them.

=====================

But that guy on the white goldwing gets my extra especial respect -- I have never ever passed him yet and the reverse is certainly not the case.  

He is vetty vetty vetty Gooooood with that goldwing .....  

I make it as hard as I can but he still goes past me on my very first bobble.   Best I have ever done is to hold him off for like 5 turns.

I think he is the local dude with the current low time on the Dragon round trip run, up turn at the bridge turn and and come back down.

=====================

That has got to be hell on the male ego, to have fat 'ol fluck on Granny's old single cylinder pass you, and then here come 3 others that do the exact same thing to you.  

Gots to rile you up some, it does.

The only one that looked like he actually stopped looking for a fist-fight was the guy with the pretty girl in that little red European sports car.  

We had all passed him and a couple of other things after him and had gotten to the overlook and had gotten off the bikes and were taking off helmets when he screeched to a stop on the other side of the road and got out.   Started walking across the street to us when he suddenly counted heads and saw what, four of us and only one of him?    

And we were grouped into a whole bunch of other bikers (always lots of bikers taking a bit of a breather at the top of the hill overlook).  
Odds certainly didn't look good fer him picking a fight with 15 bikers all turning to face him.

Lancer and I had our helmets swinging loose from the chin strap in our right hands and Lancer always looks ready what with his bald head and scrappy demeanor.  

And MM was already laughing at him, what with him coming over to get his butt kicked yet again ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 02/12/14 at 11:54:40

I have no idea what the dragon is but man that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm picturing something like the Nurdburg ring up a hill where you can ride as fast as you want.

So what's this about water cooling Oldfeller?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #65 - 02/12/14 at 12:09:56

Dave answered you himself about 3 posts up.

Always make a habit of going back up to your last post and reading everything down from there.  If you don't you'll miss stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 02/12/14 at 12:20:12

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 02/12/14 at 12:39:27

oh.. right.. the rain! LOL

That Dragon run looks fantastic. Maybe one day I can go there.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #68 - 02/12/14 at 22:18:35

SavageBob, looks like it's a lot longer than the ZIGZAG out of Cardrona.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #69 - 02/13/14 at 03:55:06

Pull up the area on google earth for the satellite's view, magnify so you can see the details of the road, and follow the Dragon from Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort to the end of the 11 mile run.  It is an impressive road and quite a challenge to ride.
TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT.   Wink  Grin  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 01:30:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Coooler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.