Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Oil Coooler (Read 1299 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Oil Coooler
Reply #30 - 02/09/14 at 01:14:22

Ok so I've got an oil cooler which I'm trying to fit. I got the m14x1.25 fitting and had to use an impact driver to get it out. Got a few questions:

The return port is REALLY close to the frame. Although a banjo would fit in there, I can't see it being possible to get the banjo bolt in without removing engine? (and I'm not doing that). Can someone please advise?

I was thinking, it would be way easier to take off the little oil-filter cover and drill a hole and put a hose fitting in there for the return..

..and then I was thinking, why not just put a hose tail in place of the oil fill cap? Surely that would be the simplest solution.

I was also thinking that if I use either of those two latter methods, then the return port under the frame would remain sealed, which should mean that the cooler gets full flow, yes?  Huh

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 02/09/14 at 08:18:20

savagebob wrote on 02/09/14 at 01:14:22:
The return port is REALLY close to the frame. Although a banjo would fit in there, I can't see it being possible to get the banjo bolt in without removing engine? (and I'm not doing that). Can someone please advise?
You don't have to remove the engine, just lift it a bit.  Pull the top mount, and all the frame to engine bolts, maybe loosen the back one.  and remove the header.  then you can lift the front of the engine to get enough room to slip the new banjo and bolt in.
Quote:
I was thinking, it would be way easier to take off the little oil-filter cover and drill a hole and put a hose fitting in there for the return..
might work, easy to fix if it didn't.  what others have done is put a port in on top of the case into the oil filter pocket.
Quote:
..and then I was thinking, why not just put a hose tail in place of the oil fill cap? Surely that would be the simplest solution.
and you'd have engine failure in 15 minutes.
Quote:
I was also thinking that if I use either of those two latter methods, then the return port under the frame would remain sealed, which should mean that the cooler gets full flow, yes?  Huh
si, cool oil only if you blocked the oil port to the cover.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 02/09/14 at 09:10:52

Verslagen,  you have done extensive temperature work on the Savage using all the normal running conditions.  

If memory serves 350-400F degrees is a reasonable max "soak temperature" upon quickly stopping from full interstate speeds.

(please correct the numbers if my memory fails me on the particulars)

The engine ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES oil temperatures to get up over 250F degrees to boil off water condensation from the sump.

Running the sump temperature significantly below 250F using an oil cooler to dump all the heat is a bad idea as you will never boil off the combustion byproduct water vapor that condenses in the sump.

Highest temperatures Dave has ever seen on his Vapor rig (connected to a head bolt) was found creeping up a steep gravel switchback road up in the NC mountains.   Dave can chip in with his actual numbers, I don't remember them except they were pretty high as the engines were straining and the air flow was just about nil.

In all cases historically, the Savage does not have oil sludging/jelling issues or excessive sludge build up or carbon chunking or any of the other signs of excessive engine temperatures attacking the engine oil.

In all cases, a good synthetic oil such as Rotella T-6 has proven to be completely temperature proof for any sort of abuse we have ever done to a Savage on our most abusive mountain runs (and some runs were pretty grueling).   Indeed, no normal dino oil has ever failed on these runs either.   Dave and others were using dino oil on that run with no evil done to the oil or engine.

So, all this drives the question, why are you messing around with an oil cooler again?

Both Verslagen and I have prototyped extensive oil filtration systems that did some remote cooling as well and we hit "can't get over them" issues with the very low oil pressure and flow rates that come from our oil pump not having any real pressure/volume to be able to split in half at low speed so as to to keep the head bearings properly lubricated.

There are other issues associated with back flow valve start points and other items which make it hard to keep all that extra oil up in the cooler from going back down into the sump while the bike is parked.

Ed L had these issues.   He is one of the few Savagers who actually did put a oil cooler on his bike.   I was behind him one time when his excess sump oil was exiting his airbox breather tube (it was oil mist everywhere for a whlle).  

Made a bit of a mess on my face shield it did.

Your ideas as given out so far involve putting in a parallel pathway cooling system similar to Ed L's which will greatly reduce the idle speed oil flow and oil pressure to the head bearings.   This is a bad idea on general head bearing lubrication principles and it will have all the temporary on start up sump overflow issues on top of it unless you can find them magical mythical very very low pressure shut off anti-backflow valves.

Huh

And all of it isn't necessary -- the Savage does not HAVE any real oil overheating problems to begin with.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 02/09/14 at 11:05:17

My temps were based on the oil filter cover and the head next to the cam bore plug using an IR temp gage.

Oil filter cover is probably the low end of the temp cycle.

Using new temp sensors I measure...
Quote:
Head temps currently only bordering on 300°F at the head bolt next to sparky.
Oil temp measured at front pressure tap has hit 218°F

Quote:
This mornings run got it up to 220°F mainly cause there was no traffic and I ran 75/85 all the way.

paulmarshall wrote on 12/13/12 at 12:49:31:
paulmarshall wrote on 12/12/12 at 18:16:53:
I took my Savage out for a 45min ride on a hot day and the temp reached 132 degrees Celsius [270°F] for those of you who are interested. I will be using a mates GPS tomorrow to check that my speedo is calibrated properly. The pic is very fuzzy sorry, but if you look closely up in the top right hand corner you cant just make out the 132 temp.

After going on a long ride today, I must give a more accurate measure of temp. The air temp today was 26C-78.8F and at a around town speed of 50KM-31MPH the head temp sat on 73C-163.4F.
And at open road speed of 100KM-62MPH the head temp dropped and sat on 51C-123F.
The temp that I provided yesterday was a reading from the max screen. eg. Highest speed, highest temp, etc.
I did have it sitting in idle for ages which might account for the high temp.

Some more useless info for those of you interested.
I am happy with the purchase and find it interesting while riding to have this information at my fingertips. It too will help me be more vigilant about my head temp.

I think I recall breaking 300 and then some, can't find it though.

WWW   IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 02/09/14 at 12:20:01

Oldfeller; I'm supercharging my savage which is going to increase the heat significantly. So I hoped to fit an oil cooler as, pretty much, the only mod available to increase cooling.

So are you saying that if I put an oil cooler in I'm going to upset the oil flow to the cam?

This probably sounds retarded, but has anyone considered plumbing the cool oil from the cooler straight to a port in the head cover so it goes straight over the cam? I'm guessing it would take too much effort to pump it up there?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 02/09/14 at 14:52:25

Yes, we discussed this in the past at length and Verslagen and I actually figured out how to install an oil line fitting in the head itself.    I have an oil fitting installed on my backup engine that feeds directly to the very last cam bearing on the internal oil passages.

To make this oil cooling idea even start to work you need to use a custom gasket that totally blocks off the oil passage between the right hand oil filter/clutch cover housing and the main crank housing.   This forces all oil flow and pressure to go out the oil testing port.

This could provide full 100% low rpm oil pressure to your cam gallery through your exterior piping.

Issue now becomes how do you feed all the interior transmission, crank and such like passages if you do this 100% out the test port trick?

Provide proper oil pressure to them through exterior tubing and you are back into parallel pathways again pressure-wise.   But you can use all the oil volume/pressure available running it through your cooler if you do the plumbing right.

But there will be no large volume of flow through the oil cooler doing the trick this way, just what will exit through the cam clearances, crank shaft clearances and transmission flow clearances.

You simply cannot move a large oil volume to "cool the oil" without lowering both oil flow and pressure to the critical internal areas AND the head area.   Your oil pump is currently sized to JUST BARELY feed the internal needs with no deflection of the oil flow for any bulk cooling.

=========================

Now, let's play with the ideas a little bit.   You say supercharging, but do you really mean turbo charging?

Some of your sketches seem to show a turbo, I think.

Does your turbo require an oil feed and a return feed line?

If it is a turbo, then you likely need to run a synthetic oil like T-6 anyway so the oil won't cook itself solid when you cut the engine off and the hot turbo sits with some static oil in it.

If you are running T-6, then you don't need to do any special oil cooling anyway since the Savage at whatever temperature simply doesn't get nearly as hot as a turbo does.

All big 16 wheeler engines have oil passage turbos on them and T-6 was built for that duty from the get go --- it doesn't care about turbo heat unless it goes way up past 550-600F.

=========================

I investigated nitrous quite intensely at one point in time as it was the cheapest way to find an extra 25 hp.

I determined that the Savage clutch couldn't take that extra 25 horse power without extra plates and stronger springs.

The SV 650 uses the EXACT same steels and fiber plates that we do, just with two more fibers and steels in a slightly longer basket (same exact construction type, just longer for more plates).

I also determined that the tranny would likely go next after the clutch was strengthened  (considering the output shaft pulley splines as part of the tranny makes this just about a no brainer).

I then noticed I was really trying (expensively and laboriously) to bump the Savage up to almost the performance level of a bone stock SV650, so I bought an SV650 and rode it for the most part of a year until I realized that a re-cammed OS high compression pistoned Savage was really enough bike for everything I ever needed.

So, Dave and Lancer have actually built the bike I then envisioned and they can wax my butt at will on a straight away.  To outdo them I would have to go nitrous now -- which means the clutch can't take it ......   etc. etc.  etc.

Next nugget is that riding with two of these known to be better bikes that I know can wax my butt at will, I still can run at the head of the pack as a pure willingness to put your butt on out there in the curvies is more important than hp.  

And the last little nugget for your happy meal is this one, Big Zuk can wax MY butt and all our butts at will on the mountain curvies (run slam away from everybody else) on a bone stock Savage .....

Roll Eyes

..... unless it is raining on us hard -- in which case Dave will ride MUCH more aggressively because it is really cold and nasty and he really really really really wants to get back to the cabin and get a nice hot shower ....  

And the driving rain keeps him from even reading his speedo so he doesn't even notice he's flying along at 75+ mph in the driving rain.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 02/09/14 at 16:19:51

Oldfeller; I'm most definitely supercharging. It's an interesting and different approach to performance and I'm almost there:

Superchargers don't get as hot as turbos so I don't have to worry about heat-soak and they are self cooled so I don't have to worry about heating up engine oil. However there will be heat produced from the power. Every extra hp will be an extra hp's worth of heat.

I don't know what figures to expect but I'm aiming for a conservative boost level of around 6 or 7 psi and would like to think it will add around 20 - 30hp.

My main concern was that because the savage is air-cooled that it might venture past what it's capable of cooling. Thus the oil cooler appeared, initially, to be a perfect solution.

I'm not using Rotella. We do not have that product in New Zealand. I'm currently running Prenrite 100% PAO & Ester full synthetic SAE 10W-40 http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=7&id_subcateg=95&id_produc...

I plan to deal with the clutch fails later but are you saying the SV650 clutch is a direct replacement?
Just wondering how did you determine that the stock clutch can't take an extra 25hp without actually trying it?

So, it's starting to look like I'm better off NOT putting on the oil cooler after all to maintain full pressure and flow to the head?   That is very disappointing news. Sad

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 02/10/14 at 02:17:54

How did I determine the clutch would slip?

Easy, they like to slip now as a stock engine if you give them the very least excuse (wrong push rod length, energy star oil, etc.).   Mine (stock plates and springs) requires careful adjustment to not slip, and I only make 5-10 extra hp out of my modest mods.  

You are gonna likely need a better clutch, Barrett sells a kevlar one for the Savage with better springs in the package, and you can also pick up SV650 Barrett kevlar clutch pack on Ebay real cheap sometimes.   Doing it that way gets you two extra spare plates and steels .....

Dave runs extra power EMCO Clutch springs in his clutch pack, making around 10-15 extra hp.   Extra power springs put extra stress on the eccentric cam that actuates the clutch, which is a known failure point in stock engines.

The SV 650 makes 74 hp and uses the same part numbers for fiber and steel plates as the Savage, but has 2 more steels and 2 more fibers in the same design basket (basket has longer ears though -- too long to fit under our cover).   Since you are going to approach those hp numbers, guess what you may require to handle that extra hp and torque.

Your Penrite full synthetic oil may well be good enough to run with NO extra cooling required -- it is a PAO full synthetic base stock after all.   Sure, it will get hot under boost, but you don't run high boost all the time, so the oil can cool off during the lower rpm cruising periods.

Going full boost supercharger, you are going to make more peak HP and torque than any of us have done so far, and I expect you will learn more about extra HP clutches and trannys that I currently know.

=====================

I recommend you leave off the oil cooler for now, and see if the Penrite is heat proof to the same degree T-6 is.   From what I have read about it it seems to be very similar to T-6 in intent.

As much as you are going to stress that engine, I think you need full oil pressure and full oil flow to ALL the very stressed internal parts and I would not try to split your oil flow/pressure up to get some dubious oil cooling benefit.   Let your PAO oil simply handle the heat, it can do it.

Just monitor your oil temperature and see what it does.

Congrats on the start of a very innovative build.

Cheesy     Boys, we gots us a new Frankenstein engine getting ready to roar up off the table.    

This will make 3 frankie bikes out there --- Lancer's Rex, Dave's Pretty Baby and Savagebob's Supercharged Scoot.

So far Dave's Pretty Baby is the only Frankie that has been "robust" and hasn't broken repeatedly.   Rex has been down over the years more than he has been up, but then again he was the very first one and a lot of learning had to take place with him.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 02/10/14 at 12:36:06

I don't want to deviate from the thread topic.. but I'm interesting in your info on clutches. But I'm a bit confused, you're saying:

"..and you can also pick up SV650 Barrett kevlar clutch pack on Ebay real cheap sometimes.   Doing it that way gets you two extra spare plates and steels ....."

"The SV 650 .. uses the same part numbers for fiber and steel plates as the Savage, but has 2 more steels and 2 more fibers -- too long to fit under our cover)"

So you're saying you like to put 2 extra plates and steels into your stock clutch to increase it's performance. And you're also saying the SV650 uses the same components but they have 2 extra plates and steels but it doesn't fit.  Undecided Sorry I don't quite follow?

My clutch doesn't slip currently.. I was just going to get this running and deal with it if it becomes an issue. I've also read here about clutches and most positions (like yours) claim that clutch woes are simply fixed by pushrod changes? That said, the Barnett clutch looks like a good option.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 02/10/14 at 12:57:18

simple, the sv650 basket won't fit under the savage clutch cover.
the disc's will fit in the savage clutch basket.

WWW   IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 02/10/14 at 13:04:38

Ah! I see.

So which offers better performance?

Putting SV650 clutch components into the Savage basket or a Barnett clutch set like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnett-clutch-kit-LS-650P-Savage-1995-11-5-1-frictio...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 02/10/14 at 16:00:19

that's a good price

the parts are the same, you just can't use all the discs

kevlar is better than stock.

WWW   IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 02/10/14 at 16:30:04

so you can run +2 extra OEM plates but with the Barnett you can't squeeze any extras in there? I thought I recall reading about someone who dremelled out some extra space in the cover to put +1 extra plate in.

Also, what the story with the weak actuator lobe?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 02/10/14 at 17:20:58

"The SV 650 makes 74 hp and uses the same part numbers for fiber and steel plates as the Savage, but has 2 more steels and 2 more fibers in the same design basket (basket has longer ears though -- too long to fit under our cover)"

Clear as mud, huh?

All the steel and fiber plates from everybody are identical.   Barrett same as Suzuki same as SV650 -- no difference dimensionally.  

Kevlar friction plates have a different friction material.  The standard stock friction plates for the SV650 and the Savage is the exact same Suzuki part number using cork friction material.

A clutch pack for SV650 has 7 plates, a clutch pack for the Savage has 5 plates

You can't put the extra 2 plates FROM ANYBODY in a Savage basket (no room)

Kevlar plates are better material friction-wise and the Barrett clutch springs are stronger.   EMCO springs gave Dave some issues at first and required a resend from EMCO with corrected springs (ask him for the details as to how well they work).

Well, I stirred the mud up some for you, is it any clearer ????

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 02/10/14 at 17:56:51

Ok, I've ordered a Barnett kit. If there is anything better or additional I can do than this let me know.

We will see if it's going to hold  Cheesy I'm a bit worried about the actuator lobe breaking though..

I feel like we should be talking about clutches somewhere else than the oil-cooler thread. I'm disappointed that the oil-cooler mod is basically a no-go.

Someone ought to put a caveat at the start of this thread before others go and buy SV650 oil coolers.

I'm not going to risk the oil-cooler mod now as you suggest. Although, has anyone actually tested this or is it just theorising that a parallel pathway setup will starve the head? The factory oil currently flows to that port, through the bridge and back to the filter. I don't really understand why removing the bung and having it flow through a cooler and back again is doing to affect oil to the head? Oil is already flowing there?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 01:53:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Coooler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.