Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oil Coooler
Reply #15 - 07/28/09 at 11:47:21

seviersavage wrote on 07/28/09 at 07:08:25:
Verslagen,
Do you think the bottom bolt, return port can be unscrewed without taking the clutch cover off? I guess I can find out but thought you might know.
Sevier

The one I took off was sitting on the bench.  So Idk, frame in the way?

Also when serching for the banjo bolt, subaru TD04 keeps coming up as a hot word.  And one hit has some really nice over sized holes in it.

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #16 - 07/28/09 at 12:21:52

Yeah it looks like I might get less than 1/2 inch before frame gets in the way. I found banjo bolts locally but the hole was small. Didn't look like enough flow and also only one exit hole in the barrel so I put it on the drill press and have improved the flow rate quite a bit.
I guess if I have to take off the clutch cover I'll just finally install my verslavery.
Thanks Sevier

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 07/28/09 at 13:00:58

I'm going to go to Autozone and ask for it.
May need to get one for the water coolant line of a subaru TD04

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 08/06/09 at 21:22:53

I ordered a couple of these, just came in looks great.

large cross drilled hole, large center hole.  
Much better than banjo's made for brakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200315834581&vi...

I'm going have a sleeve made to press on it to center it in the 14mm banjo fittings.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 08/09/09 at 07:15:50

Just saw this on ebay...

Looks like the sv650 banjo bolts are special, and might fit the case of the LS650.  The straight ones looks like the ones that came with the sv1000 oil cooler.

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #20 - 08/09/09 at 07:50:10

Verslagen,
Hey thanks for the link to those banjo bolts, they look better than what I came up with. I ordered two. If you figure out a bushing to center them let me know, or if you have some made I'd sure pay you for a couple.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #21 - 01/14/14 at 04:41:41

"In my opinion, the cooler should be mounted low, even with the foot pegs.  This means that when shut off the oil level isn't going to change.  And air flow to the cylinder isn't blocked either. "

If I understand correctly, the danger is that with the oil cooler fitted too high up, the moment we kill the engine all the (hot) oil will drip down into the sump, overfilling it.
We would then restart the engine with an overfilled sump (very bad for case pressure) and we don't know if the oil would even make its way back into the cooler (which is too high up, hence full of air)

By fitting the oil cooler in line with or even lower than the oil sight window, the cooler would NOT empty into the sump, nor could the sump empty into the cooler... because it's already full !  Grin

Did I get this right ?  Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 01/14/14 at 07:13:36

Yes, you might have to add a tap to drain it during oil changes.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 01/15/14 at 10:13:10

I am not sure it is worth worrying about the oil draining back into the sump, as the amount of oil contained in a cooler for the Savage and the related plumbing is not going to be significant.  I bet you won't have more than an extra pint in the whole cooling system.  The only down side is that if the system does drain the oil out - until that oil is replaced......there is no oil flow to the cam. This should not be a problem as it will only take a few seconds for the refill, and the cam should have some oil in place from the last time it was run as long as you have not tipped the bike over on it's side and drained the oil out of the little recess beneath the cam lobes.  This oil drain back situation occurs whenever our engine sits a long time even without the cooler, and the oil will drain from the passages in the cylinder, engine case and head and the oil pump has to refill those passages on start up (unless there is a check valve somewhere that I don't know about).

You can get check valves for oil flow.  Triumph motorcycles have problems where the wet sump oil tank can drain completely down into the sump - so they install a check valve to prevent this from happening.  It would probably work fine in a cooler installation, as the Triumph passes all the oil through the valve by gravity when the engine is running, and the Triumph most likely pumps a lot more oil than the Savage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-drain-wet-sump-ball-check-valve-with-window-3-8-...  

It would allow you to mount the cooler wherever you want and you don't have to worry about anything flowing back down through the oil pump and into the sump.  You really don't need to worry about draining the cooler and lines during oil changes - the little bit of oil will not contaminate the new oil much.

You also need to mount the cooler so that the flow enters the cooler at the bottom, and pushes the air out the top as it is filled with oil.  If the oil enters the top - the air is not pushed out of the cooler and the oil will not flow properly, and the oil will just drip around the air bubbles and the cooler might restrict flow and it will not cool well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 01/15/14 at 11:16:43

To heck with a cooler, somebody engineer a spin on oil filter conversion for these bikes. That miserable excuse they ship with is a bad design. Can't even change the filter without coating the frame rail and possibly the exhaust pipe in goo... way to go there Slopoki... bravo... Like draining the sump on a 390FE and coating your truck's front suspension in used motor oil... dumb idea...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/15/14 at 11:23:23

WD wrote on 01/15/14 at 11:16:43:
Like draining the sump on a 390FE and coating your truck's front suspension in used motor oil... dumb idea...

I always hated the Ford truck oil filter over the right side of the K member.  There is no way to catch the oil in a pan.....as it drains into about 6 different streams off the frame!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 01/16/14 at 06:06:39

Ive seen some grand designs..like the 87 F150 radiator drain. I even put a hose on the thing, but, buy the time fluid is comin out the drain, its also comin out from around the T-handle & goin everywhere. I never understood a horizontal oil filter. Thats just dumb, for several reasons.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 01/16/14 at 06:10:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/16/14 at 06:06:39:
Ive seen some grand designs..like the 87 F150 radiator drain. I even put a hose on the thing, but, buy the time fluid is comin out the drain, its also comin out from around the T-handle & goin everywhere. I never understood a horizontal oil filter. Thats just dumb, for several reasons.

Yep.....You need to buy one of those little blue plastic swimming/wading pools that they make for kids......if you want to catch the anti-freeze coming out that drain and splashing all over the plastic shielding and frame.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #28 - 01/17/14 at 05:00:15

Dave wrote on 01/16/14 at 06:10:04:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/16/14 at 06:06:39:

Yep.....You need to buy one of those little blue plastic swimming/wading pools that they make for kids......if you want to catch the anti-freeze coming out that drain and splashing all over the plastic shielding and frame.

I just parked mine facing up hill, at an angle to the right, across a ditch, with a 2 1/2 gal bucket.
Course I was 17 and didn't mind gettin' dirty. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 01/17/14 at 08:13:23

Yea, thats a great plan, but all I wanted to do was lower the radiator coolant level enough to be able to add back some 100% antifreeze. I was getting ready for a cold snap & it was only good down to 20*. This spring Ill drain it all & put new in,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 01:28:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Coooler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.