YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Oil Coooler
07/16/09 at 17:51:40

Oil ports:  I really don't think there's much improvement in oil flow in tapping the filter pocket over using the suzuki given ports.  They all go to the same place.  There may be a difference, I don't think it's worth the effort.  Now if you've seen the oil flow diagram that Savage greg posted, I reposted, lancer reposted,  You'll see that the 2 threaded plugs can be pulled and oil will flow between them.  If you plug the path between them, you'll get full flow.  So there's 2 ports just waiting for a cooler.

Oil cooler:  Get yourself an SV650 oil cooler.  I just picked up a SV1000 oil cooler, with oil lines, with the banjo bolts.  I scored big time for $30.  So I thought, the banjo bolts are the right size to fit in those 2 forementioned ports, but have different thread pitch.  Aw chit!

So if any of you know of any oil cooler banjo bolts that match our ports, let me know.

My original though was to get a couple of adapters for those ports and run some oil line between them.  That's still an option, cheap and easy to do.

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: Oil Coooler
Reply #1 - 07/16/09 at 18:01:57

O.K. now,
1  how do you go about blocking the original path for full flow, and would you worry about oil taking too long to reach the top of the engine?
2 If you did it like Ed L and plumbed a return line in the side case but didn't block the original path for full flow how much oil flow and pressure are you splitting? 1/2 and 1/2 ? Is that a problem for engine longevity?
3 In your opinion is it better to use the two access ports suzuki provided?
Thanks Seviersavage

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/16/09 at 18:03:54

O.K. I reread your original post and see one of my questions was answered sorry, Got too excited. How do you block the passageway?
Sevier

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/16/09 at 18:04:05

when i installed my oil temp gauge i searched high and low and couldnt find banjos to fit(one line from front port to temp sender)was goin to  do the cooler thing..had a local machine shop fab me an adaptor $80..
not sure of the return port you are talkin about..others that have done this(cooler)mod drilled and tapped at the filter..i cant see a good return port where you wouldnt lose some up head lube pressure..

btw
after using the temp gauge for 2 summers realised cooler is not needed..up to 100f some summer days and oil temp never got to the HOT part of the gauge..nother goog point for (dont want to start another oil thread debate! Roll Eyes amsoil.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/16/09 at 19:26:53

This is the proposed connection ports.  And you can see the connecting port between them. You could counter bore this port and drop a plug in it that's trapped between the clutch cover and the case for full flow thru the cooler.  Unless you're in an extreme climate or doing the dragon relentlessly, full flow shouldn't be necessary.  Because of the direction change and the oil lines being a larger diameter, getting flow thru the cooler shouldn't be an issue.

It's not the only point here to provide additional cooling, but additional volume as well.  In my opinion, the cooler should be mounted low, even with the foot pegs.  This means that when shut off the oil level isn't going to change.  And air flow to the cylinder isn't blocked either.

« Last Edit: 08/01/11 at 18:32:13 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 07/16/09 at 20:17:24

This looks like it would work the same as my set up. When first putting my cooler together I didn't realize that there was a return port on the right side of the engine. I would of gone for it instead of drilling and taping the side cover. It is easy to plug the internal passageway for complete flow thru the cooler or have the flow split. I'm getting 3/4 of a liter per minute thru the cooler at 1500 rpm which gives lots of cooling. Finding the fittings might be a problem.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/17/09 at 00:37:52

next time I'm idlin' next to a sv650, cover me.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 07/17/09 at 06:28:59

verslagen1 wrote on 07/16/09 at 19:26:53:
verslagen.savageriders.com/images/Oil flow.jpg

This is the proposed connection ports.  And you can see the connecting port between them. You could counter bore this port and drop a plug in it that's trapped between the clutch cover and the case for full flow thru the cooler.  Unless you're in an extreme climate or doing the dragon relentlessly, full flow shouldn't be necessary.  Because of the direction change and the oil lines being a larger diameter, getting flow thru the cooler shouldn't be an issue.

It's not the only point here to provide additional cooling, but additional volume as well.  In my opinion, the cooler should be mounted low, even with the foot pegs.  This means that when shut off the oil level isn't going to change.  And air flow to the cylinder isn't blocked either.

ahh yes i remember this topic from awhile back

the bottom port would be the hard banjo to find, me thinks a brass elbow may fit if frame clearance is there..i checked our town limited hydralic/hose suppliers with no sucess..

adaracing.com has a billet oil cooler kit for mini mx bikes,thats what i got for thumperclone when she had the race engine in her was going to adapt to suzi but no luck on the fittings

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/17/09 at 11:35:41

I remember something this morn... someone said these 2 ports have different threads.   Grin  That means I need to check the other plug.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 07/17/09 at 19:29:26

If you want fittings that work and are sweet try

http://www.holley.com/division/Earls.asp  for the US or for better help go to the UK site below is the page for banjobolts.

http://www.earls.co.uk/earls/adapters/banjobolts.html

and then find the US equivalent.

I used them on my streetfighter and absolutely love them.  You can find some decent prices through some industrial based web distributors when buying them.

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/17/09 at 21:04:42

Verslagen,
Do you have a parts bike? a way to check those two bolts? If your right about the one being M14 x 1.25 I couldn't find a banjo bolt that size, everything I found was M14 x 1.5
Sevier

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/17/09 at 22:30:20

In the lists of banjo bolts offered, I'm finding it often.
I have a friend at work with several bikes that he races.  He'll have a look at what he has too.

The plugs are m12x1.25 and m14x1.25

The m12 is not hard to find, but the m14 is a b!tch.

I traced it down to a triumph part.
CAM FEED OIL PIPE BANJO BOLTS ... Triumph Daytona 900, Super III Motorcycle      ( 171001874539 )
check the description when you order.

« Last Edit: 10/07/13 at 20:27:50 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/23/09 at 09:33:28

Hey Verslagen,
I got a sv650 cooler on ebay and ordered the M12 x 1.25 banjo bolts.
All is here now and by swapping around the lines that came with the cooler I think It's going to fit with minimal trouble.
My question is the banjo bolts I ordered fit loosely into the oil cooler fitting. The barrel of the bolt is a little small, seems the barrel is long enough but not fat enough ,using the crush washers you think I'll have any trouble?
Sevier

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/23/09 at 16:41:57

I haven't order my banjo bolts yet, but that's exactly what I'm planning on.  Just center as best you can.  If need be, I can get a holy sleeve made.

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/28/09 at 07:08:25

Verslagen,
Do you think the bottom bolt, return port can be unscrewed without taking the clutch cover off? I guess I can find out but thought you might know.
Sevier

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 00:43:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Coooler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.