Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old Heads..HELP. Valve guide replacement (Read 67 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Old Heads..HELP. Valve guide replacement
07/14/09 at 01:00:36

I've got all the parts to (hopefully) fix this seemingly mysterious oil loss issue (It's gotten worse by the way). I was quite confident I'd have no trouble so long as I moved slowly and carefully. I've got guides, guide seals, and valve seals. Im seeing in the clymers (will refer to page if needed) that installation requires several special suzuki tools. How required are these tools? Tips/tricks? Im especially concerned about the "valve guide reamer". Have any long time members replaced these items?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Old Heads..HELP. Valve guide replacement
Reply #1 - 07/14/09 at 01:05:36

IMO, messing with such close tolerance items as valve guides requires exacting tools. I shadetree a lot of stuff, but thats a place I hand things over to a pro. If the valves feel sloppy in the guides, then yea, it needs help. I suspect my oil loss issue is more valve seal related than guides, at least I hope so.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 07/14/09 at 09:07:15

Unless you anticipate doing the same job again, maybe just weigh the cost of the tools vs. taking the head into a machine shop and have them install the guides for you.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/14/09 at 16:22:00

When I worked as an auto mechanic we were fully equipped to press out valve guides, ream if required, lap in valves, and so on.

We almost always sent the work out.

Ended up the only thing we did ourselves was porting and ccing the heads.  Everything else was so cheap at the machine shop there was no point in setting up to do it.  And if they screwed it up, they'd fix it.  If we screwed it up, they'd fix it but charge us.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:34:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Old Heads..HELP. Valve guide replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!