My Gas tank (Read 234 times)
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
My Gas tank
07/12/09 at 21:43:31

Alright I have been messing with this stupid gas tank for about 3-4 months now. I am finally getting to the end and I'm stuck and would like to hear a few of your guys opinions on a couple of things now.

So my tank when I got it looked like this:

Please forgive the cell phone pics.
I did not like that style of gas cap. So I got one that is like the Aviation style. So it look like this now.

I did have it painted at one point, but it bubbled so it all came back off. I was pretty pissed to say the least. This is what it looked like with the screws in.

Anyhow now the problem is I'm not sure what to do now. I've already put a lot lot of work into the tank, and now I don't want to half ass anything. I already had the outer ring powder coated because at first I was just going to screw it in to the tank and use some sealer under it. I'm not sure if that will mess up the paint under it and allow for something bad to happen.

My other plan is to take that ring to work and sand blast it and braze it onto the tank and fill in the screw holes and make it look semi original to the tank. There will be a liquid bladder on the inside to seal it all up and with the braze on the out side I don't think it will rust between the bottom of the ring and the tank.

I don't know if you understand any of this but if you do lol, what do you think would be the best way to go. I'm slightly leaning to the brazing it on.

« Last Edit: 07/13/09 at 02:05:05 by Savage_Amusement »  

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Re: My Gas tank
Reply #1 - 07/13/09 at 00:22:23

Which motorcycle comes your tank? Sporty?
I like a lot!  Wink

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/13/09 at 00:46:38

don't know a thing about metal work but i agree with VR. It looks absolutely killer. Sorry all I have to offer is questions. Sporty tank I assume. Stock or aftermarket? Gas capacity? Any mods of the tank/frame/mounting pints other than those already documented here? Really...it looks great especially with that aviation cap.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 07/13/09 at 00:51:00

Thanks it is a tank I got off ebay. Had to put the rear mounts on and a few other things. I moved where the petcock went so that I could get more fuel usage out of it. Also had to modify the part that goes down the middle on the underside so that it would sit on the bike the way I wanted it to. Also have to cut the stock mounts for the stock tank off. Get a petcock, it has been a lot of work.

Now I'm just having a hard time deciding what I want to do next.

I think it was for a sporty, it is a king tank. 3.25 gallon.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/13/09 at 01:09:51

Im going the rat look...mostly because Im lazy and dirty. Seems like much work for a .5 gal gain but if i were aiming for looks Id get on that. Again, good job.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #5 - 07/13/09 at 01:14:15

It wasn't at all about the fuel gain. I wanted a different look, and after my stock tank fell less than 6 inches and got totally destroyed it was WAY cheaper than getting a new one. It has only been 3-4 months because I haven't worked on it every single day or anything.

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 07/13/09 at 01:56:29

Tank looks badass!

Whad ya do with the speedo? I can see you replaced it with a smaller one. Any close ups?

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 07/13/09 at 02:02:00

I will take better pics after while with a real camera. I'm mostly just wanting to know what ppl think about mounting the gas cap ring right now. So don't worry there will be more as I get further along.

Basically what I'm wanting to know is do you think it will look better with the screws or if I fill in the holes and make it look like it came already as a part of the tank.

« Last Edit: 07/13/09 at 07:15:04 by Savage_Amusement »  

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #8 - 07/13/09 at 08:17:06

Keep the screws! A lot of newer pick-ups use that look. It's killer!

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 07/13/09 at 10:32:59

After showing it to the Wife and talking to a couple others I am going to braze it to the tank, but leave the screws because it will match the clutch and stator covers and break up the black nicely.

Thanks to those who have responded, I hope you will like the end result as well!

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 07/13/09 at 13:10:38

it looks sweet! i kinda liked it better without paint though....that's just me talking =]

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #11 - 07/13/09 at 13:25:46

There is currently no paint on it, and I semi-agree I also like it, but it just doesn't match anything else and getting a clear to look right is a PITA. As I'm sure you have noticed lol.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 07/13/09 at 15:10:05

i totally understand! and when they put "clear" on the side of the can, they should have put "fills in scratches and screws up the look Rocco wanted" lol!!!!!!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #13 - 07/14/09 at 13:13:05

Well if you get that kind of gas cap DO NOT try to braze or anything. It just melts. I'm so pissed off at this tank, you have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it has been for me from day one. I'm about ready to scrap it out and find something else.

So now I gotta order another gas cap set and wait for it to get here. I'm not that excited about that.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 07/14/09 at 13:34:03

Could you show me how much clearance to the upper triple at lock ... I am making custom triples and May have to find a tank even after that.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 17:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Gas tank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.