Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Oil Cooler
Reply #15 - 07/07/09 at 18:34:31

I suggest you adjust your jets first.

While tweaking the jets on my bike, I tried the Lean side but not as lean as the Factory.   Boy, the bike was noticeably hotter.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
pitbullcustoms

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/08/09 at 13:47:43

do I need a pump to pump the oil to the oil cooler?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 07/08/09 at 13:59:10

pitbullcustoms wrote on 07/08/09 at 13:47:43:
do I need a pump to pump the oil to the oil cooler?

No, there should be enough restriction in the stock oil path to cause the oil to flow thru the cooler.  In fact, I don't think you need to route the oil lines as shown.  There's an second oil port on the bottom of the engine to connect to.  The stock oil path has a restriction that will cause approx. 50% flow thru the cooler.  About right in my opinion.

WWW   IP Logged
pitbullcustoms

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/08/09 at 14:40:18

I see now just to find a oil cooler that doesnt look to big on the bike...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #19 - 07/08/09 at 16:20:50

Here's the one I am using before I shot it with black paint.
http://bikepics.com/pictures/654677/
I think it came off a GXS and adds about 3/4 of a quart of oil to the crank case. I made the fittings for the lines out of aluminum and had to drill and tap a return line in the side cover above the oil filter which was a little tricky. About half the flow goes thru the cooler once the engine gets hot, the other half uses the stock oil flow pathway. It is possible to block off the internal path and run completely on the cooler, I just didn't do it.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
pitbullcustoms

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/08/09 at 16:25:35

is it possible to run the oil cooler lines through the two oil ports on the bottom of the engine? im trying to get all the info possible before i buy the oil cooler in the next week...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #21 - 07/08/09 at 17:13:05

My setup runs a line from the front oil port thru the cooler and over to the oil filter cavity. I was thinking about returning the oil to the crankcase thru the drain plug but realized that by doing that I would just be pumping oil back into the crankcase instead of up to the engine where it is needed which is no good. I was concerned about oil starvation on the top end at startup which is why I split the flow with half still using the internal pathways. I couldn't find any easy hookup for a return line off the cooler which is why I drilled and tapped the side cover above the oil filter.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
pitbullcustoms

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/08/09 at 18:55:26

AHHHH it all makes sence now lol

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #23 - 07/08/09 at 19:53:12

Are you sure that the oil needs to be cooled?  You can search for the posting where a thermometer was installed into the oil fill port to actually measure the oil temperature.

Engine oil temperature of 180° to 220° is "normally warm."  When the oil gets up to 240° or higher is of concern.  Even at 200° to 220°, the first thing I'd do would be up upgrade to 20W-50 motorcycle oil.  Even better would be xW-50 synthetic oil.

As said above, both the engine and the oil cooler need air flow.  Why not install a 12v fan activated by a Klixon type thermostatic switch in the head.  It could just blow over the head when it reached a high temperature, or if you really want a project, blow over the oil cooler when it exceeded 220°...providing you can route the oil through the cooler so it does not rob any oil from the engine.

IP Logged
pitbullcustoms

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/09/09 at 03:39:06

yes i have upgraded the oil to a oil that is formulated for air cooled engine 20w50 synthetic from mobile one it seems to be running cooler no but i figured it wouldnt hurt to put an oil cooler on.... the cooler the engine runs the healthier it is for the engine and will extend the life of the engine...

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #25 - 07/09/09 at 07:32:33

pitbullcustoms wrote on 07/09/09 at 03:39:06:
the cooler the engine runs the healthier it is for the engine and will extend the life of the engine...

Not exactly.

The oil needs to be "normally warm"  so the flow of oil is what the engine designers intended.  Normally warm engine oil is above 180°.  Permacool sells a thermostatic valve to install with their oil coolers that begins to send oil through the cooler at that temperature.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:47:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Cooler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.