Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting aluminum engine parts (Read 86 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Painting aluminum engine parts
07/09/09 at 09:10:56

I have corrosion on the covers either side of the engine.  All that shiny aluminum stuff.  The bike is black frame, black tank.  I was thinking going gloss black high temperature paint on those covers might be really nice looking.  Anyone done this?  I'd be sure to chip the paint eventually, but that looks nice, too.

In the alternative, I could polish out the corrosion.  Best system?

Or put up with it.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Painting aluminum engine parts
Reply #1 - 07/09/09 at 09:32:13

There's a clear coat you'll need to strip off if you want to repolish.
Aircraft stripper works great.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 07/09/09 at 10:39:00

Yoda approved "cheap and good" aluminum case polishing  (not!)

When recovering an old bike with crudded up polished aluminum cases, Yoda taught me to sand the covers with 320 grit wet or dry paper (wet) until I have removed all surface irregularities on the remaining clear coat and blended the edges of the clear coat to the now roughed up aluminum.  It is not necessary to sand off all the clear coat, just remove the oxidized outer part and blend in the rest of the edges where the clear coat chipped away.

I then go to the car wheel detailing area and buy a big can of silver metal flake wheel paint.  HINT: take a cover with you to help you decide on which of the 10 shades of silver metallic you are going to use.

Using masking tape, tape off the cover from everything else and shoot it in several light coats, building up to a finish coat that is deep and lustrous.

You don't have to take the bike apart if you pick the right tone of silver to match the weathered uncoated barrel and case castings, and yes, you can paint right over the screw heads if you spray them clean with carb cleaner.  

Here is a set of side covers done this way that has over a year of use on it now.   Obviously, you can do a better job if you take everything apart, but a perfectly acceptable job can be done with the bike fully assembled.  Note that I masked the pipes and painted around them, so that too isn't an insurmountable obstacle.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/09/09 at 11:17:45

Fabulous!!!!   That is precisely the kind of information that I need.  I can do this!!!!   I've even shot wheels before. Don't know why I didn't think of it!

That actually explains the corrosion.  The clear over aluminum always seems to do that.  Anodization makes so much more sense.  

I was thinking black because the adjacent case is black.  But silver will do better.  It's a utility bike anyway, but I want it to look nice.

« Last Edit: 07/09/09 at 13:23:57 by voldigicam »  

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:36:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Painting aluminum engine parts