Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
where to find stainless steel bolt set (Read 152 times)
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
where to find stainless steel bolt set
07/06/09 at 10:26:36

I have searched here and on EBay and can't find info, which I know I've seen, about a complete bolt set to replace the sorry a$$ed cheap bolts on a Savage engine.  It seems that every time I tear it down, a bolt breaks or bolt threads strip or a bolt head strips.  This time it was two bolts on the cam assembly cover and one of the header-to-cylinder flange attachment bolts.  So now I'm not only pi$$ed about the bolts breaking, I'm also pi$$ed about the Search function here not working like it should  Angry  !!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I feel better now.  Can anyone help me find the bolt set so I can order one?  Thanks in advance.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: where to find stainless steel bolt set
Reply #1 - 07/06/09 at 11:19:42

pardon me for not giving you a link.

search ebay, stainless steel bolt set ls650 or s40

The sellers name is something like stainlesssteelscrews

$35 for a complete set, only thing it don't include is carb set.

WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 07/06/09 at 11:31:49

This is clearly homework that needs to be done, and a possible money maker.  One of these days when I'm not up to my eyeballs in projects I'll start a thread on "What fasteners suck worst?" with subcategories like "apparently made of cheap Chinese pot-metal" and "PITA to remove and would be better if they were hex or allen head."

With that information one could make a list of the most-desired fasteners, place a bulk quantity order at McMaster-Carr, assemble kits, and sell them.  

So far I've only delved into the carb screws and decided allen heads would be better. What I know about the cylinder head bolts, valve hatch bolts and other sub-par fasteners is all hearsay.  But I bet I'll have a good sense of the good bad and ugly once I go in to torque the head bolts..

EDIT: but then if some dude on Ebay already did it...  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 07/06/09 at 11:42:03

YESSS!! Ebay link

verslagen1 rocks

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/06/09 at 11:51:00

The stock engine case bolts have a section of them between the threads and the head which is a little thinner than the threads.
They also have wider bases, larger diameter bases than the allen bolts. Both of these combine to give you a better bolt than the straight on allens which definetly are smaller heads. The stock bolts are designed to break than strip the threads when you over torque them. They also are going to have lower seat pressure with the same torque than the smaller allens.
I would definetly replace the phillips ones with allens though - for sure.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 07/06/09 at 12:57:19

y don't u just paint em black? lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 07/06/09 at 13:14:23

The soft screws and bolts that come on jap motorcycles are soft so they don't vibrate lose.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 07/06/09 at 13:58:02

Boule’tard wrote on 07/06/09 at 11:42:03:
YESSS!! Ebay link

verslagen1 rocks

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks Boule'Tard and Verslagen!!!!!!!!!!!!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 07/06/09 at 14:09:53

On some applications on the bike, you shouldn't use stainless steel bolts, as there is a certain bolt strength required. You shouldn't replace bolts with for example 10.8 or worse 12.9 rating, as SS bolts don't even get close to that. Stainless steel is a somewhat tough but not hard material, and is not suitable for cylinder heads and such. I have worked with this stuff for years. You tighten one down and it seems to stretch like rubber. Therefore use it only where strength is secondary. I have lots of SS bolts on my bike, but nowhere safety related.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #9 - 07/06/09 at 14:11:04

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/06/09 at 14:17:13

ralfyguy wrote on 07/06/09 at 14:09:53:
On some applications on the bike, you shouldn't use stainless steel bolts, as there is a certain bolt strength required. You shouldn't replace bolts with for example 10.8 or worse 12.9 rating, as SS bolts don't even get close to that. Stainless steel is a somewhat tough but not hard material, and is not suitable for cylinder heads and such. I have worked with this stuff for years. You tighten one down and it seems to stretch like rubber. Therefore use it only where strength is secondary. I have lots of SS bolts on my bike, but nowhere safety related.

Absolutely right!  Do not use stainless for head bolts for anything requiring heavy torque.  They break easily.  I always use grade 8 for any serious applications.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 07/06/09 at 14:19:48

These aren't the head bolts, they are the head cover bolts.

And use either some oil or anti-sieze when installing to prevent corrosion.

WWW   IP Logged
Flemming from Denmark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/06/09 at 15:20:32

well! my english is'nt so good, so I found nothing with the search function. Can somebody please help me with a complete list of all the bolts, washers etc. needed for a complete change to stainless? I have access to a company with a complete, metric. stainless collection Smiley for free Wink The owner of the company ow's me a lot, and it's hard for me to use all that stainless steel Smiley

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #13 - 07/07/09 at 05:14:57

Arthur wrote on 07/06/09 at 14:17:13:
ralfyguy wrote on 07/06/09 at 14:09:53:

Absolutely right!  Do not use stainless for head bolts for anything requiring heavy torque.  They break easily.  I always use grade 8 for any serious applications.

Okay, so I shouldn't use SS on the main head bolts.  Seems like the head cover/cam assembly should be okay, though, right?  What about the clutch cover and generator cover?  Anybody had any experience with those, and what are your opinions?

As a side note, the one bolt I thought had broken when attaching the head cover/cam assembly to the head, I found out when I extracted it again it wasn't broken at all.  Upon closer examination, I saw that it had a heli-coil on it, so the internal threads must have been stripped.  Evidently the heli-coil is not longer effective, so I have to redo it.   Never used heli-coil before.  Does anyone have any advice on how to use it?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 07/07/09 at 07:45:10

Stainless I thought was harder than grade 8. 12.9 I thought was the metric equivalent of the SAE 8.

I dunno, I stay with stock for all engine bolts, I think they have a necked design which is better IMHO.
All the body bits get SS ... in fact the side cover bolts and the air box screws etc, definite allen button head SS.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:35:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › where to find stainless steel bolt set

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.