Send Topic Print
New petcock questions (Read 257 times)
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New petcock questions
05/30/09 at 14:53:54

So I just got my raptor petcock in the mail today but it's missing the nipple.  Can I just buy the nipple at Autozone or can I just remove it from the old petcock?  I'm also going to take the carb off and try the white spacer mod but only want to try half.  What were the sizes of the washers, I think I read #2 but is that all the info I need for them?    I know the mod is for backfiring while riding but will it also cure a backfire at shutdown?  The backfires while riding don't bother me but the one on shutdown is embarassing.
Thanks
Joshua

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: New petcock questions
Reply #1 - 05/30/09 at 15:43:48

Were did you get it from in the first place?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 05/30/09 at 17:49:50

Joshua wrote on 05/30/09 at 14:53:54:
So I just got my raptor petcock in the mail today but it's missing the nipple.  Can I just buy the nipple at Autozone or can I just remove it from the old petcock?  I'm also going to take the carb off and try the white spacer mod but only want to try half.  What were the sizes of the washers, I think I read #2 but is that all the info I need for them?    I know the mod is for backfiring while riding but will it also cure a backfire at shutdown?  The backfires while riding don't bother me but the one on shutdown is embarassing.
Thanks
Joshua

I just got done with the very same mod less than an hour ago! Cheesy  I didn't actually take the carb off, but must admit it would make it easier to access.  Although without a second set of hands, it does work better to have it in the bike when you're breaking the cover screws loose for the first time.  I had to use the old fashioned impact driver:  Whack the screwdriver with a hammer, while applying pressure to unscrew.  Otherwise they probably woulda just stripped the heads out. Sad
I used #3 washers, and they fit perfectly.  I don't know if #2 would be big enough to fit over the top of the needle rod, and I've read on here that #4's have to be filed down on the o.d. to fit into the opening.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth, and good luck wrenching! Cheesy

Edit: I used 3 washers, about 1/2 the white spacer, but as my exhaust is tore apart, I haven't had a chance to see how it worked.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/30/09 at 20:14:28

I got the petcock on ebay.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 05/30/09 at 21:26:52

Joshua wrote on 05/30/09 at 20:14:28:
I got the petcock on ebay.

Seller wasn't flightsimshop or kwikbay was it?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Joshua
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/30/09 at 22:03:13

No it was from f4istuntin.  Does that mean I'm out of luck about the nipple?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/30/09 at 22:29:28

unless it was denoted as missing in the listing, I think you have a case of him selling a defective part.

reread the listing very carefully to see if you missed it or it was in fine print.

send an email to him and complain.  try to resolve the issue between you two.

do not give him feedback untill you're satisfied.

If not give a neg feedback, sometimes that will wake them up.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/30/09 at 22:40:52

I havent found a #4 washer in my area that will work although some do. Odd, isnt it, that with a standardized sizing some will and some wont work depedning on manufacturer( i geuss)? Ive got a couple dollars worth of tiny little washers i have absolutely no use for now. Get 4 #3s and 4 #4s. If neither a 3 or 4 will work just ask lancer. The washers that come with his jet set are perfect but alas, i lost mine while rejetting in my frineds driveway at a party. Likely someone just saw the small baggy of jets and washers and assumed in the darkness that the contents were green. Id rather their supposed assumption to have been right. Either way Im out $20 and in this case Im still running rich  Angry

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 07/01/09 at 21:29:03

Joshua wrote on 05/30/09 at 14:53:54:
Thanks
Joshua

Josh,

I'll bet you've got the wrong part number.

What you need is Yamaha P/N: 5LP-24500-01-00

I ordered one from a local dealer over the phone.  They messed up the part number and when I went to pick it up, I was dismayed to find it did not have a lever (nipple) on it.  It just had a square stud sticking out that you could turn using a 7mm open-end wrench.

They had given me a petcock with Yamaha P/N: 5KM-24500-01-00 (emphasis added by me).

I wonder if this is the petcock they sent you?  As you can see, the part numbers are very similar.

I hope you got it cleared up!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/01/09 at 22:30:49

Wow!...  This is the most confused bunch of posts....
Digger has it....

This is the Raptor part no.  5LP-24500-01-00
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660 YFM660R
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?SearchString=5LP-24500-01-00&adv=5&kw...

#4 teflon washer from Ace hardware is exactly 2/3 thickness of the stock spacer and will fit perfect.  It comes in white or black.  It is just what you want.  One and only one.  It will measure .066",... stock is .1"...

Nipple?... What nipple?... The Raptor petcock is a direct bolt on replacement.... The only thing that you have to do is block off the vacuum port on the carb.

Hope this clears something up, 'cause I'm not sure what you guys are talking about,... but I've installed three of these.... on three different Savages...
Sorry if you were steared  wrong before,... but this is tried and tested....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 07/02/09 at 03:12:35

Though my LS is an '05 and I am not having any trouble with the stock OEM petc0ck, I am tempted to order one of the Raptor c0cks from local Yami Dealership and try it out ...
Thanks for posting part #!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #11 - 07/02/09 at 03:22:59

Serowbot,
Thats what I was thinkin, What nipple?
Seviersavage

IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/02/09 at 12:38:58

I just ordered the Raptor for myself. However I'm concerned with using a screw to block the vac tube on the carb. I really don't want to damage it just in case . .  But I also understand a rubber plug wouldn't be as tight and could deteriorate. Anyone have any other ideas?
 Although I suppose nothing goes INTO the vac port on the carb since the tube fits around the outside?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/02/09 at 14:28:55

I have a Folger can full of screws,... If you hunt around for just the right size, it will thread in snug and not cause any damage to the outside...
Other than that, a piece of fuel line with a golf tee stuck in the end will work, and add some funky to the look...
Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #14 - 07/02/09 at 18:11:09

They make plugs that are meant for vac and gas lines. They are SUPER tight yet don't stretch and crack that much at all. Then if your worried about air leak you can glue it on.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:30:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New petcock questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.