Send Topic Print
shifter rod broke ?!?! (Read 315 times)
DasTeknoViking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

shifter rod broke ?!?!
07/05/09 at 07:09:41

Hello, well like the title says... shifter rod broke yesterday in a really bad part of downtown Chicago right after we rode 2 up to watch the fireworks. I parked the bike in a overnight parking garage and I am abot to go drive 50 or so miles now to get it.

How come it broke ? Its split right down the middle of the rod in half. The front piece is still attached to the selector, and the rear piece is hooked up to the selector on the trans. I am thinking of removing the shifter off my Honda RC51 just so I can ride it home vs towing it.

How do I prevent this from happening again ? Trans on this bike shifts ok, but it doesn't feel as smooth as a Honda. 5th gear in particular doesn't even feel like it "clicks" in ever, it just engages without much feel to it while selecting it. Few times it popped out on me into neutral when goin from 4-5th.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: shifter rod broke ?!?!
Reply #1 - 07/05/09 at 07:33:18

Happened 2 times on my savages.
The front is left thread if I remember. I also have had it break on a bike that wasn't left thread. So dont recall which way the saveg it. But yes it can break.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/05/09 at 08:56:52

You could have it welded. You could even have it reinforced. You sure it wasnt bent?

If I had a bike stranded w/ a busted shifter, what would I take with me?
I would like a split, hollowed out wooden dowel, some epoxy, a couple of small hose clamps. Id get it home. Shouldnt take more than 15 minutes to patch it & let the epoxy cure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #3 - 07/05/09 at 11:28:56

Yup, they break allright.

Mine was exactly as justin says "welded and reenforced"
with a 2nd, parallel rod; now is fixed x ever  Cheesy  

Good luck

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/05/09 at 12:08:05

I have never owned a bike in which the shift linkage "broke"...come loose, yes, stripped, yes...but Broke???

Is this an issue I need to be thinking about?

Thanks for the input guys.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/05/09 at 12:13:30

Not necessarily, give it a look & make sure its straight, grab it & see if it flexes too easy, dont stomp it into gear..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 07/05/09 at 13:33:48

I think people must be banging on them,I've had a lot a motorcycles over the years and never had one break or come lose.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 07/05/09 at 16:46:25

Yeah they are made out of some pretty crappy metal and break when stomped on. Get an extra to carry in your bag just in case.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #8 - 07/06/09 at 10:35:59

I've had one to bend and break.  It bent first, probably from some rough riding (by me).  I didn't know it was bent, so when it later broke, I took it and had it welded back together as a U-shaped rod.  Only later when I was looking at a parts microfiche did I notice that it was supposed to be straight.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
DasTeknoViking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/06/09 at 21:05:36

I ordered up 2 rods today.... my friend works @ a machine shop and will make me one out of titanium just incase. We where pretty lucky, I send my RC51 seat out to Spencer's in FL for customization (highly recommended) and it didn't get back to me in time for our 400 mile ride out for 4th of July. If we went out that weekend, the bike would have broken down somewhere else faaar from our house. Since we are planing a few milti-hundred miles this summer, I need the bike to be reliable and able to run 80MPH all day long on the intestate.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #10 - 07/06/09 at 23:45:51

Why do you need it to run 80mph when the interstate speed limit is 70-75?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
DasTeknoViking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/07/09 at 16:04:26

Most states are just fine with 5 over the limit, which brings you up to 80MPH. On top of that, my bike doesn't like it slow. She doesn't want a sport bike, if that was the case she would be on a Interceptor. Honda signs my paychecks, I'm partial to the company.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 07/07/09 at 20:31:37

The S40/Savage, in stock form, tops out in the area of 85 mph. If you really want to run 80+ mph, it isn't the bike for you. Yes, it can be modified to run faster. Generally speaking such modifications will reduce reliability and/or longevity. I think you would be a long way ahead to just find a faster bike. Others will, of course, disagree. I would point out (although you say Honda writes your paycheck and sportbikes aren't your thing) that the Kawasaki 250 Ninja is cheaper, faster, and burns less fuel. And its engine is smoother, too.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
DasTeknoViking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/08/09 at 17:17:03

Oh don't get me wrong, I like the Savage... its light and really simple design. But I am partial V twins, and I am into sport bikes- shes not.

I almost got her a Ninja 250, but 5K OTD price was pathetic for such POS. For that kinda price I can think of ALOT of diff bikes that are much better to ride. MPG isn't a concern for us, my RC51 gets 30-35MPG when I ride solo and 40 if I ride with her following me at slowish pace.

I believe the shifter rod will be in tomorrow, gonna order up a diff carb, cam and do all the tricks to it. My girl picked out the S40 at a dealer out of a sea of all kinds of Ducati, Triumph, Hondas, Suzukis and Yamahas. I got it for her because she loves it, and I respect that. I have ridden it quite a few times myself, but I find it uncomfortable as its too small for me. I guess I might be resposible for the shifter rod damage, I did give it quite the workout the day before on the way to and from work.

IP Logged
Topher
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks! Well, of
course.

Durham, NC
Reply #14 - 07/08/09 at 17:29:33

Too funny for me. Earlier today I posted how my shifter rod broke right after I finished fixing my bigger problem. When it rains...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:33:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifter rod broke ?!?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.