Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
shifter rod broke ?!?! (Read 315 times)
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Re: shifter rod broke ?!?!
Reply #15 - 07/08/09 at 19:40:48

CRAP! figures, i read this too late! im 35 miles west of Chicago and would have helped you out.....i have a slew of extra parts laying around!!

IP Logged
DasTeknoViking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/13/09 at 18:18:20

new shifter rod is in, and now I got a new problem.... gear engagement. From my personal experience with chain driven bikes, it seems like my belt might need adjustment ? I have checked the belt and I can turn it 90 deg and no more, I don't know if I want to mess around with it and make it worse ?

At times 1st gear is impossible to select, feel like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. When selecting all the gears, 5th feels almost impossible to detect that it went in. At times I've had it not "click in" and trans goes into neutral and then pops into gear.

Been searching the forums all over the place to find some kinda answer. Problem seems to come and go, it sometimes doesn't show its ugly face for 10-15 min into the ride, and then it won't let you shift into 1st 3 times out of 10. Could it be I'm using the wrong oil ? I just changed it 200 miles ago, Spectro 10w40 non synthetic stuff.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 07/13/09 at 18:35:21

Try moving the shift arm, the one in the back one way or the other.

Had this problem and relocating the shift arm fixed it.

I think you don't have the shift arm centered and when that happens you can't shift all the way up or down.  depending on which way you got it biased.

then adjust the location of the peg so you can get your toe under it by twisting the rod.

WWW   IP Logged
DasTeknoViking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/13/09 at 18:44:25

So what your saying is :
Remove the shift arm off the trans/spines ? and reposition it ? This trans shifter awesome for a few minutes after the new shifter rod, now it once again feels like nuts. Trans shift quality is just rubbish. I rode it to work and got under the bike in the shop to inspect the rod and it all looks good. The old one broke right in half.

I bought a spare rod from Suzuki, and a friend of mine says he can make me one @ work on a lathe or something

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #19 - 07/13/09 at 19:02:51

If the bike is still shifting hard check the clutch adjustment. You need a little free movement in the clutch handle before you take up the slack. If it is too loose or too tight you can have shifting problems. Don't forget to check you oil level, if it gets low the gears won't shift as easy.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 07/13/09 at 19:41:21

On the brake Suzuki welded on another piece of metal I wonder why they didn't on the shift lever,If a person want to they could put some JB weld on the back side of the shift lever it should make it stronger.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
DasTeknoViking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/13/09 at 20:52:56

Ed L. wrote on 07/13/09 at 19:02:51:
If the bike is still shifting hard check the clutch adjustment. You need a little free movement in the clutch handle before you take up the slack. If it is too loose or too tight you can have shifting problems. Don't forget to check you oil level, if it gets low the gears won't shift as easy.

I have a oil leak out of the dreaded cap.... I need to yank the head off and reseal it. I do not know how old the oil was in the engine before I changed it nor do I know what kind it was.... I bought this bike a month ago and put 800 miles on it. I changed it and the filter, I have to add about 1/4 of oil every 250 miles it seems like. To add the bike has 5600 miles on it now and its a 97.

I actually carry around 2 12mm wrenches when she and I go riding. If the clutch gets out of wack I tell her to pull over and I adjust it on the fly. Right now it releases really high but it does not slip, I figure that if it releases high, it will FULLY disengage the clutch if I press on the lever all the way.

I'm gonna try Rotella T oil in the engine to see if that Spectro I used has any side effects. My Kawasaki for instance did NOT like one brand of oil I used on it and when I went with Amsoil the trans shifted nice. I been using Repsol 4T Racing oil in my RC51 along with Motul, Amsoil, HondaLube. She doesn't really care what oil I use as long as its synthetic, 20K miles and I haven't had a single issue and the bike gets abused.

I don't have the time to wrench on it when its mid 70s in the midwest right now, and I try to get on 2 wheels as much as I can. Its my fiancees bike and she gets worried about all kinds of noises, oil leaks etc.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 07/13/09 at 22:18:33

All the gears on this bike are cut straight.
Shifting smoothly is a learned art.
apply force in the direction you want to go, release the clutch and it should pop into the next gear effortlessly.  You can even forgo the clutch and blip the throttle.  Going up from second can be real smooth.  Haven't mastered going down yet.

WWW   IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Reply #23 - 07/13/09 at 23:47:24

My shift rod broke shortly after I bought my bike. Found out the previous owner (all 76 miles of ownership) had run it up on a curb on the left side and bent the shift rod. Evidenced by the curb rash I had not noticed underneath the shifter mount. I had just pulled into work when it broke, 26 miles across town from home. I just put it into 3rd gear. Suzi' has enough torque to pull in 3rd gear from a stop even on a hill if you are gentle with the clutch. Even with my 326 lbs back then!! Ran 3rd gear all the way home on the back roads. New shift rod was about $5.00 13,000 miles ago. No problems since!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
DasTeknoViking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/14/09 at 16:52:09

verslagen1 wrote on 07/13/09 at 22:18:33:
All the gears on this bike are cut straight.
Shifting smoothly is a learned art.
apply force in the direction you want to go, release the clutch and it should pop into the next gear effortlessly.  You can even forgo the clutch and blip the throttle.  Going up from second can be real smooth.  Haven't mastered going down yet.

I actually use the clutch on both up and downshifts on the Savage, I'm used to riding my sport bike and I do clutch less up and downshifts. I am afraid to break the trans. To me it feels fragile as hell, my problem is getting it into 1st is a huge issue.

Gonna toy around with it sometime later today or tomorrow. Gonna try that Rotella T stuff in the engine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 07/14/09 at 17:47:25

1st to second, up or down, kinda tuiff clutchless, but I do the rest of it clutcholess anytime I want, Easy,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:27:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifter rod broke ?!?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.