Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Battery terminal question (Read 190 times)
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Battery terminal question
Reply #15 - 07/04/09 at 10:30:01

Agree with PTRider..   a continuing problem means the acid is getting out when it should stay in.  

But first,  Auto-Zone sells a little spray can of battery terminal protector.  Sprays out red.  Works great.

What causes the acid to come out?.....

well, on a OEM battery, 1)  being over filled.   2) being mounted tilted .  3) cracked case.  4) And worse case, being continually overcharged.

On Sealed batteries,  a cracked case and over charging.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #16 - 07/04/09 at 12:02:39

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/03/09 at 15:38:43:
prechermike wrote on 07/03/09 at 15:35:44:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/03/09 at 14:31:41:
prechermike wrote on 07/03/09 at 14:29:34:
Well, here we go with the someone told me . . .

If you put grease on there, that does OK until things get hot (like in the summer time) then it runs and melts off.  It is also very greasy, it is after all, grease.

They told me to shoot it with spray paint.  It goes one as a liquid, gets into all the nooks and crannies and then dries hard to seal it.

I had a friend that worked on electric fork lifts and they had some official batter terminal protector that he gave me.  Spray it on and it foams up, then settles down to a hard, plasticy finish.  I have no idea what it is other than Raymond (the folk lift co.) battery terminal protector.  That works about as good as anything.  But I have had OK success with the grease and paint as well.

Yonuh, ride over and I will give you a spray! Wink

North Carolina is a bit far for me at the moment.  Wink Wink

But you can't say I didn't offer! Cheesy

Of course I can, it would just be a lie though. LOL But thanks for the offer though I do appreciate it.

How about I spray some in an envelope and send it to you! Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #17 - 07/04/09 at 12:48:04

prechermike wrote on 07/04/09 at 12:02:39:

If you put grease on there, that does OK until things get hot (like in the summer time) then it runs and melts off.  It is also very greasy, it is after all, grease.

They told me to shoot it with spray paint.  It goes one as a liquid, gets into all the nooks and crannies and then dries hard to seal it.

I had a friend that worked on electric fork lifts and they had some official batter terminal protector that he gave me.  Spray it on and it foams up, then settles down to a hard, plasticy finish.  I have no idea what it is other than Raymond (the folk lift co.) battery terminal protector.  That works about as good as anything.  But I have had OK success with the grease and paint as well.

Of course I can, it would just be a lie though. LOL But thanks for the offer though I do appreciate it.

It's too late anyway. I just tried to take my battery out and it is history. The positive terminal broke off while I was trying to disconect it. So a new battery is definitely needed now.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #18 - 07/04/09 at 15:06:09

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/04/09 at 12:48:04:
prechermike wrote on 07/04/09 at 12:02:39:

It's too late anyway. I just tried to take my battery out and it is history. The positive terminal broke off while I was trying to disconect it. So a new battery is definitely needed now.

Tha is probably the best thing anyway!   Cheesy  Now go ride and get off the computer! Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #19 - 07/04/09 at 15:19:25

prechermike wrote on 07/04/09 at 15:06:09:
That is probably the best thing anyway!   Cheesy  Now go ride and get off the computer! Wink

Can't ride without a battery, and I can't afford one yet. Maybe next week though.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/04/09 at 15:35:21

POS itive terminal broke off? Thats not too positive of an event. How did your battery come to such a sad end?
You gonna get a Big Crank? You oughta do something special for the wifes B Day ya know.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #21 - 07/04/09 at 16:32:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/04/09 at 15:35:21:
POS itive terminal broke off? Thats not too positive of an event. How did your battery come to such a sad end?
You gonna get a Big Crank? You oughta do something special for the wifes B Day ya know.

We already did something special for her b-day which was yesterday, I took her out to her favorite restaurant and went to the movies. We watched Transformers which was her choice. We had a great time.

I think my battery came to such an end because of the abuse I had put it through for the past three years. Draining it completely trying to fire it up after rebuild and such stuff. If I could afford a big crank, believe me, I would love to get one.

I am down a little longer than I thought though, went to check my front brake shoes (remember I have a mini drum front wheel) and my brake shoes are not just worn, they are literally broken. So I have to found where I can get them. I could order them from bitter end choppers from ebay, but would rather see if I can get them locally.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 07/04/09 at 20:54:29

What a Drag,, Hope you are rolling again, soon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #23 - 07/04/09 at 20:59:50

Me too.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #24 - 07/08/09 at 21:42:46

Old-school battery terminal grease:

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:53:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery terminal question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.