Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Battery terminal question (Read 190 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Battery terminal question
07/03/09 at 13:52:58

You know how they make those weird looking cloth type washers for car batteries to stop corrosion of the batt terminals?

Does anyone know if they make them for bike batts?

I have been having trouble with terminal corrosion, it actually gets so bad that it robs me of the ability to fire the sparkplug. But once I clean it off, the FireLizard works perfectly again until the corrosion builds up again.

Any ideas on how to stop or at least retard this occurrence?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Re: Battery terminal question
Reply #1 - 07/03/09 at 14:04:05

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/03/09 at 13:52:58:
You know how they make those weird looking cloth type washers for car batteries to stop corrosion of the batt terminals?

Does anyone know if they make them for bike batts?

I have been having trouble with terminal corrosion, it actually gets so bad that it robs me of the ability to fire the sparkplug. But once I clean it off, the FireLizard works perfectly again until the corrosion builds up again.

Add a bit of salt to the terminal lol Just kidding. Have you tried cleaning the battery connectors with a rust gel? I would think this would work and then just make sure to clean it off good. If it is still pissing rain tomorrow I may do some maintenance on the Savage. I will try this rust gel as well and let you know.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #2 - 07/03/09 at 14:10:43

A friend of mine actually suggested  melting a little bit of Vaseline and pouring it carefully over the terminals (after cleaning them up of course) then when it cools and solidifies it will have gotten into all the tight spaces providing a moisture barrier.  I have yet to try this however.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/03/09 at 14:20:20

I no longer use the washers, but instead use this electrical terminal protector.  My terminals never corrode after applying this product.  I've used the old homemade potions that others suggest, and the washers and sprays available at auto supply stores, and none of them worked like this.  Its expensive, but worth every penny and goes a long way.

http://stormcopperstore.com/no-ox-id-a.html?gclid=CJfFwICyiJsCFRkWswodfS--ow

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #4 - 07/03/09 at 14:29:00

Thanks Gort, I'll look into it. Much obliged.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/03/09 at 14:29:34

A less spendy approach would be to clean it up & wipe on some liquid electrical tape, available in a can at Harbor Freight. I dont use their brush, I use a wire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 07/03/09 at 14:29:34

Well, here we go with the someone told me . . .

If you put grease on there, that does OK until things get hot (like in the summer time) then it runs and melts off.  It is also very greasy, it is after all, grease.

They told me to shoot it with spray paint.  It goes one as a liquid, gets into all the nooks and crannies and then dries hard to seal it.

I had a friend that worked on electric fork lifts and they had some official batter terminal protector that he gave me.  Spray it on and it foams up, then settles down to a hard, plasticy finish.  I have no idea what it is other than Raymond (the folk lift co.) battery terminal protector.  That works about as good as anything.  But I have had OK success with the grease and paint as well.

Yonuh, ride over and I will give you a spray! Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #7 - 07/03/09 at 14:31:41

prechermike wrote on 07/03/09 at 14:29:34:

If you put grease on there, that does OK until things get hot (like in the summer time) then it runs and melts off.  It is also very greasy, it is after all, grease.

They told me to shoot it with spray paint.  It goes one as a liquid, gets into all the nooks and crannies and then dries hard to seal it.

I had a friend that worked on electric fork lifts and they had some official batter terminal protector that he gave me.  Spray it on and it foams up, then settles down to a hard, plasticy finish.  I have no idea what it is other than Raymond (the folk lift co.) battery terminal protector.  That works about as good as anything.  But I have had OK success with the grease and paint as well.

North Carolina is a bit far for me at the moment.  Wink Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/03/09 at 14:35:43

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #9 - 07/03/09 at 14:40:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/03/09 at 14:35:43:

Thanks Justin, I will peruse that later.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #10 - 07/03/09 at 14:45:46

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/03/09 at 14:40:17:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/03/09 at 14:35:43:

Thanks Justin, I will peruse that later.

Just looked at the catalog, where is the price list or do I have to call for pricing?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #11 - 07/03/09 at 15:35:44

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/03/09 at 14:31:41:

But you can't say I didn't offer! Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #12 - 07/03/09 at 15:38:43

prechermike wrote on 07/03/09 at 15:35:44:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/03/09 at 14:31:41:

But you can't say I didn't offer! Cheesy

Of course I can, it would just be a lie though. LOL But thanks for the offer though I do appreciate it.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/03/09 at 16:04:21

A clarification about grease melting.  Grease melts at the temperatures the manufacturers allow them to melt at.     For example, Mobil 1 grease melts at 356 degrees.  Every 'grease' product's melting point is different.

This electrical corrosion treatment 'grease' does not melt on my motorcycle's battery terminals, and I have ridden my bike through 105 degree desert, and once its on, nothing ever corrodes under it.

http://stormcopperstore.com/no-ox-id-a.html?gclid=CJfFwICyiJsCFRkWswodfS--ow

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #14 - 07/04/09 at 07:26:40

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/03/09 at 13:52:58:

Look very closely at your battery around the terminals.  If the seal around the terminal is cracked and allowing some acid to leak out, you're in the market for a new battery.  I know of no way to re-seal these points.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:53:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery terminal question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.