tank finished!! (Read 165 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
tank finished!!
06/30/09 at 12:46:08

i was going to do a logo on the top...but it's just so freaking pretty the way it is! lemmie know what u think, i'm going to clear coat it so it doesn't rust and slap her back on(as soon as i get the new flasher relay to fit)

and yes i know about the dent, it happened when i layed her down...call it a "reminder" not to be stupid!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Re: tank finished!!
Reply #1 - 06/30/09 at 12:53:22

I used some Blue Magic on my Honda CB as a final polish and it did wonders. In the sun, though, the reflection would come up under my glasses. Eventually painted it. Sad

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #2 - 06/30/09 at 12:54:22

yeah i was thinking about the glare, but i ride mostly @ night, and i wear a full face so if it's that bad then i'll slap a logo on there!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
seb481
YaBB Newbies

San Diego
Reply #3 - 06/30/09 at 13:15:15

I think it looks pretty sick like this! I really like it  Smiley

Suzuki LS650 2002
30,000 miles

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/SebastienPage
WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 06/30/09 at 13:18:17

It does look pretty cool, but like sakara mentioned, be careful of the glare.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 06/30/09 at 18:39:23

thank u sir! and i will! i went with a not too glossy clear coat so maybe that would help!

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/01/09 at 06:37:08

Rocco wrote on 06/30/09 at 18:39:23:
thank u sir! and i will! i went with a not too glossy clear coat so maybe that would help!

Will the clear coat stick to the bare metal?
I couldnt get the darn prime off those ridges under tank. There were some dimple with primer so I just left it lol. Have you considered primer then a paint that gives the gun metal grey/brushed metal look?

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 07/01/09 at 08:22:55

odvelasc wrote on 07/01/09 at 06:37:08:

I couldnt get the darn prime off those ridges under tank. There were some dimple with primer so I just left it lol. Have you considered primer then a paint that gives the gun metal grey/brushed metal look?

well last night we sprayed the tank with the "clear" lacquer and it came out kind of grey...no swirls or anything so i figured it just needed to dry. an hour later it looked the same, like i had painted it grey and didn't prep properly lol so we took that off and went and bought a different kind of clear.

it kind of filled in the scratches as well, i guess cuz they are so fine and they're not embedded in there. but a little wax made the swirls come through.

i def don't want to paint the tank flat black, that's just way too plain. so i was looking into gun metal, and even rust lol i'm going to leave it for now and just get back on because i'm twitching!

i have a feeling she is going to become a firelizard and be made better a couple of times! Grin

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 07/01/09 at 10:02:00

That looks awesome. I wonder if you could jewel the surface somehow then clearcoat.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/01/09 at 10:42:00

Rocco wrote on 07/01/09 at 08:22:55:
odvelasc wrote on 07/01/09 at 06:37:08:

well last night we sprayed the tank with the "clear" lacquer and it came out kind of grey...no swirls or anything so i figured it just needed to dry. an hour later it looked the same, like i had painted it grey and didn't prep properly lol so we took that off and went and bought a different kind of clear.

it kind of filled in the scratches as well, i guess cuz they are so fine and they're not embedded in there. but a little wax made the swirls come through.

i def don't want to paint the tank flat black, that's just way too plain. so i was looking into gun metal, and even rust lol i'm going to leave it for now and just get back on because i'm twitching!

i have a feeling she is going to become a firelizard and be made better a couple of times! Grin

Maybe use a 200 grit sandpaper to scratch ut up. Also, rattle can clear tends to make your surface look matte (not shiny) kinda how you described your tank after clear coat. You really must use a 2 part clear coat that holds up against spilt gas and must use an paint gun with an air compressor for best results. Go to an auto paint shop. They can rattle can the clear coat you need if you really want it.
Oh and take a mallet and ding a dent on the right side of the tank. That way it will look symmetrical. I am still in love with the bar tank look. I would do it but I bondo'd a massive dent in mine lol

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 07/01/09 at 12:38:43

u know i just might do that! i just put her back 2gether and got a little gas on her, u can see it but that's the beauty of a rat bike!

i'm def not done with the tank, this was kind of a test lol

and i'm glad u like it! it's always nice to hear your efforts pay off...even just a little!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:14:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tank finished!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.