Send Topic Print
Adjusting Pilot (Read 150 times)
Genjuro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Adjusting Pilot
06/12/09 at 17:49:49

I am trying to adjust a carb that has a stage 1 dynojet kit installed in it. I have a Jardine Muffler and the carb is set up as decribed in the instructions from the dynojet kit.

Now I can't seem to be able to find that sweet spot that Lancer describes in his carb tunning advice. I don't get any changes in RPMs when I adjust the Pilot screw (in both directions).

Any advice on how to proceed....I am getting alot of backfires when i let off the gas and a load bang at shut off.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Adjusting Pilot
Reply #1 - 06/12/09 at 18:25:19

Can you make the motor die or just about die when you screw the pilot jet all the way in?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/12/09 at 22:20:18

& screwing it in & hitting the kill doesnt count.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/12/09 at 22:45:40

after you warm the bike up turn down the idle speed as low as you can get it without it stalling out on you then try tuning it. Just remember to turn the idle speed back up.

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #4 - 06/12/09 at 23:33:02

BurnPgh wrote on 06/12/09 at 22:45:40:
after you warm the bike up turn down the idle speed as low as you can get it without it stalling out on you then try tuning it. Just remember to turn the idle speed back up.

Throttle valve (idle speed) setting affects the mixture screw setting. Optimal mixture screw setting is not exactly the same idling at 800 rpm or 1100 rpm.  

IP Logged
Genjuro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/13/09 at 00:27:45

Can you make the motor die or just about die when you screw the pilot jet all the way in?

No, the motor will not die with the Pilot Screw all the way in or out.

Oh, I also have a K&N filter installed (in stock air box).

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/13/09 at 04:25:00

If you are not getting any response from turning the pilot air adjusting screw then you have clogged passageways inside.   You can try running the Sea Foam stuff through it to try to clear it up and if it does the job then great, but if that does not work then it's time to remove the carb and tear it down ... that's the only way to get to all of the tiny passageways.

IP Logged
Genjuro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/13/09 at 08:24:55

Ok, I will try it!

I will let you know if it works!

IP Logged
Genjuro
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/30/09 at 15:29:46

Well I just got done running seafoam throught the carb (Split between two tanks of gas) and the bike did run better after I was done.

In the mornings I still get a double pop when I let off the gas and one pop between shifts. In the afternoon it hardly pops at all.

Anyway, I still can't ajust the pilot screw, so I must still have something blocking a passagway in the carb. I did notice that when I screwed out the pilot screw that the idle went up slightly and then when I went all the way in it slowed slightly. I almost didn't notice it, but there was a slight change.

Do you think another can of seafoam might do the trick or should I start taking the carb apart?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/01/09 at 10:34:28

Genjuro wrote on 06/30/09 at 15:29:46:
Well I just got done running seafoam throught the carb (Split between two tanks of gas) and the bike did run better after I was done.

In the mornings I still get a double pop when I let off the gas and one pop between shifts. In the afternoon it hardly pops at all.

Anyway, I still can't ajust the pilot screw, so I must still have something blocking a passagway in the carb. I did notice that when I screwed out the pilot screw that the idle went up slightly and then when I went all the way in it slowed slightly. I almost didn't notice it, but there was a slight change.

Do you think another can of seafoam might do the trick or should I start taking the carb apart?

You could remove the pilot adjusting screw completely, then use the little red tube to shoot carb cleaner in the hole.  Do it with the float bowl removed or with the drain plug removed.  Let the carb cleaner drain out, put the pilot adjusting screw back in and return it to the last setting you had and then tune from that point.
When removing the pilot adjusting screw be sure that the slotted head of the screw is not damaged (easy to do) and that the little spring, tiny washer and tiny o-ring come out with the screw and are in good condition.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 18:23:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adjusting Pilot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.