Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Synthetic oil
Reply #30 - 07/01/09 at 04:52:21

LS650v,   yes, these pics ARE from an engine that had an oil delivery problem, yes this is so and you are correct.  I was lazy and got called out for it and that is also correct.  Thank you for the comment, I will replace the pics with more appropriate ones (if they are still available).

Frankly, it was late and I was lazy, I had these pics on my local PC so I used them.  I should have searched out the pics used earlier by other folks to show the same issues.   Let me get a little unlazy and go try to find them now.

Lets, see, search engine -- tappet zdp zddp

This thread has a pic of same issue in another flat tappet vehicle, but this too could be seen as exaggerated.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1214085990/14#14

==========

What the f--- ??   Where are all our LS650 tappet follower pictures?

==========

Houston, we have a problem.   Tech and rebuild posts contained in older threads have lost their pictures due to Photobucket dumping all the older pictures.

The pics I am wanting aren't there any more.

==========

Who has Savage Greg's CD ?? -- it has some good pics of tappet wear from bikes he worked on.    You would have to transfer the pic to a net picture hosting site and and then post it.

==========

Here is a bit of raw gasoline to dump on your budding oil war fire ...

(this is the shot of raw gasoline)

”Despite the pains taken in developing special flat-tappet camshaft wear tests that these new oils must pass and the fact that the "ZDP equivalent" additive level of these new oils is comparable to the level found necessary to protect flat-tappet camshafts in the past, there will still be those who want to believe the myth that new oils will wear out older engines.
Like other myths before it, history teaches us that it will probably take 60 or 70 years for this one to die also.“

(this is the response from the muscle car group)

I do not believe that anyone who has spent time investigating this situation would say that the new oils had insufficient EP characteristics for ALL flat tappet engines, especially low-performance engines. As a matter of fact, the number of oils with API certification proves that low-performance flat-tappet engines can pass the Sequence III tests with acceptable wear. Our study of the ASTM test sequences IIIE, IIIF, IIIG, IVA and VE required to achieve API certification reveal that NONE were developed using high-performance engines. Indeed, these tests were developed using relatively low-performance engines intended to model average current and emerging vehicle engine wear characteristics. This makes sense considering that the purpose of the ILSAC/API specifications is to provide a standard set of performance criteria for oil to be used in new over-the-road automobiles and trucks. The standards are not intended to infer any degree of backwards compatibility with older or specialty engines. While investigating the amount of ZDDP needed to protect engines Olree stated: “Arguing that modern oils should pass tests developed 25 years ago to protect engines built 30 years ago is a rather useless exercise ”. Since he is studying the situation from the perspective of designing the lubrication for the next generation of motors, we see his perspective for making such a statement. In doing so he is acknowledging that the test is not specifically designed to quantify oil’s performance with older engines. Unfortunately, “those” engines are the ones we enthusiasts run and care about.

At AMI our automotive group has 60 years of experience collectively with GM flat tappet engines. In all of this experience, the recent failures of stock cams and lifters due to severe wear is unprecedented. It is this experience as well as supporting reports from others we spoke to that made us try to find out the nature of the problem first hand. After preliminarily concluding that the low ZDDP levels in SL oils were the culprit for the wear we were seeing, we tried to obtain enough ZDDP for our own vehicles. We soon found out that major oil companies and additive manufacturers do not sell small quantities, and buying a large quantity is expensive! When others people in car clubs asked to buy ZDDP with us as well, we finally were able to put together enough justification to place an order. This is how we first found ourselves in the business of selling a ZDDP supplement.

It is our belief that there is no overt movement in the oil industry to create new oils that are bad for older engines as some conspiracy theorists may speculate. There certainly IS a movement in the oil industry to create new oils which are tailored to the specifications and requirements primarily of newer cars, and secondarily of older vehicles. This does not mean that they are concerned at all with 30 years old muscle cars. To the automotive industry an OLD car is 10 years old. The cars we care about are invisible to the OEM industry. While we have great faith in the engineering behind the new oils, we also notice that backwards compatibility with 100% of old engines is not on the product spec sheet. The oil manufacturers obviously know of the importance of the ZDDP to older flat tappet engines, as many of them are steering owners of these engines toward their ZDDP formulated diesel oil line, showing they acknowledge the possible need for higher levels of ZDDP in these engines.

The lobes on this 289 Ford Mustang flat tappet cam suffered excessive wear because the motor oil did not contain adequate levels of ZDDP anti-scuff additive.

If you are driving an older classic muscle car or hot rod that has an engine with a flat tappet camshaft, you should be aware of the fact that today's "SM" rated motor oils contain much lower levels of anti-scuff additive called "ZDDP" (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate). The level of ZDDP in current motor oils has been reduced to no more than 0.08% phosphorus to extend the life of the catalytic converter. Phosphorus can contaminate the catalyst over time if the engine uses oil, causing an increase in tailpipe emissions.

The lower ZDDP content is not harmful to late model engines with roller lifters or followers because the loads are much lower on the camshaft lobes. But on pushrod engines with flat tappet cams, the level of ZDDP may be inadequate to prevent cam lobe and lifter wear. In some cases, cam failures have occurred in as little as a few thousand miles of driving! This is even more of a risk in engines if stiffer valve springs and/or higher lift rocker arms are used.

To avoid such problems, you should add a ZDDP additive to the crankcase, or use an oil that meets the previous "SL" service rating, or use diesel motor oil or racing oil that contains adequate levels of ZDDP to protect the camshaft and lifters.

If you are installing a new camshaft in the engine, be sure to use the cam manufacturers assembly lube and follow the recommended break-in procedure. But you will still need to add ZDDP to the crankcase or use an oil that contains adequate levels of ZDDP for continued protection.

« Last Edit: 07/01/09 at 07:09:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #31 - 07/01/09 at 10:09:26

I've been using Amsoil 20-50 for 3 years now, no issues at all, on my '95. About 12,000 miles with it. I have more confidence with it on hot days stuck in traffic. Local dealers run about $10 a quart.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #32 - 07/01/09 at 14:06:24

All the Amsoil oils have very high ZDDP, much higher than the industry standards.  ZDDP is depleted as the engine operates.  Amsoil claims their very long oil drain intervals (25k or 1-yr) partly due to their high level of ZDDP so some will remain active in the oil as depletion occurs over this long mileage.  Amsoil is made with very low volatility so little gets into auto catalytic converts.  I'm not promoting Amsoil...I feel it is very good but over hyped and over priced.

When I said that other products did the job of ZDDP, but at a higher price, I should have included some of these such as Antimony dialkyldithiocarbamate, some of the Organomolybdenum complex of organic esters including Molybdenum Trialkyldithiocarbamate (MoTDC),  overbased calcium compounds, and some borate compounds, among others.  ZDDP and MoTDC work especially well together.

I looked at some motorcycle oil labels in a shop yesterday.  All were blended to the obsolete API Service Catetory SG.  Basically that means that they can have whatever amount of ZDDP that the maker choses to include.

So, bottom line, use any dual-rated diesel & gasoline engine oil, 15W-40 or syn 5W-40, with .12% phosphorus, or use a motorcycle oil.  The auto oils that do not carry the ILSAC GF-4 label can have more than 0.8% phosphorus, but we do not know exactly what they do have unless the oil blender tells us either on a data sheet or through a communication.  These auto oils include the so-called oil for high mileage engines and the automobile grades 10W-40 & 20W-50 as well as single grade oils.  A "racing" oil probably does have high zinc, but some have a short service life.  Also, the oil blender must state that the oil is OK for motorcycle wet clutches and transmissions, something like, "---is recommended for use in all 4-cycle air-cooled or water-cooled motorcycle engines. ---- can also used in those motorcycles that have a common sump for the engine and transmission."

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 07/02/09 at 07:29:01

And digesting all of the above info down into a simple easy to remember recommendation for something you can buy relatively cheaply by the gallon at Walmart is:

Rotella T 15w40 dino oil in the white jug (triple protection label preferred)  $11 per gallon

Rotella T 5w40 Synthetic oil in the blue jug (extreme high temp protection)  $19 per gallon

And as always, changing your oil frequently is the very cheapest and best way to keep it from needing expensive repair work.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:14:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Synthetic oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.