Send Topic Print
Synthetic oil (Read 444 times)
Tanner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Synthetic oil
06/28/09 at 07:29:29

Hi guys. Newbiei here. Bought the wife a 2009 violet S40. She's got over 600 miles on it now and it's time for the first oil change. Is it a good idea to use a 10-40 full synthetic like Mobile 1 mx4t ?

Mike

IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Re: Synthetic oil
Reply #1 - 06/28/09 at 07:40:04

Yes you can , but it is a waste of money as the savage is meant to run on any good oil. i bought suzuki oil from my dealer plus oil filters and change my own oil and filter every 3000 miles. More smiles per miles you will get with this bike. welcome to the site. Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Tanner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/28/09 at 07:44:43

Thanks. Yes, I'm going down to the dealer today hoping that the oil filter is in stock and I don't have to wait for it. We're taking the bike out next Thursday for a long weekend run and I didn't think to get the filter early.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/28/09 at 09:20:00

The following material was submitted by Kwaknut, a member of this site who works at a high level in the oil industry.  It explains why synthetic oils are superior to any non-synthetic in any engine.  It is well worth your time to read it:

"About synthetics:

First, a lot of the myths about synthetics go back several decades when the original ‘synthetics’ were strange indeed, such as glycol based, and had very different properties to your normal mineral oil – there were problems with them attacking seals, they had disadvantages for every advantage, and you absolutely could not ix the with mineral oil.  However, there are many kinds of synthetics.

Modern polyalphaolefin ‘synthetics’ we use in retail automotive applications are not like that – they’re 100% compatible with mineral oils because they are the same compounds, just made in a purer way than nature can do it.

What people fail to grasp is that these synthetics are chemically the same as mineral oils, just purer.  Your average engine oil is made up of molecules each consisting about 30 carbon atoms, with obviously a few bits of oxygen and hydrogen thrown in.  In a mineral oil, they are going to be in all sorts of shapes -  think of it like the variation in shape you get with snowflakes.  The odd one will just be a neat, perfect, straight carbon chain – but not many at all.  Those others, the majority of randomly-shaped 30-weight molecules all have physical weaknesses, and ‘corners’ where other chemicals find it easier to react and attach.  

In your traditional mineral oil/liquefied dinosaur juice, it all starts out as one thick gloop that comes out of the ground and we fractionally distil it to get different ‘weights’ out at the refinery.  The thin stuff goes in fuel tanks, the medium stuff is lube, and the thick stuff makes roads.  Vacuum distillation separates the oils in to different weights of base stock – hence the 30-ish carbon molecule size in our oils.  

A true synthetic engine oil is polymerised – made up from C2 gas (ethane), to produce perfect straight carbon chains.  They are chemically identical to the less smoothly shaped natural molecules, they have the same chemical formula, but they are far more stable, not just to oxidation and chemical breakdown, but to physical duress as well – in gear teeth under extreme pressure, those molecules just slip past each other rather than breaking each other’s arms off.  That results in many advantages:

The oil remains more stable, doesn’t break down as quickly, and lasts far longer in the sump; less friction heat is generated, the oil itself exerts less friction against the metal – so less wear; less energy is used to turn the machine because of that reduce friction – so you actually gain in power and economy.  I could go on here.

Think of the oil molecules as being like components that come off a rough production line.  The very best items get inspected and put to one side for custom and aerospace applications – the rest goes into cheap mass production.  Well, with these fully synthetic oils, it’s like every molecule you get is the individually inspected blueprinted component you’d get from a custom machine shop, while normal oils contain all the average stuff and all the rejects too.

In short, it’s the same as mineral oil, but purer – much purer.

Additives

Engine oils contain a complex additive package.  Key to internal combustion engines is the dispersant/detergent pack.  The detergent coats metal surfaces to stop carbon waste products from adhering, while the dispersant is made up of little charged molecules which attach to small pieces of carbon and cause them to repel from each other – that way, the particles of suspended carbon (which are going to be there from fuel combustion and a little from oil burned on the bores whether you want it or not) always stay smaller than the oil film, and do not rub against your engine’s precious working surfaces.

There are also anti-wear agents, similar to those used in gearboxes which are activated by the temperatures caused at local pressure points, and effectively put a protective chemical coat on the metal, and there are viscosity improvers, which are spiral molecules which expand when hot, helping to counteract the thinning of an oil with increased temperature.

There are also emulsifying agents; their job is to trap water, in an emulsion, which allows the oil to absorb, safely, a certain amount of crankcase condensation or other moisture ingress.  Synthetics do not have any ‘problems’ with condensation that other oils would not have, whatever anecdotal evidence may have been observed by the odd individual.

Additives are important in engine oil – what we all need to remember is that you get what you pay for, and the good additive packs don’t go into cheap oil.  The way those additives perform comes down to the additive pack, not the oil base stock (though a good base stock will need the assistance of the additives less than a poor one).

Viscosity of synthetics:

Firstly, what do we mean when we say 10W40 or 20W50?  The first number, the W rating, says how thick the oil is at zero centigrade.  The second number says how thick it is at 100 centigrade.  You’ll notice that a mineral oil will probably be 15W40 or 20W50, while the synthetic can be 0W40 or 5W50.  That’s because the synthetics have a flatter viscosity index – and that means that their viscosity varies less with temperature.  That’s partly down to the expensive additive pack, partly lack of waxy impurities, but mostly the purity of the base stock.  

On a zero centigrade/32F cold morning, a 10W40 mineral oil will be the same thickness as a 10W50 synthetic – same pressure reading when you start up, and similar at room temperature.  However, when it gets really cold, like -15C/5F or worse, your mineral oil gets really thick, because it just doesn’t like that cold, and until it warms up your engine struggles to pump it round – it can be several seconds on that kind of cold day before the top end gets any oil at all!  With the synthetic, that flat viscosity index, and lack of waxy impurities, means that there is far, far less thickening when it gets really cold, and the oil still flows easily.

You can test this yourself.  Take an egg cup (or a smaller container) of Mobil 1, and of a similar W-rated mineral oil, and leave them in the deep freeze overnight.  See how they pour in the morning.

When it gets hot, obviously the reverse happens.  The 5W50 synthetic is the same thickness as the 20W50 mineral oil at 100C, but when things go wrong the viscosity of the mineral oil drops right off, and it starts to evaporate too quickly off hot bores.  The synthetic retains much more viscosity than the mineral oil, doesn’t evaporate off the bores as easily and remains far, far more resistant to thermal breakdown.  In Europe GM launched a car called the Vauxhall Carlton some 20-odd years ago.  Lotus had the contract to develop it from a 3-litre, 4-door saloon to be ‘quicker than a Ferrari Testarossa’.  They achieved it, but struggled badly to get the 377bhp they needed from that 3 litre turbocharged engine (this was the 80s remember) because they couldn’t keep temperature down at the boost they needed, and the oil was boiling in the sump.  The answer?  Mobil1 5W50, and thick black print in the owner’s handbook not to use any other oil!

Again, you can test it yourself.  Place a teaspoon each of 20W50 mineral oil and 5W50 synthetic in a baking tray in a hot oven, and see how they take the heat (best to do this when the mrs is out)

You’ll always here people come out with stories of how they’ve had problems with synthetic oil.  What they can rarely tell you is whether they’d have had the same problem with mineral oil, or if they just hadn’t noticed up to the point they changed the oil!  

Lots of people will continue to resist the expertise of some pretty clever people who develop these products for the oil companies, and go with the advice of the mechanic at their local bar who wouldn’t even trust synthetic oil in his lawnmower.  He’s like a fellow in my local pub who won’t wear a seatbelt in case he can’t duck to one side when a truck full of scaffolding poles gets spilled over his hood – he’d get skewered if he wore his belt, so he’s convinced that it’s safer to drive without a seat belt on.  I doubt he really has to worry about being run through by scaffolding poles, and I just hope he doesn’t have a regular crash."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP Logged
Tanner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/28/09 at 09:43:08

Actually the Mobile 1 is the one I was going to buy. There's another called Amsoil but you can only get it online. This makes me a tad skeptical. Anyone have any experience with Amsoil?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 06/28/09 at 09:46:48

Because of the wet clutch its should be a motorcycle oil,Not just regular Mobile 1

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Tanner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/28/09 at 10:01:07

Yes, the Mobile 1 mx4t is synthetic motorcycle oil. My local cycle gear has it on sale right now!

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 06/28/09 at 15:37:14

Just gave my bike it's first full synth oil change w/filter last week. Went with Mobil 1 v-twin 20-50 for the summer months. I've been using Mobil 1 10-30 for my Audi for years, and the odometer stopped working at 190,000 miles, probably about 10,000 miles ago. No smoke and I beat the living crap out of that car. Figure if it's good enough for the Audi, it's good enough for the Savage. It was cheap enough at Auto zone at $9.00 a quart.

FSO
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #8 - 06/28/09 at 17:52:46

make sure everything is tight because that synthetic stuff is slippery and will find a place to drip if it can

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #9 - 06/28/09 at 18:37:44

Tanner wrote on 06/28/09 at 09:43:08:
Actually the Mobile 1 is the one I was going to buy. There's another called Amsoil but you can only get it online. This makes me a tad skeptical. Anyone have any experience with Amsoil?

My local shop carries Amsoil and that is what I use in my bike. It is pricey but good stuff.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 06/28/09 at 18:41:41

I would run it more miles than 500-600 miles before going to Synthetic to be sure its broke in good.At lease 1200 miles or so.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #11 - 06/28/09 at 18:45:44

Tanner wrote on 06/28/09 at 09:43:08:
Anyone have any experience with Amsoil?
Yes! I am an Amsoil dealer! You will experience a number of benefits from synthetics as the post from gort states. Our bikes do Not run better on mineral oil. One of the myths about sythetics is that they cause an engine to leak. If you have an old high mileage bike which has bad seals that has not been maintained the higher detergent concentration in the synthetic can clean sludge from around a bad seal and increase leakage. With your late model bike this will not be an issue. If you decide not to use our oil that is fine but you will still beneifit from synthetics. I personally beleive ours is the best. Read this test and see what you think http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/WhitePaper.aspx You dont have to order it from the internet. Use the dealer locator to find a local dealer in the area http://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/ or give me a call and I can have it shipped to your door.  Gazoo www.lubedealer.com/1lube

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
Tanner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/28/09 at 19:08:25

I did buy the Mobil 1 synthetic. I got the filter from the local dealer and installed both a couple hours ago. Took the bike for a spin and everything seems fine. I'll inspect for leaks in the morning. I'm afraid to tighten it too much and strip it. If it leaks I'll tighten a little more. I put a new o ring in too.

Next time I'll try the Amsoil. The Mobile 1 was expensive enough. $9 a quart on sale down from $12 a quart. Ouch!  How often do you guys change your oil?  every 3000?

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #13 - 06/29/09 at 10:34:42

The oil I'd absolutely avoid is any non-synthetic automotive 10W-40.  Motorcycle 10W-40 is too expensive, and I'd rather use a 50 wt in the summer.

I have a comment about the synthetic oil posting in the technical section.

Amsoil is very good but over priced and over hyped in my opinion.  I know, opinions are like a------s; everybody has one and all but mine stink.

For our engines I'd choose a dual-rated 15W-40 diesel & gasoline engine oil; Conoco/Phillips/76/Kendall is my current favorite.  Or a synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oil.  Or a 20W-50 oil listed on the label as suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches and engine oil lubed transmissions, or a synthetic xW-50 version with the same label info.

For about $5 you can get an excellent HiFloFiltro #HF137 oil filter at a non-Suzuki shop.  I believe they make the motorcycle oil filters for K&N.

3000 miles is OK for oil changes, but I'd do it at 2k if you're using less than the very best quality oil due to the shearing of the oil in the gear teeth or if the oil is getting very hot in your climate.  For sure do an oil change before you put the cycle away for the winter.   The appropriate Mobil 1 is one of the very best.  Mobile is a city in Alabama.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/29/09 at 10:43:27

I am using synth just because my girlfriend bought me it a couple months ago and I dropped it in not noticing. Aparently there is no going back. I figure, if there is less wear on the bike than awesome. Ever since swapping carbs for a vm carb I am a little harder on the throttle. So, figure I better use better lube. I dont notice any performance inmprovements, however a colleague with a ninja 650R has noticed a difference in his performance.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:21:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Synthetic oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.