Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White Spacer Mod Question (Read 95 times)
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

White Spacer Mod Question
06/26/09 at 10:34:00

Hi guys,

I have read a bunch of posts and believe I know how to do the spacer mod.  What I am trying to figure out is how thick I want the replacements?

From what I understand there are two spacers?  Can we get away with just removing one?  I don't want to file them down...so is it better to get some regular washers and use them?  I think I read #3 is what would be needed?

Now this is for a stock setup.  Time to put a wrinkle.

If I wanted to put on a sportster exhaust but was not able to do the rejetting...could a guy get away with removing more white spacer to compensate (i.e., richening it up some?)  It is a stock / unmodified sportster exhaust and the air filter / box are stock as well.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: White Spacer Mod Question
Reply #1 - 06/26/09 at 13:24:48

white spacer controls the mid range in the throttle circuit.  It is a nylon spacer and it's easiest to replace it with washers.  Just take the spacer to a hardware store and get some washers that are the same inner and outer diameter.  Play with the thickness you need depending on your conditions (atmosphere, intake, exhaust).  

FWIW, rejetting the carb is actually easier than replacing the white spacer.  The hardest part is taking the carb out, but if you can spin a wrench and read some directions you can get the carb out.  Having a long thin screwdriver will go a long way as well.  

p.s. I have a sportster 1200 exhaust on mine and a K&N style cone intake and 2 small washers in place of the white spacer, 52.5 pilot jet and 152.5 main jet and about 2 or so turns out on the air mix screw.  Get the jet kit from Lancer on this board and it will have everything you need.  HTH

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 06/26/09 at 14:05:10

Don't need to remove the carburetor to do any of the rejetting, but it sure makes things easier to see.  Getting the carb back in is a minor hassle.  The tank's gott'a be off to either do the spacer in place or to put the carb back (anyone have a way to get the carb back in with the tank on???).

If the main jet is changed in place, you'll probably find that a #2 Phillips driver bit (hex shank) in a socket (probably 1/4") works best for the two screws near the battery.  Be very careful to hold the screwdriver or bit vertical...these are actually JIS screw heads, not Phillips, and they like to strip.  Many have replaced the screws with socket head cap screws and use a ball-end hex key (AllenŽ wrench).  The main jet has a brass washer that must not be dropped into the crevice by the starter motor... Roll Eyes....

How long is the white spacer?  2.7mm or 2.5mm or???

I have stock intake & exhaust and have good mid-range results with either three or four 3mm steel washers (I've tried both three and four and don't notice a difference either in power or smoothness or in fuel consumption).

I like the 150 main jet.  I have the idle adjustment screw set so the engine runs well at 0-25% throttle and hardly ever backfires.  After that setting, I set the idle speed at 1200 rpm on a very warm engine.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/27/09 at 03:07:04

The white spacer looks like a little white donut and is 5mm thick.  You can just rub it back and forth on a file until it is about half size or replace it with 2 or 3 washers.  Most of the tiny washers that are the correct inner and outer size are about 1/2 mm thick.  Most folks use 3 washers and as mentioned already a 52.5 pilot and 152.5 main jet work well for most, oh and the pilot air adjusting screw set in the 1 1/2 to 2 turns out range....whatever the engine needs to control the backfiring and making for a smooth and strong low throttle range.
Making the jet changes and the screw setting will make for a much happier engine.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/27/09 at 03:44:34

For first timers, I would recommend pulling the carb. Also, securing the thing so that the screws can be dealt with is important. If they got broke loose while still mounted on the bike, that might be a good thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:27:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White Spacer Mod Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.