tank... (Read 147 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
tank...
06/25/09 at 09:45:12

can anyone give me a step by step maybe with some pics on how to take the tank off, the wire and hoses that go with it. which hose u drain it from and so on?

it would be much appreciated!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Re: tank...
Reply #1 - 06/25/09 at 12:13:26

Remove main seat - remove two mounting bolts - disconnect gas vac and fuel lines - disconnect the speedo cable - To remove the tank you have to ease it backward and slightly to the left so that the petcock clears the frame - once the petcock is clear of the frame the tank should come away quite easily - look under the tank and you'll find the instrument connector block - separate the connector block - Bob's yer uncle it should come off now. I'm pretty sure that's all I had to do. Oh! Try not to lose the rubber mounting pads under the tank, they pop off very easily.

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/25/09 at 12:19:03

Rocco wrote on 06/25/09 at 09:45:12:
can anyone give me a step by step maybe with some pics on how to take the tank off, the wire and hoses that go with it. which hose u drain it from and so on?

it would be much appreciated!

Here is a link to the repair manual. This is what I used for tank removal. To be honest, with the right kind of wiggle you can remove the tank without removing the petock. The tank gets easier to remove as you practice. It take me about 5 minutes to do it. Seat must come off first. All you need is a socket wrench and a 10mm socket.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1236700171

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 06/25/09 at 13:20:01

thank u gentlemen! 2morrow i'm going to remove the tank so i can replace the flasher relay and work on the paint. i've read some tank horror stories and was just a little leery! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 06/25/09 at 13:42:06

Oooo Mike strikes made these delrin bits for the tank.
You can extend that hole to be a slot. Then you can put in some sorta handle/screw/tag in it so you can pull it out with the tank still on the bike.
That will leave you plenty of shake/wobble room to pill the tank.
Also mike can be persuaded to make some - but make with rounder corners and machine them smoother, so they slide easier.
I dunni, there could be a ear machined into it - if he can do that, so you can get it out when the tank is still in it.
Somehting like a ear on the back side as it sits n the bike and the ear should be in the rear part of it.
You put it in with the open end facing forward and spin it so the tank cane come out by itself. Then spin it back and pull it off.
Somehting like that. It should have a couple flat spots top and bottom, and a tab on the back side.
Yea ... K confused enough ... OK fine. I'll send a pic to mike strikes.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 06/25/09 at 13:50:22

please do...because i am so lost right now lol!!

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/25/09 at 18:52:46

Rocco wrote on 06/25/09 at 13:50:22:
please do...because i am so lost right now lol!!

Prep is everything for painting. You can repaint a tank that was not well done, but you dont want to go through the hassle of re-preping if badly prepared. Draining the tank is a must for painting. Remove the petcock and put box tape of the opening. Remove the has cap and tape inside of the tank fill up part until you have a cone poping out. This means you are going to be using a lot of tape to make a cone coming outwards so that primer, paint and what do not get in your tank while sanding or while painting. I sanded by hand lol and it took my a day to do so. I also had to bondo a dent from previous owner so my prep took two days. My girlfriends father painted my tank. He painted outside and there were fuzzies than kept landing, but those were buffed out after clear coat. You shouldnt have that issue with the flat black. Goodluck with your paint job. You can totally do it. Remember to hang your tank if possible and do quick side to side sweeping motions for spray painting.  

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 06/26/09 at 00:11:52

thanks for the advice bro! i'm actually gonna take the tank down to bare metal i know i ruined the surprised. i'm gonna steel wool swirls after all the paint is off. if i can i want to spray the punisher logo and make it drippy looking on the top. and i'm def going to clear coat it since it's bare.

but i'm feeling pretty good about it. it's 3:30 right now and my friend is coming over 2morrow around 9 or 10 to help me with the wrap and take the tank off so i can attempt to do what i want.

to say the least, i'll have made my bike personal & what i wanted, which is all i could want!

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/26/09 at 04:03:59

Rocco wrote on 06/26/09 at 00:11:52:
thanks for the advice bro! i'm actually gonna take the tank down to bare metal i know i ruined the surprised. i'm gonna steel wool swirls after all the paint is off. if i can i want to spray the punisher logo and make it drippy looking on the top. and i'm def going to clear coat it since it's bare.

but i'm feeling pretty good about it. it's 3:30 right now and my friend is coming over 2morrow around 9 or 10 to help me with the wrap and take the tank off so i can attempt to do what i want.

to say the least, i'll have made my bike personal & what i wanted, which is all i could want!

Bare metal and a logo. I wanna see this. I am very interested.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 06/26/09 at 07:00:22

yeah i haven't seen many, my friend who paints cars said it's gonna be alot of work to get it the way i want BUT i'm going for it. stay tuned for upcoming attractions lol

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/26/09 at 19:18:50

"actually gonna take the tank down to bare metal "

Bare metal and clear coat was what I had planned ...until I was talked out of it by the people that paint for a living. Then I thought clear powder coat! The powder coating place in town suggested a bare metal, satin  powder coat (looks like sand blasted aluminum).
They sandblast tank finders and side tin and powder coat for 75-150 depending on how much work is needed getting the paint off. I can strip the parts myself, so...

And I can paint over the powder coat  and add vinyl as I choose

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #11 - 06/27/09 at 04:07:16

i'm having a blast wire wheeling all the paint off....i could use paint thinner or get it done for me but i'm having a good time! plus i'm doing way better then i thought i would so i'm gonna keep going!

and yes, bare metal looks sweeeet!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:24:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tank...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.