Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to test your Voltage Regulator-Rectifier (Read 682 times)
constrapolator
YaBB Newbies

Clymer LS650 Manual,
Page 49, Step #11
 ::cry::

Santa Cruz, CA
How to test your Voltage Regulator-Rectifier
06/25/09 at 19:46:27

For those that have the Clymer manual, the test for a faulty voltage regulator/rectifier is to "take it to a Suzuki dealer."  Unacceptable.  

There are two sets of wires from the regulator/rectifier.  One with three yellow wires and one with a red wire, a black/white wire, and (optionally) an orange/brown wire (depending on the model).  With the notched side up, the top-right lead is Y1, the bottom lead is Y2, and the top-left lead is Y3.  

With the Suzuki pocket tester you should achieve these values (k-ohm):

|-----|--R--|--Y1-|--Y2-|--Y3-|-B/W-|-O/B-|
|--R--|     | inf | inf | inf | inf | inf |
|--Y1-| 3.0 |     | inf | inf | inf | inf |
|--Y2-| 3.0 | inf |     | inf | inf | inf |
|--Y3-| 3.0 | inf | inf |     | inf | inf |
|-B/W-| 7.5 | 3.0 | 3.0 | 3.0 |     | 4.5 |
|-O/B-|  60 |  40 |  40 |  40 |  28 |     |

Your values will differ slightly if you use a regular multimeter instead of the Suzuki special tester.  But if you're in the M-ohm's for non-infinite values (inf), then probably something is wrong.  

Hope this helps anyone in my situation!  

S40 2005, LS650 1996
  IP Logged
constrapolator
YaBB Newbies

Clymer LS650 Manual,
Page 49, Step #11
 ::cry::

Santa Cruz, CA
Re: How to test your Voltage Regulator-Rectifier
Reply #1 - 07/02/09 at 16:17:07

Let it be known, with a working voltage-rectifier and a standard multimeter, I got totally different values.  

So strange that they differ so greatly from the suzuki pocket tester!

S40 2005, LS650 1996
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 07/03/09 at 09:38:45

Measuring OHMs with a multi-meter other than specified is crap shoot. Each brand and sometimes the model within the brand uses a different voltage to check the resistance. Especially with low OHM readings the results will vary. Even in the expensive Fluke line, an Fluke 87 will get a slightly different reading than the 88 which has circuits specially designed to measure low OHMs. An analog meter will get slightly different readings than digital also. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 07/04/09 at 05:31:07

When checking diode resistance using a digital voltmeter (DMM), you are usually checking not resistance but forward conduction voltage. You will usually get numbers around 6 to 7 (ignoring decimal point and range), because the forward conduction voltage for a silicon diode is about 0.6 volts. The decimal point and range of the meter will vary all over, but the number will be about the same. Some meters are so designed that they do not use a high enough voltage to make a diode conduct, so diodes show "open" or "infinite" in both directions. These meters usually have one range marked with the diode symbol, and it is the only range that will work. If you get a reading of about 12 to 14 (ignoring decimal and range) you probably have two diodes in series. Many meters "overrange" above a reading of 1999, so you cannot measure three diodes in series.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/27/14 at 16:02:11

for those of you with 6 wire regulators...

Steve H wrote on 09/27/14 at 15:33:19:
Found out the 6th wire is on/off for the regulator.  When the key is on, it is energized and turns on the regulator IC.

WWW   IP Logged
daincitydave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/15/15 at 16:02:42

I have an 86 savage. thought my regulator was not working. ordered a replacemen,t a 3rd party replacement.

was still having issues with bike slowly losing power after every start until eventually didn't have enough power to start. after a trickle charge all was good for maybe be two starts.

I noticed my original had the six wires mentioned above. the replacement only has 5. and the way the connections in the harness line up, the power (brown/orange) goes to the slot that the red wire is going into from regulator. the red wire on bike goes into an empty slot in the harness.  

what do you mean that brown/orange wire is optional? am I able to just pull out the red and put it Into the proper slot in the harness?

I hope that made sense.

thanks.

IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #6 - 08/17/17 at 21:53:41

Anyone have any recommendations on after market replacement regulators?

Thanks!

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/17/24 at 19:50:33

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › How to test your Voltage Regulator-Rectifier

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.