Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Analyze this crash (Read 179 times)
PTRider

Analyze this crash
06/25/09 at 13:51:27

How many things can you find that the riders or drivers did wrong?...What would have been the right thing to have done to prevent or minimize the crash?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/25/horrific-high-speed-scoot_n_220621.html

It looks like there might be a reflection on the road indicating a damp surface.

I see:
1--The car is using the double yellow line as merely a guide...not uncommon in Taiwan and other recently developed and developing countries.
2--The rider failed to slow before entering the curve.
3--The rider failed to enter the curve to the outside of the curve then turn in toward the inside of the curve.
4--The rider may have locked his rear brake causing the lowside skid.
5--The rider may have laid it down on purpose resulting in a high speed, hard slide into the car.
6--The second rider didn't have a chance, but he's also entering the curve on the wrong side of his lane and is following too closely.

What should the riders have done in the first place?
1--Reasonable speed, especially if the road was indeed damp & slick.
2--Slow before reaching the curve so the throttle can be rolled-on through the curve.
3--Enter the curve on the outside of the lane (left side in the case of a right turn) to get a better view of what's coming at you.
4--Go deep into the curve before turning sharp (while you're at your slowest speed) then straightening the radius of your turn as you're rolling-on the throttle.  This also reduces the chance of turning wide into the on-coming lane.
5--If in trouble, keep the bike upright and brake 50/50 front/rear on slippery surfaces or heavy on the front and medium modulating to light on the rear on dry pavement (must not skid the rear)--or--turn tighter by countersteering harder and leaning the body to the inside to get peg clearance--never both at the same time.

Other thoughts?

IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Re: Analyze this crash
Reply #1 - 06/25/09 at 14:06:42

Don't ride in Asia.  Smiley

But seriously, I think you hit on all the important factors.

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - 06/25/09 at 14:12:32

Shame we can't see from another angle..

The 1st second shows the 1st scooter way out of control, even before he comes into shot...

Forget the car... I can't see he was to blame... The guy on the bike was gonna hit something sooner or later...

I think It's a case of being youthful, stupid and being lucky enough to walk away...

We Live if we're lucky, and learn... but that just looks like dumb riding..

AJ

prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #3 - 06/25/09 at 14:45:44

The biggest thing I see is that nobody has checked on the first rider.  He bounced off the second car's bumper and shot off the road but nobody goes to see if he is ok.  He is not seen in the video clip again.  We do see all passersby and witnesses and participants of the crash apparantly leaving.  Nice caring people they are.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/25/09 at 18:42:36

I spent some time in Taiwan and the scooters are unreal! Its like driving with dozens of giant bees around you all the time! From what I could tell the rule of the road is simple: Cars follow traffic rules; scooters only follow two rules 1) they stop at stop signs and (generally) ride on the correct side of the street. Otherwise, if they can squeeze between you and the curb, they do it. At stop lights, 20 scooters will crowd around and wait for the light to change and then buzz off. When you drive, you ignore them and it's up to them to avoid you. Its crazy but I gotta tell you, it looks like it would be a  blast! Sometimes you'll see three people with a basket of laundry or bag of food on one. I swear I saw a scooter with two guys and they were holding a mattress balanced on their helmets!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 06/25/09 at 22:23:23

!.  Ouch!....
2. The guy was down before the turn.... the cars just ran into the aftermath.
3. Ouch!... the second idiot just followed the first...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #6 - 06/25/09 at 22:41:03

Bike's fault 100%

too fast + blocked front break + curve   Cheesy

...darned kids and their darned scooters!!!

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #7 - 06/26/09 at 08:17:00

Stupid hurts!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 06/26/09 at 08:29:39

I agree with prsavage. I can't believe the reaction of the people to the accident. Up here bystanders would have been all over the 2 bikers offering any help they could. Nobody seems to have a clue. Do they?

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
AngloSaxon

I'd rather have one
big one than four
small ones.

Framingham MA
Reply #9 - 06/26/09 at 09:18:36

Like they say on the news,"Police believe that speed was a factor", NO SH1T!!! Also did you the woman get out of the car with her baby in her arms? She must have had the kid on her lap in the front seat, go figure. It surely looked like the 1st rider had locked up his front wheel to me. If he'd locked up the back wheel, he would have come in arse first. I couldn't believe his buddy on the second bike didn't think to check on his mate though. Lips Sealed

As yet, a Bog Standard '87 with a big arse Harley muffler.
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #10 - 06/26/09 at 16:27:03

The first scooter rider was changing his playlist on his Ipod and also thumb typing when his grande cappucino spillled on his new Alpinestars full racing leathers. To protect his $800 suit, he pushed hard on his handlebars, initiating countersteering before slowing, rolling on power and looking into the turn. Had he taken the BRC for Scooters he would have remembered the CRASH acronym for all scooter turns:

Coffee in cupholder
Reach for Ipod
Activate pause button
Steer
Happliy text when exiting turn

Smiley

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
EssForty

Sunshine, Surf &
Suzuki

Melbourne, FL
Reply #11 - 06/26/09 at 16:28:52

Mr. Hyde wrote on 06/26/09 at 08:29:39:
I agree with prsavage. I can't believe the reaction of the people to the accident. Up here bystanders would have been all over the 2 bikers offering any help they could. Nobody seems to have a clue. Do they?

No. In America the first person on the scene would have been a lawyer with a handful of business cards.

06 S40, Deuce shield, OEM saddlebags & Engine Guard, ENM tach, Sigma 1106 Speedo, oil pressure & voltage gauges, grip puppies, Kuryakyn Ellipse mirrors, ISO pegs & throttle boss
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #12 - 06/27/09 at 09:39:43

drharveys - FSO wrote on 06/26/09 at 08:17:00:
Stupid hurts!

+1

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print