Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need some muffler upgrade tips (Read 143 times)
Ilona
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgia
Need some muffler upgrade tips
06/24/09 at 13:27:19

I love my 04 Savage, but I am in need of some upgrades (since I can't afford to get a bigger bike right now) Someone told me I could use a HD Sportster muffler to replace the original one.   Can anyone give me some tips and some "do nots" on this?  

I appreciate all the help I can get.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Need some muffler upgrade tips
Reply #1 - 06/24/09 at 13:32:03

I put a Sportster muffler on mine.  It was original equipment and all but brand new.  Since it has baffles you don't have to re-jet the carburetor if you don't want to.  I did buy mine on E-Bay from flightsimshop AKA kwikbay, but I'm told that many members here have found him to be very unreliable.  I got my muffler from him but it took much longer than I expected.  Otherwise it has been a good modification.  It gives a much deeper richer tone than the OEM muffler.  I'm sure you can find other vendors......

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Ilona
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgia
Reply #2 - 06/24/09 at 13:37:32

Thanks for the reply.  I'll check out some of those vendors.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 06/24/09 at 13:41:16

I think my muffler came off of a wide glide Harley.  I knew a friend with a bike and asked him if he had one laying around, turns out he had two.  He gave it to me and a heat shield which I cut to fit and cover up the joint.  He told me he had never heard that muffler on the bike, he got some freebie cash and had mufflers put on immediately.

I have read that harley shops will give you whatthey take off for free, but the shop here said they could not do that, company policy.  I thanked them and left.

Here's the link to my story:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244666206

Hope that helps  Smiley

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Ilona
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgia
Reply #4 - 06/25/09 at 20:02:11

Thanks Mike,  I'll check out some of the dealerships and see what they tell me.   But I'm ready to make some changes, or should I say more than ready.  lol.  

Appreciate all your help and the link to your "muffler story"

God bless Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/25/09 at 23:13:26

If you are after the best performance, drop the $$$ & get a Supertrapp. If you want some improved performance, a better sound, less weight & a better look, my choice is the Dyna muffler. Very trim shape. On a small bike like ours, I think its the best looking muffler out there. I went with the Supertrapp, because my goal was max output, not sexiest looking. but, the Dyna offers better sound & performance for very low $$$.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 06/25/09 at 23:19:20

The main caveat on a Sportster muffler is.....don't get the one with a crossover tube,... You'll have to block it, and it's ugly.  Cruise E-bay and you'll spot the difference easy.   Dyna's and Sporty's have different mounts, but either will work, and 1200's or 883's are the same.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 06/26/09 at 06:25:44

I have a muffler off of a Dyna Super Glide.

One thing to watch out for is the ID of the muffler is 1 3/4 and the OD of the header is 1 5/8. Hard to get a good seal with that difference. You'll want to:
a) use an adapter
b) use a shim
c) use muffler sealer
d) some combination of the above

The previous owner tried b, didn't work.
I went with a+c. Cost me $20 to get a local muffler shop to fab up an adapter. If you go this route, have them put a slight (7-10 degree) bend in it.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Ilona
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgia
Reply #8 - 06/26/09 at 06:38:47

Grin  THanks so much for all the tips.  This will help me a lot to make sure I get the right thing.  All the technical stuff is still a little overwhelming to me, but I'm getting there.   Smiley  

Have a blessed week-end!

IP Logged
DocNeedles

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

British Columbia
Reply #9 - 06/26/09 at 20:48:06

I went to a HD dealer and bought a used Sportster muffler for $25.00 and since I wanted to run the pipe past the back wheel break adjustment I had a muffler shop cut , flare and bend an exhaust pipe and install muffler for $20.00.  It works great a very soft sound not like the after market Sportser muffler I originally put on which was so loud I had a neighbour threaten me with piano wire!!!  
DocNeedles

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - 06/27/09 at 07:36:34

Still a Trapp is more versatile. Allows for rejetting and fine tuning at a later date, is custom made for the Savage and offers easier installation, and while the Dyna does look better I still like the Trapp.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need some muffler upgrade tips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.