Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tire Kickers & Dreamers..... (Read 179 times)
wrenchbender

wild side of the Great Lk
Tire Kickers & Dreamers.....
06/22/09 at 08:54:35

The short of the story is I have a 2006 S40 for sale with 400 miles @ $2975. Have had a bizillion* people call to tell me they'd be out the next day or whenever only to not show.

One guy has been calling on and off for several weeks. He finally got the nerve to show this weekend, takes a ride, tells me he can get a new S40 from the dealer for $3200+tax. When I ask him what he'd offer me for the bike he came up with a feeble "The wife has $2300 saved in her purse and I have a bit more to toss in". When he couldn't come up with an actual amount he'd be willing to pay, I realized it wasn't a test ride that he'd just taken; but rather a joy ride.

I checked the mentioned dealer's website to find 2 used 06's with at least a 1000 more miles @ $3999 each, so I find it unlikely a new 09 can be had for $3200 from them.

Is it Standard Operating Procedure to encounter this much BS, when selling or buying a bike these days?

* Ok..so it's been closer to 12

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tire Kickers & Dreamers.....
Reply #1 - 06/22/09 at 08:57:08

Really? $3200 & tax? I doubt that. Unless the dollar has suddenly strengthened against the yen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 06/22/09 at 09:01:16

I sold a snowmobile a couple years ago,Had several people said they wanted it,And would be back,One of them called said he still wanted it but I never heard from him again,I think its the new age,Years ago you wouldn't tell someone you were going to take something unless you were sure of it.These were all people less than 30 years old.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/22/09 at 15:30:46

bill67 wrote on 06/22/09 at 09:01:16:
  I sold a snowmobile a couple years ago,Had several people said they wanted it,And would be back,One of them called said he still wanted it but I never heard from him again,I think its the new age,Years ago you wouldn't tell someone you were going to take something unless you were sure of it.These were all people less than 30 years old.

Its a problem with online selling. People behave differently online. I have gotten low ball offers on pda's I have sold only to have it be some 17 year old punk who does not know the least bit about negotiating a business transaction. Its easy to avoid the pressure of a transaction behind a computer. F...in cowards if you ask me. If people wanna buy tell them when to come see or not come at all. I have learned to set my limits. My dad taught me how to squeel and deal in person and be honourable as well. These tire kickers have no honour for an honest business deal. I guess its all part of the game. I also hate bozos who over price their older bikes. They tend to be kids as well.

IP Logged
TheCaliKid
YaBB Newbies

Hollywood, CA
Reply #4 - 06/22/09 at 17:07:54

The no show & low ball is the norm in my experience.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #5 - 06/22/09 at 17:46:22

Depends on where you're trying to sell it. Craigslist has become so full of spam, it's hard to sift through it to find anything valid. And, it goes both ways, with buyers just testing the waters with e-mail's and no shows. Plus, with CL, there's no commitment, like a down payment via ebay where the buyer is obligated to complete the purchase if he/she wins the auction.

I would stick to your price and try and be patient. If someone seems interested, but starts playing games and offers you a price that you consider an insult, raise your price by $200 and don't back down and see how they react.

Patience is the key to buying and selling anything. I've been looking for another Audi, and have a bottom line that I'm willing to pay, and Craigslist has been a nightmare with the spam sellers.

I lucked out and bought my Savage on CL last year for $1050 with a new helmet, front wheel and cover thrown in. It was on CL for weeks and no takers. I had no idea what the heck it was anyway, but after a few e-mail's we set up a test ride. I felt that low end torque and made him an offer. He wanted $1300 for it, but since it wasn't getting any bites, he let it go.

But yeah, there are a lot of time wasters out there. One will come along that's serious and you'll sell it. Patience is the key. And for those no-shows, phone contact is a good approach. Get their phone number and make arrangements to talk via phone just before they say that they'll be coming over.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/22/09 at 19:09:08

middle of summer should get a good price for her, be patient

WWW   IP Logged
fretman

'07 S40

Brooklyn, NYC
Reply #7 - 06/22/09 at 21:42:33

In the past two months, I bought an s40 (similar deal to yours), and sold a scooter, both on Craig's List.  I had a few tire kickers on the scooter, but I think everyone was genuinely interested.  It took five or six weeks, but I got it sold for close to what I was asking. I knew the person was going to buy it when we met, all the cards lined up, and the deal fit both parties.  Same when i got the s40 - it said TAKE ME - I'M YOURS.  Life changing event Wink

white spaced, idle mix screwed,
dyna muffed, tkat braced!
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/22/09 at 21:58:40

I had my rebel sold within the week right after i bought my savage. First guy to call got the first look and after a brief haggle we shook hands and I rode it to him a few days later. A shame kind of as I had to let other callers know it was sold and couldve maybe got my full asking price but he called first so...maybe I just got lucky.

IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Reply #9 - 06/23/09 at 07:07:49

Craig's List can be a real drag sometimes - I just listed my Jeep 4x4 pickup on there a couple of weeks ago for about half of what others are going for (I'm moving across the country in a few weeks and can't take it with me), and even though the price was more than fair everyone that called had the same story: "I can only come up with $xxxx but I REALLY want it"!! Why is that people can "only come up with" less than you're asking? I finally had someone call and buy it sight unseen for what I was asking because he knew it was already a good deal.

merhlin

IP Logged
wrenchhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

MD
Reply #10 - 06/23/09 at 07:24:07

I had the same problem trying to sell my 96 Jeep Cherokee. I ran an ad in the local paper and got alot of calls and everyone was a no show. I've sold alot of cars and trucks over the years, never had this much of a problem before.  I thought selling a Cherokee for $800 people would be breaking my door down. Maybe I gave up too soon.

"When we remember we are all mad,
the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
Mark Twain

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 17:32:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Kickers & Dreamers.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.