Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LED light wiring (Read 105 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

LED light wiring
06/14/09 at 23:09:39

trying to look cool  Tongue  and also improve my nighttime visabilty (sp) since I drive about 50% of the time at night on my way home from work. put some yellow LED lights on my 2008 S40. the kit says to hook them directly into the motorcycle battery, which would be fine, but that hot wires the switch to the lights so that the bike doesn't have to be on to run the lights, which means, sometime, I'm going to accidentally leave the lights on and drain my battery. (probably a little paranoid, I leave my car lights on sometimes, the alert tone doesn't work in my car for some reason, after I changed my battery the first time) Anyway, if I'm going to hook the LEDs up to my battery I'd like to hook them into the ignition switch or something so when I turn off my motorcycle the switch is off too. I have an older  '86-'04 Clymer Suzuki Savage service manual, has the wiring changed since the 2004 Savage?? can I use the same wiring diagram in the back of the manual for my 2008 S40?   Another thought that's running through my head is just setting the LEDs up with an external 9-volt battery system.

oh yeah, I'm not mechanical or engineerial in anyway, but I have friends who are so they are helping me.  I can figure out mechanical stuff for the most part, just not trained and I have very very little experience, part of why I bought the bike though is to learn.

anyone have a new wiring diagram to share??

thanks

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: LED light wiring
Reply #1 - 06/16/09 at 19:41:25

Might post this question in the "Rubber Side Down" thread.  Since this area usually just has reference documents, it doesn't always get read as much, so not as many people see it.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
David M Smith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/17/09 at 12:34:06

While my bike was down recently I installed an LED kit myself. I did wire it straight to the battery as instructed. The thing about LEDs is they use VERY little amperage. I spoke with some people and also did some minor tests with my set. Mine is x22 5mm Blue LEDs. Blues take drain the most other than Purple/UV I think. Anyway I left mine on overnight with almost no battery drain. I've heard of being able to leave them on over an entire weekend and then starting the bike right up without any trouble.
 Personally I wouldn't test that but 1 overnighter shouldn't hurt depending on the amount and type of LEDs you have. The reason I went straight in with a switch/fuse is because I've seen some bikes outside bars at night who had the lights left on. It's like a 50 foot HEY LOOK AT ME! sign. Then while inside you just mention you have a bike and eyes light up. Hopefully the fluttering kind with nice bodies attached.
 Also it's fairly standard for bikes and cars to have LED kits on at shows for a good 8-12 hour period and most of these are brighter than what we would use since they are meant for lighted showrooms.
 I also mounted a customer machined switch up on my bar. I just don't like reaching blindly down below me to switch them on or off. But then again you may go with the wireless on/off. they run about 50 bucks. 75 bucks for a set that blinks and "breathes".
 My only beef is that the kits tend to look better on larger "wider" bikes. In the smaller Savage there doesn't seem to be very many good spots to mount them where they can spray light on the chrome and stay hidden. But I like the blue backlight on my black bike.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 07/17/09 at 13:05:25

The wiring diagram in the Clymer manual changed for the 2005-2007 models. I've got the latest edition. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll scan the 2 pages and send them to you.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/17/09 at 13:50:39

I have a 2008 S40 would that diagram be good for it too? I've actually already wired the lights to an external 9 volt that fits in the tool box area along with most of the wires, it works okay, I need to change the switch though since it now doesn't stay down so the lights don't stay on unless you hold the switch down, need to change the battery too it's getting used up. might change to a 12 volt battery, they have small 12 volts, not sure how long those will last, but they should make my lights a little brighter, and yeah, there aren't very many good places to put the lights on the bike, I've done some pin striping with reflective gold pin stripe tape too and I have a vinyl decal on my gas tank and one other decorative element I'm not entirely happy with, I'll post pics when I get the pin striping on the gas tank done/redone.  I'm being careful that all the changes I make to the bike are undoable since I don't yet own it, should be able to pay it off in 2 years anyway, then I get to have some real customizing fun!!!!  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:32:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED light wiring

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.