Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
valve inspection cover leak (Read 167 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
valve inspection cover leak
06/14/09 at 15:14:06

I didn't use any sealant when reinstalling the valve inspection covers. Both of them are oozing motor oil slightly. I've tightened the bolts as much as I dare.

I'm beginning to think I should have used sealant. Is Ultra Copper appropriate?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: valve inspection cover leak
Reply #1 - 06/14/09 at 15:15:13

How do the rubber o-rings look? A very thin film of rtv will help without any problems.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 06/14/09 at 17:47:45

They looked pretty good. They had some sort of gunk on them. Looked a little like petroleum jelly.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/14/09 at 18:12:46

If you look at one of the covers edgewise, does the O-ring poke up? Is the surface it mates to clean/straight? Maybe some fresh Orings would be the answer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 06/15/09 at 06:24:03

I'll get some pictures tonight. I wonder if I can get the intake cover off without removing the gas tank.

One more thing - it's hard to see oil leaks on a black cylinder.  Roll Eyes

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Balderdash

Minnesota
Reply #5 - 06/15/09 at 07:42:59

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 06/15/09 at 06:24:03:

One more thing - it's hard to see oil leaks on a black cylinder.  Roll Eyes

In my minds eye I can see the Suzuki design board sitting around the table discussing what to do about the savage/s40 getting oil leaks so early in milage and leaking oil all down the sides of the bike, making a bad impression of the Suzuki brand for anyone that sees it.  

Design option 1: redesign the engine head area to fix the problem.
Design option 2: paint the engine black so you can't see the oil leaks.

Grin

IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #6 - 06/15/09 at 16:07:45

My 2001 fins are silver so I see my leaks.  I really wasn't going to worry about it, but I'm starting to get sick of either getting oil stains in the garage or remembering to put down a few paper towels.

I still have to give the engine a good cleaning and try to figure out exactly where it's coming from...

Just curious...can you use the high-temp gasket sealant to essentially caulk the outside, rather than tear the engine down and use it in-between?

PS- bike is running great since I re-jetted.  YEAH!

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #7 - 06/15/09 at 18:11:17

Good news:
I'm getting better at tearing the bike down. 90 minute to get seat off, get tank off, remove covers, clean them, reinstall everything

I hate that gas tank.   Angry

Moving on...

I had gone a little crazy on the anti-seize and some had gotten in between the cover and the top. So I cleaned everything, reinstalled (torqued to 7.5 ft-lbs), took it for a ride. It still leaks, but at least this time it's spurting so it's obvious.

Leaks from both covers, the top center of the intake and bottom center of the exhaust.

Added some pictures after cleaning. They look pretty good. After the engine cools I'll tighten them a hair more to see if that fixes it.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/15/09 at 21:45:05

From my point of view, the covers/o-rings look fine. Have you checked the head cover out? Is it smooth?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #9 - 06/16/09 at 06:33:43

I tightened them a little more this morning. The leak has been reduced from a spurt to a bit of moistness.

The surface wasn't completely smooth. I don't have a good picture, but I think there was a rough spot.

I can continue to tighten them slightly until it stops leaking. Or I could strip the bike down and RTV it.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/16/09 at 07:57:51

Or you could pop the covers off, clean & dry the inside, tape & plug off the holes & carefully smooth the O-ring mating surfaces. You could put a small bead of silicone down for the O-rings to seal to around any rough spots they cant seal on & let it cure completely B4 putting the cover back on.

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 06/17/09 at 11:13:50

Use the same RTV as you use on the head cover seal.  Keep the o-rings in the valve-inspection cover and put a thin bead of RTV on the head surface and then seal it up nice and tight with the bolts.  Should take care of 100% of your leaks as it did on mine.  FWIW I had a little weapage of oil moisture on both of my valve inspection covers after I did my head cap plug fix and the RTV fixed the valve cover leak.

-Matt

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #12 - 06/20/09 at 08:17:25

I painted a thin layer of RTV on with a toothpick. I'll ride on Monday and see if that fixed it.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:26:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve inspection cover leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.