prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Dyna Muffler Help
Reply #15 - 06/15/09 at 05:23:20

I tried to load my pictures, but it would not let me, can someone help me?  JUST KIDDING!

Here are the pictures:

That guy was not much better a welder than I am!

Bigger picture:

The weld and the HD clamp sealed things up nice and tight.

Here is the finished product:

I am very pleased with the way this turned out.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #16 - 06/15/09 at 12:51:27

That heat shield look great! Nice clean looking install..

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #17 - 06/15/09 at 13:09:46

To borrow a phrase: Crappity Smack! Angry

The HD bolt I used to attach the muffler to the bracket was longer than the Suzuki one.  The result is a nasty ryb against my tire.  I had checked that thing more than once, I thought, but today I noticed the rubbed place.

My tire is about wore out anyway, so it is not that big a deal.  But take a word from the wise, make sure the bolts do not rub the tire.  And keep on checking.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #18 - 06/15/09 at 22:39:23

Looks awesome, especially the heat shield!  And when I read the first line about posting pics, I could almost see the longtimers around here banging their collective heads on their desks. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #19 - 06/16/09 at 04:50:41

OK, my inital panic attack is over.

I saw the gouge on my tire yesterday when I was in town and realized what was happening.  My first paniced thought was, "I am not going to makeit home."  But then I decided to just go and be careful, obviously I made it.  I then took a side grinder to the offending bolt, that will show him!

This morning I went out and really looked at the gouge and it does not look so bad in the morning light.  Maybe it is not so much a gouge as a very polished strip around the edge of the tire.  There is a little of the rubber gone, but really not that much.  I feel much better about the tire, but am still going to go ahead and get one sooner rather than later.  I am checking prices and installation around here now.

I am still loving the pipe! Cheesy

prechermike   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #20 - 06/16/09 at 05:02:58

I measured the depth of the gouge with this:

And there was really no diference, the way I measured it.  I tried a couple of ways, to see if there was a difference, but didn't find any.

By the way, does anyone know what that thing really is?  It belonged to my father in law, says "No. 513 Pratt & Whitney Made in USA"  and is marked with many measurements.  You screw the handle down and a rod comes out the bottom, to measure depth I guess.  He had ALOT of tools that I have no idea what they are. Huh

prechermike   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #21 - 06/16/09 at 06:56:38

I always call 'em a depth micrometer, but not sure if that's correct. Undecided  That's the function it serves though, only instead of being a "C" shape to measure outside dim., it's set up to measure depth.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/17/09 at 22:37:48

Precher, I think that is a supermicrometer. My father-in-law was a tool and die maker and had a huge box of T&D tools. When he died I got a small Starret "C" micrometer. I told his widow that his tools were very valuable and some young guy starting out would kill to get such a set. Her cousin who worked at the same plant sold them for her.

I do know that it is no longer made, because everyone has gone Digital with their readouts. No longer have to have perfect eyes to read measurements.   Boofer

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #23 - 09/17/09 at 22:42:52

But you never said where you got the heat shield from...

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 09/17/09 at 22:48:57

prechermike wrote on 06/16/09 at 05:02:58:
I measured the depth of the gouge with this:
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/94/l_e9e339f08cd74be88545e9ea5287...

And there was really no diference, the way I measured it.  I tried a couple of ways, to see if there was a difference, but didn't find any.

By the way, does anyone know what that thing really is?  It belonged to my father in law, says "No. 513 Pratt & Whitney Made in USA"  and is marked with many measurements.  You screw the handle down and a rod comes out the bottom, to measure depth I guess.  He had ALOT of tools that I have no idea what they are. Huh

That's a depth micrometer
micrometer is a term applied to many measuring instruments with those type of markings.
The knob at the top more or less spins with a little friction.  This allows someone without the correct feel to make accurate measurements as the big knob is direct drive and a doofus could get any measurement he wanted.
The tip can have various shapes depending on use
Pratt & whitney is a big aircraft company now, but there were many mfr's of these kinds of tools, wouldn't doubt that's how P&W got it's start.

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #25 - 09/18/09 at 08:02:09

prechermike say it isn't so! why would u want to silence the shotgun warning shot?!?! lol

i just put my sporty muffler on and she pops louder now! BUT on shut off no more bang just a poof like a fire was extinguished lol!

but i 4give u if u aren't into scaring people when u roll off the throttle under a bridge ! lol here in west palm that's a big hit  Grin

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:44:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Muffler Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.