prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Dyna Muffler Help
06/10/09 at 13:36:45

OK, I got my brand new HD Dyna slip on muffler yesterday.  I looked this afternoon and as I suspected my clamps and such on my 87 are rusted probably to the point of breaking off (that is the way it usually works).  I sprayed them with some wd40 kind of stuff and I am sure I can break them off.  

If I break the clamp bolt, I guess I can take some kind of grinder and get down there and get the clamp off.  Will the muffler then slip off as it is supposed to do, or will it be grown together as well.  Then what about the surface of the header pipe, will I be able to get that to seal or will I need to smooth that as well?  I would love to start on this in the morning, I might even work tonight so I can.

I am not too worried about the mounting bolts breaking, I am sure they will, but I think I can just slide the old muffler off.

So, am I on the right track?  Any suggestions?  I thought about taking the header off at the engine but that may create more issues with sealing that back on.

Thanks

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Dyna Muffler Help
Reply #1 - 06/10/09 at 13:43:28

When I took mine apart ('08), there was a fibery kinda seal between the header pipe and the muffler.  If yours came with that, it may have helped keep them from growing together.  If not, you may have to use the grinder to get things apart, and some emory cloth or sandpaper to smooth the header pipe back down.  As far as removing the header from the bike, I had to in order to get a good angle of attack on the screws that hold the factory heat sheild on (blankety blank phillips head! Angry).  To get the muffler to seal onto the header, I used the goop that everyone else recommended, and it seems to be working so far; of course I used the heavy duty u-bolt clamps too.  I also haven't noticed a leak where the header goes into the block, but if it starts, it's easy to get to with a replacement gasket.

Good luck with yours! Wink

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 06/10/09 at 15:15:15

By goop do you mean Amish pipe welder?  Cause I don't have a clamp on mine.  It fit's snug.  I could slide the exhaust off the header by hand albeit it had to be a straight pull.  The the goop sealed the two together into one unit.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3 - 06/10/09 at 16:29:30

Yep Jim, although I had the tan goop instead of the grey goop, which is what you had I think.  I used the clamps as a "just in case".  Besides, they were cheap. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 06/11/09 at 07:42:10

OK the dyna is on!

It really wasn't too bad a job, maybe 2 hours total, including a trip to the mufler shop.

I did take the whole thing off at the engine, that did make it easier.  As I predicted two of the three bolts broke off, but having it where I could get to it really made a difference.  I took the muffler and the header to the muffler shop and got a piece of scrap from the barrell, welded it to the header, opened the muffler a tad and gave the man $5.

Once home it was no trouble to bolt everything back together.  The sound is cool, there is alot of popping going on.  I am sure I need to rejet now.  I need to get a heat sheild back over the joint.  

All in all not a bad couple of hours.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 06/11/09 at 10:19:39

I went back and checked my connections, the head bolts were loose, so I tightened then up and that really cut the popping down.  I probably still need to rejet, but there are other things that are more pressing right now.

prechermike   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - 06/11/09 at 13:48:27

Congrats!  I'm wondering if some of the popping I still get is due to a tiny leak somewhere.  Regarding the jetting, one of the other folks added a Dyna muffler, and K&N cartridge filter, and got by on the stock jets.  I'm considering switching the filter too, eventually.  Really don't wanna tear off the carb to get to the jets! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/11/09 at 14:07:47

John_D FSO wrote on 06/11/09 at 13:48:27:
 Really don't wanna tear off the carb to get to the jets! Grin

Yawimp!
get a jet set from lancer.
Loosen the carb duct clamps or use a mirror.
remove bowl screws, they may need convincing with a small vice grip.
drop bowl.
use a short stubby flat blade screwdriver and remove the main.
replace as required.
pilot optional.
then replace bowl with allen socket head screws.

You can tell the wife it's difficult but not us, well at least half of us anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 06/11/09 at 15:02:09

There is no need at all to take off the carb to change the jets,Just take the fuel bowl off.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 06/11/09 at 15:25:00

verslagen1 wrote on 06/11/09 at 14:07:47:
John_D FSO wrote on 06/11/09 at 13:48:27:
 Really don't wanna tear off the carb to get to the jets! Grin

Yawimp!
get a jet set from lancer.
Loosen the carb duct clamps or use a mirror.
remove bowl screws, they may need convincing with a small vice grip.
drop bowl.
use a short stubby flat blade screwdriver and remove the main.
replace as required.
pilot optional.
then replace bowl with allen socket head screws.

You can tell the wife it's difficult but not us, well at least half of us anyway.

I know, I know.  And I don't have to worry about playing up the difficulty to the wife.  Divorced years ago, that's why I can afford the bike! Cheesy
The rejet is one of the next mods on my list, along with fork brace.  Vacation in a couple weeks is at the top of my budgetary requirements though.  Yeehaw! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #10 - 06/11/09 at 19:37:25

After I went back and tightened the header bolts I also adjusted the mix screw.  I really think that about took care of my popping, the leaks were the main culprit.  Don't tell Rocco, but the backfire is almost completely gone. Wink  I have a stock airbox and stock filter and stock jets as well.

prechermike   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 06/12/09 at 00:40:36

prechermike wrote on 06/11/09 at 19:37:25:
After I went back and tightened the header bolts I also adjusted the mix screw.  I really think that about took care of my popping, the leaks were the main culprit.  Don't tell Rocco, but the backfire is almost completely gone. Wink  I have a stock airbox and stock filter and stock jets as well.

That's why I'm not in a huge hurry to change mine.  If yours works fine, I can live with mine for a while.  Besides, I haven't noticed any bluing of the header (beyond what it was from the factory lean settings), so it must not be running any hotter than before. Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #12 - 06/13/09 at 18:45:55

I got the offical HD heat sheilds for my muffler and made them fit today, it is amazing what a grinder can accomplish!  Grin  That really dressed up the pipe and was the right finishing touch! Smiley

prechermike   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 06/13/09 at 22:21:06

prechermike wrote on 06/13/09 at 18:45:55:
I got the offical HD heat sheilds for my muffler and made them fit today, it is amazing what a grinder can accomplish!  Grin  That really dressed up the pipe and was the right finishing touch! Smiley

Yeah, heat shields really make things look "finished".  Of course you realize we all want to see pics now! Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #14 - 06/14/09 at 09:56:55

How 'bout some pics please? Would love to see your Dyna muff install! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 01:26:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna Muffler Help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.