Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaust and Motor Cleaning Technique? (Read 65 times)
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Exhaust and Motor Cleaning Technique?
06/08/09 at 08:43:14

I was talking to a customer at work yesterday about riding around the paving road work near the store. He told me he uses Easyoff oven cleaner to get road tar and grease off his exhaust and motor case whenever he's around that type of work. Anyone else ever heard of this? I could see this working on the exhaust but I was surprised because oven interiors are coated with baked porcelain. I didn't think the engine's paint would hold up to it.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Exhaust and Motor Cleaning Technique?
Reply #1 - 06/08/09 at 09:03:54

Oven cleaner is some caustic crap, it does work, but sooner or later it will get into the aluminum pores and eat them or some crap like that.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/08/09 at 10:30:49

'Easy Off' attacks aluminum, and the directions tell you not to put it on aluminum or paint.  WalMart sells a good engine degreaser for under $2.00. It works well for me.  I remove tar with lacquer thinner, although gasoline works also, but not as fast.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #3 - 06/08/09 at 11:26:26

I'd been using the McGuire motorcycle cleaning products. Effective but slow. I bought a trial bottle of some custom wash at a bike show with a form to buy more over the internet, but with a white bike a lot of products smear badly. I'll just have to take my time cleaning up and reroute my path to work.
 You never tell a customer he sounds like he's full of it, (unless he's such a pita you don't want him back) but this one just sounded WAY out there. You kind of confirmed what I was already thinking.

Thanks

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #4 - 06/08/09 at 11:45:07

easyoff works well on exhaust; bad for the engine, though.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:19:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust and Motor Cleaning Technique?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.