Send Topic Print
F$#K ! (Read 224 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

F$#K !
06/06/09 at 13:46:01

One of the screws on my master cylinder is mauled to hell. Tips or tricks on getting the SOB out before i just whale the whole thing off the handlebars with a hammer and have to buy a new one. SUPER PISSED

IP Logged
Flemming from Denmark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: F$#K !
Reply #1 - 06/06/09 at 13:59:55

drill the head away with a 4 or 5 mm drill (mesure one of the other screws)  - remove the cap - drown the piece in wd40 over nigth - and find a good tool to hold around the little tap and turn it out. (If it's one of the screws on the fluid cap  Smiley)

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/06/09 at 14:58:02

Your situation may be too far gone for this; but there used ot be a product called (I think) "Screw Medic".  An online search turns up nothing at the moment. It was a gritty paste that penetrated into the reccesses of the screws head and provided enough traction for the screwdriver to back it out. If the product is no longer made, perhaps a similar paste could be home made with similar effect?
I wish you well, Sir.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 06/06/09 at 16:16:44

easy out

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/06/09 at 16:20:12

rl153 wrote on 06/06/09 at 16:16:44:
easy out

easy outs are incorrectly named.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 06/06/09 at 17:48:34

Carefully drill the head off. You should be able to get the cover off and then have a little bit of bolt left to get it out.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/06/09 at 18:13:19

First, take a pin punch & LIGHT hammer, if you have to use a punch for a hammer, do so. Work the metal back into position as well as possible. Set a screwdriver into it & SMACK the snot out of it. Not like trying to break cement, but a Quick Slap. Apply a penetrating oil & let soak. Repeat the Smack. Set the impact driver ( you do have one, right?) firmly in the slot & give it a smack. Or, put a slot in it.
Or drill the head off. Maybe when everything else is off you can get hold of the dutchman.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/07/09 at 18:24:21

Never force anything. just get a bigger hammer.

phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #8 - 06/08/09 at 10:48:10

Phelonius wrote on 06/07/09 at 18:24:21:
Never force anything. just get a bigger hammer.

phelonius

...and if that doesnt work pull out the sledge.

Good luck!

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 06/08/09 at 13:05:56

It sounds like a job for the mechanical repair contractor I used to see on the jobs I was working on...BF & I...brute force & ignorance...motto:  No job too small; no hammer too big.

Seriously, this is a tough job.  As said, you might be able to very carefully drill the head off the screw.  Soak the screw threads in a good penetrating oil, maybe Kroil or B'laster PB, and don't waste your time with WD40*.  After that Vicegrips might get the rest of the screw out.  With the brake fluid removed, heating the body of the unit might help...don't use a flame that will melt the aluminum.  Or, heat then cold shock with ice.  Anything to break loose the crud holding the screw in.  

I had an Easy-Out work once...once in 35 years.

In the future, be real picky about the tool used on the screws and bolts.  It might be work buying a set of JIS screwdrivers instead of Phillips, use only 6-point sockets and box end wrenches, and be sure any Allen wrench is in good condition...grind off the end if it's worn.

*WD40 is, as the name implies, the 40th recipe for a water displacing product.  It displaces water well.  It is poor for lubrication, penetration, and rust prevention.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:32:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › F$#K !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.