Send Topic Print
oil level (Read 215 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
oil level
06/04/09 at 14:08:40

I can't tell if I added too much oil .It seemed low a few weeks ago and since then I added a whole quart . It seems like the level reading is hazy and possibly the whole window is full. Iwiped it . I think I see the level line in the middle when I look with a flashlight but it's unclear and I'm not sure if it's a relection line of some kind . Do you think adding a whole quart in a month would fill it too much? I rode about 60 miles. .I guess I will drain it ,And fill it again.Thanks

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: oli level
Reply #1 - 06/04/09 at 14:15:27

Do you know how to read the oil level?

Are you holding the bike upright while reading the oil level?

You can tip the bike further and the oil level should appear.

If you have the bike on the stand, and the window isn't completely clear of oil, you have way too much oil in the sump and you're going to blow out your seals.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Re: oil level
Reply #2 - 06/04/09 at 14:21:18

Thanks I was driving it around today about 10 miles .I think it's too full .I don't think I blew the seals yet ,.Thanks for the info . I checked it with the bike level ,I'll check it with it leaning on the stand .Wow.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #3 - 06/04/09 at 14:26:53

Too much oil "blows your seals"

What seals, valve seals?

...mmmm, maybe that's what happened to my bike  Cheesy

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"I'll check it with it leaning on the stand"

You DO NOT check your oil "with the bike leaning on the stand"
You check it with the bike on the stand + a brick or something
that makes it stand exactly balanced in the middle on BOTH axis.

Good luck
RP

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 06/04/09 at 14:30:27

rl153 wrote on 06/04/09 at 14:21:18:
Thanks I was driving it around today about 10 miles .I think it's too full .I don't think I blew the seals yet ,.Thanks for the info . I checked it with the bike level ,I'll check it with it leaning on the stand .Wow.

You do need to check the oil with the bike level.  If you can't see anything while it is level you can lean it over farther toward the right and you should see the oil then.  If it is one the stand and you see oil, there is way too much.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 06/04/09 at 15:09:34

I just drained out a pint and a half ,and now I see the level between the marks. I can't believe I did that.. How can I tell if I blew my seals .It's not smoking .And it seems to be running ok . Mabee a little rougher or that might be my imagination.I think I only went about ten miles with it too full .Thanks

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 06/04/09 at 15:29:29

That's quite a bit extra - drain the air box as well may have a pretty good collection of oil in there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/04/09 at 15:29:48

If you blew your seals there'd be oil on the floor.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 06/04/09 at 16:17:29

well there is no oil on the floor . which seals are they? The air box is where the air filter is ,right? I'll check it .I think I might have dodged the bullet.thanks for all your help,any other advice would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 06/04/09 at 17:45:52

Air box is accessed with the right side cover, remove the seat first and remove the right side cover (recent models have the S40 emblem on them) to access airbox.

When I check the oil I usually kneel with my left knee down, grab right footpeg with my left hand and grab the black-painted downtube with my right hand, that way I can hold the frame of the bike level easily (my arms aren't all that strong) while I lean down to check the oil level.

I guess the "brick under the side stand" method is a lot better, I just never happen to have anything handy sitting nearby at the time.

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
craigq
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, ON
Reply #10 - 06/04/09 at 17:58:36

I sort of straddle the bike/holding it upright & level and use a mirror propped up to check the oil level Huh

2009 WR250R/X
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/05/09 at 04:19:03

I grab the throttle, drop to my left knee & stand the bike up at the same time. Then I gently wobble the bike back & forth, looking for the spot where Im not pushing or pulling. Thats straight up & down. Its okay if its over one way or the other a bit, its not neurosurgery, but leaning on the sidestand? Thats too much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #12 - 06/05/09 at 05:43:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/05/09 at 04:19:03:
I grab the throttle, drop to my left knee & stand the bike up at the same time. Then I gently wobble the bike back & forth, looking for the spot where Im not pushing or pulling. Thats straight up & down. Its okay if its over one way or the other a bit, its not neurosurgery, but leaning on the sidestand? Thats too much.

I use the same approach. What happened last week was I was on one knee with my hand on the front brake/throttle tilting the bike over. I heard the kick stand flip up (recently greased it). I stood up slowly, but thought I was going to lose her there for a second. But yeah, a piece of 2x4 or something similar would probably be a better approach.

The oil window on my '87 is in really rough shape, same as my brake fluid window, so the light has to be just right to get a good reading. I have better success at night using a flashlight.

FSO
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/05/09 at 06:26:58

I found a small telescoping mirror at Harbor Freight that I use while sitting on the bike. Keep it in my riding jacket as a reminder to frequently check oil. I also have a small .30 cal ammo box that sets the bike up level on the kickstand. The sight glass is a poor choice for something as important as oil level. I would prefer a dipstick.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/05/09 at 09:45:06

Too much oil creates a hydraulic shock every time piston goes down pushed by the explosion in the cylinder. This rapid pulse usually pushes oil through axle bearings and seals. On older manual shift cars it starts gushin' from clutch and around the distributor, also on the dipstick, wherever it finds least resistance. On a bike... you should see it coming around the front belt pulley and maybe from timing inspection/adjustment tab screw. You didn't blow seals. You would know it. And you did dodge the bullet. Take it easy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 07:31:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil level

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.